AX09:FUNimation Liveblog

Topic started by gia on July 4, 2009. Last post by Sonata 5 years, 2 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

FUNimation isn't at the digital distribution focus panel, but they're getting ready for their own panel, so-- good times! Their panel will start in about 10 minutes (12:30pm PST), so stay tuned for the liveblog-- as well as my lengthy write-up of the focus panel.

FINALLY got the net working again. Okay.

Video portal is back up but still under maintenance as they perfect things; there's still a lot to fix (like watching in the UK), so it's constantly updating. They just fixed buffering for most of the country. Yaaaay!

They have NOT lost the One Piece license, so stay tuned for what's going to happen to it in the future. But have no fear.

Mostly just going through upcoming releases, but FYI? Sergeant Frog? They're leaving in all the Gundam references. Even if you don't get the specifics you'll get the idea, Sheehan says. But the rest of the references are mostly Americanized, but not at the level of Shin-chan.

EVANGELION 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE: Okay, here's how it's going. 1.0 in theaters this summer. 1.01 on DVD fall of 2009. 1.11 on DVD and Blu-Ray in the spring of 2010. I know a lot of people are a little iffy on this (why split the release?) but we'll see how it goes in the Q&A.

ANNOUNCEMENT TIME:

They'll have a lot of announcements over the summer, so if you DON'T get the show you wanted this panel, keep your ears out.  But in the meantime: J!NX, Sho-Dojo (I'll do another post about that later-- its their new upcoming social networking site). Sands of Destruction, which we also already heard about...

SLAYERS REVOLUTION DUB CAST:
- ADR Director Michael Sinterniklaas
- Lina: Lisa Ortiz
- Gourry: Eric Stuart
- Amelia: Veronica Taylor
- Zelgadis: Crispin Freeman
- Xellos: Michael Sinterniklaas

In other words, the past dub cast. Sweet!

- DRAGONBALL. As in, Dragon Ball, season one box set, the first thirteen episodes someone ELSE owned, but now FUNimation has it. Episodes 1-31 on five discs, remastered, $49.98, September 15th. Score!

- A surprise special guest? One of FUNimation's major licensing guys, Adam Zehner (not Sheehan, who's running the panel and is in the above photo)h. And he's got a new show for the US that hadn't been licensed but they've been trying because this one's important and they just closed the deal. It's from last season...comedy, action It's... Sengoku Basara! Cue lots of applause! (Until they said last season I was secretly hoping for Macross Frontier. Ah well!) THis literally JUST got closed like...literally someone handed Adam a paper mid-panel to let him know. How awesome is that?

And there's more to come throughout the summer!

Q&A

I'm only going to do the ones that are actually interesting, since there are already so many lame questions...

Okay, I've missed the Q&A talking to FUNi reps on the side. But I'll be chatting with them again before con is out, so give me YOUR QUESTIONS and I'll get 'em answered.
Post by Zeouterlimits (516 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Make sure someone asks about the Eva 1.01 & 1.11 mess that John pointed out.

Oh and convey our sympathies re: FMA:Bro & and the spread of the early episode, that I was really grateful for the global streaming when it was available {it's not anymore}.
Post by joshsanimeblog (33 posts) See mini bio Level 1
@Zeouterlimits: They've been putting up FMA: Brotherhood up for a couple weeks now again.  There had always been a 5 day delay for it though (not sure why) but they've been on time for eps 12 and 13.

Phantom on the other hand...
@joshsanimeblog said:
" @Zeouterlimits: They've been putting up FMA: Brotherhood up for a couple weeks now again.  There had always been a 5 day delay for it though (not sure why) but they've been on time for eps 12 and 13.Phantom on the other hand... "
You may have mis-understood. Before the "events" Funimation video was freely available to be streamed here in Europe (and most of the world afaik) {it's how I was watching FMA}. But no longer. They've changed it to region block now.
@Zeouterlimits: ah, I see
Post by SpaceDrake (11 posts) See mini bio Level 1
For the record, it is very, very likely that the 1.01/1.11 thing is completely out of Funi's hands. Khara and their partners in Japan are in all likelihood mandating that the American market follow a similar release pattern to the Japanese market, in an attempt to prevent any reverse importing. It seems really dumb to us, but a large section of the Japanese animation market still clings to that kind of marketing philosophy.
@SpaceDrake: that's my theory as well.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@SpaceDrake: You know, that's totally fair. I mean, since, for example, play asia is asking $63.00 for 1.11 and I'm sure it won't retail much higher/lower here than $30.00.

@Ze: that blows!

Disregard our general acceptance of a shitty situation Gia! Be our avatar of rage!
Segoku, nice.
 And yeah for lame questions!

@John: Yeah, it kind of does. But I'm grateful that it was available in the first place, and I understand why it's the case now. Poor Funi..
Does Funi only have the first season of Basara, or did they get the upcoming 2nd season as well?
No one likes Macross anyway. ^_^

Basara looked cute, though I'm hesitant about letting just any over the top shonen into my heart.
Post by Nebs (106 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Original English Slayers cast!  YES!!
Question for Reps:
1) If I give them cash upfront, will they just give me 1.11?
2) What if I offer to drive out to their offices to pick it up?
3) When do I get to touch Spice and Wolf?

Oh, and say hi for me.
Post by Bahamut (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Any word on Oh Edo Rocket? They licensed it a while ago, but haven't mentioned it since. When will it be released? And will it be in singles or box sets?
Post by JKH (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Will Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood be released on Blu-ray?
Post by Netstryke (71 posts) See mini bio Level 8
No Macross Frontier this time, but there's always Otakon.

And the Original Dub Cast for Slayers R = Daily Double for me!
Post by Sonata (35,387 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Glad they are sticking with the original Slayers class AwesomeXD
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel