Watch & Learn: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD #47

Topic started by No_name_here on Jan. 12, 2011. Last post by rubberluffy 3 years, 11 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
  Her name's the only thing I ever recognize Lin saying in Japanese.
 Her name's the only thing I ever recognize Lin saying in Japanese.

Animal instincts are, indeed, more useful than night vision goggles in a pitch black forest. I’m glad one of the beast men finally vocalized something I’ve been pointing out since the very beginning of this “get back our original bodies” business - - isn’t it actually preferable to have a super-powered body? Ticking time bomb issues aside, I can see Al’s objections to it. His lack of manly parts is only going to get more troublesome as he passes the age he should’ve hit puberty. Think of all the nights he’ll have to spend alone! Ed’s situation, however, has benefits and costs. I’d think cybernetic limbs would actually give you the edge as a warrior (they certainly helped Lan Fan in this one, didn’t they?) but I can see it coming down the same preference issues of having a real hand over a prosthetic one. The chimeras though? They can keep changing back to their original forms at will. Nothing’s really been lost in this equation. Are those other two beast men just morons, then?

I’ll be curious to see whether Hohenheim proves to actually be a deadbeat Dad when’s all finally said and revealed. Ed’s got plenty of totally justified anger for the man and I’m guessing there’s going to be some really good reason he had to abandon his sons when he did. Actually, the part where "Mr. Ho" sheds some tears was doubly-surprising - - it was the first time he’s expressed any emotion, at all. He’s acted like such a stone to his family, so far, I’ve seriously wondered if there was some kind of arcane, purposed ritual behind the alchemical kids’ conception - - because it couldn't have been love. Even if there wasn’t some plan, and even if remains unsaid, I’m going to maintain that Ed & Al being fathered by a whole mess of souls is probably the reason why they’re so naturally adept at Alchemy.

Woooo... plenty of "in too deep" discussion there. hey! Lan Fan’s back with a vengeance! Gluttony tripping stupidly over the log was a hoot! And Pride possessing Al's armor was about 50 kinds of creepy - - one kind for each eye!

Watch this episode, “Emissary of Darkness,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.   

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk   

Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Well, there may be a bunch of souls trapped inside Hohenheim, but it still is a human body,  they just had sex. And you're right about why Ed and Al are so naturally talented at alchemy. Of course,  a lot of that talent also comes from having seen the gate.

As for those Chimera guys, I'm pretty sure that the lion and ape guys actually want to keep their new bodies. And the other two? I'd imagine their reasons for wanting to go back to normal are similar to Ben Grimm's or Bruce Banner's.
Post by Lurkero (418 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I wouldn't mind being a chimera if I could change into something cool, like a wolf or giant rodent, but a boar and mutant wouldn't appeal to me too much.

I was curious about Hoenheim's fathering as well. He is supposed to be their father, and it seemed like he didn't want to leave them, but there was no emotional connection I felt between the characters. It was starting to seem like the relationship between Shinji and his father in Evangelion.
Post by rubberluffy (596 posts) See mini bio Level 16
There's a cute extra chapter in the manga about Hohenheim and young Ed.  Ed is bullying little Al because he's jealous of the attention his mom is giving Al, and when he's scolded he runs off in a huff.  Hohenheim, while on the toilet, hears Ed complain about how his mom doesn't love him, and Hohenheim makes him hold a bucket of water as punishment.  When Ed gives up on holding it, Hohenheim tells him that Trisha carried him for 9 months at that same weight, and if she didn't love him she wouldn't go through that hardship.  I really wish it had been animated, at least as an OVA.

Post by takashichea (14,493 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I agree with rubberluffy on making this scene into an OVA.
Post by haseo_yashimora (5,507 posts) See mini bio Level 14
lin looks hot in that image xD
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I understand how you can see the usefulness of these automail, but one thing that needs to be understood is that you can't feel with these limbs. You can control it, but you can't feel what you are touching. It's one thing if you were born that way, but imagine having that sense taken from you. That you could no longer feel what was in your hand. Could you really say that if given the chance to have what was taken from you that you wouldn't try?

Al more so. He has no sense of touch. No pain also means no pleasure. He can't feel cold nor warm. He's in a state of constant limbo. Some would describe that as hell.

Ah, the deadbeat dad. Probably one of my most despised character types. Yet another thing I hated about OMD in Spider-man. It took Spider-man and made him a character who chose his elderly aunt over the fate of his own child. Thus wiping the character out of continuity completely. That story and every excuse made for it just treats everyone as if they're idiots.
Staff
@ninjadude853 said:
" Well, there may be a bunch of souls trapped inside Hohenheim, but it still is a human body,  they just had sex. 
Couldn't you have phrased it a little more romantically?
And you're right about why Ed and Al are so naturally talented at alchemy. Of course,  a lot of that talent also comes from having seen the gate.    
Heh... and there is THAT too.
 And the other two? I'd imagine their reasons for wanting to go back to normal are similar to Ben Grimm's or Bruce Banner's. "
Yeah, but Thing's stuck as the Thing and the Hulk has little control over when he changes. These guys can turn it on and off like a faucet.
Staff
@lurkero said:
 He is supposed to be their father, and it seemed like he didn't want to leave them, but there was no emotional connection I felt between the characters. It was starting to seem like the relationship between Shinji and his father in Evangelion. 
Ha... there are recurring themes here....
Staff
@rubberluffy said:
" There's a cute extra chapter in the manga about Hohenheim and young Ed.  Ed is bullying little Al because he's jealous of the attention his mom is giving Al, and when he's scolded he runs off in a huff.  Hohenheim, while on the toilet, hears Ed complain about how his mom doesn't love him, and Hohenheim makes him hold a bucket of water as punishment.  When Ed gives up on holding it, Hohenheim tells him that Trisha carried him for 9 months at that same weight, and if she didn't love him she wouldn't go through that hardship.  I really wish it had been animated, at least as an OVA. 
Man... that would've been a simple scene to go a LONG way in the show.
@Tom_Pinchuk said:

" @lurkero said:

He is supposed to be their father, and it seemed like he didn't want to leave them, but there was no emotional connection I felt between the characters. It was starting to seem like the relationship between Shinji and his father in Evangelion. 
Ha... there are recurring themes here.... "

We saw some of it, like how he was worried about how he was a "monster", but really, I think Hohenheim was scared of really connecting with his children because he knew he'd just outlive them.  That is a scary thought.  I can forgive his leaving to find a way to cure his immortality, no way he knew anything would happen to Trisha, and only to find out that Father was planning something terrible.

Back when Hohenheim first appeared (episode 20), they removed some his dialogue from the manga with Ed where he tried to have a casual conversation, only to get shot down.  It made him look like a guy who didn't really know how to talk to his kid like a father, but tried anyway.   The anime made it more dramatic by removing the early lighter Hohenheim scenes for drama, but I thought it sort of gave a worse impression of him.
Staff
@haseo_yashimora said:
" lin looks hot in that image xD "  
That's Lan Fan, silly!
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I understand how you can see the usefulness of these automail, but one thing that needs to be understood is that you can't feel with these limbs. You can control it, but you can't feel what you are touching. It's one thing if you were born that way, but imagine having that sense taken from you. That you could no longer feel what was in your hand. Could you really say that if given the chance to have what was taken from you that you wouldn't try?
I can sympathize, but you've got to admit that the automail comes in handy quite often.
Ah, the deadbeat dad. Probably one of my most despised character types. Yet another thing I hated about OMD in Spider-man. It took Spider-man and made him a character who chose his elderly aunt over the fate of his own child. Thus wiping the character out of continuity completely. That story and every excuse made for it just treats everyone as if they're idiots. "
Reading this, I really think you want to suplex somebody.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@Tom_Pinchuk:   
Absolutely that automail could come in handy. Better than nothing. It's even where real word prosthetic could be heading. It's just that if you went to amputees and told them there was a way to get their limb back. I think you'd get a high percentage to try. I will say that Edward has less motivation that Al.

" Reading this, I really think you want to suplex somebody. "

Not really. Just venting frustration. No matter how much I may disagree with someone. Physical violence is never appropriate. Even to joke about when talking about real people.

It's just that OMD was a shining example of everything you shouldn't do in story writing. They undid decades of character development and history. All because they wanted Peter to not be married.
Post by Tempestangel (123 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I reeeeally need to nab brotherhood ><
Post by haseo_yashimora (5,507 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @haseo_yashimora said:
" lin looks hot in that image xD "  
That's Lan Fan, silly! "
thats that i ment ops xD
Staff
@Tempestangel said:
" I reeeeally need to nab brotherhood >< "
Yes, you do. And it is free online, so...
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @ninjadude853 said:
" Well, there may be a bunch of souls trapped inside Hohenheim, but it still is a human body,  they just had sex. 
Couldn't you have phrased it a little more romantically?
And you're right about why Ed and Al are so naturally talented at alchemy. Of course,  a lot of that talent also comes from having seen the gate.    
Heh... and there is THAT too.
 And the other two? I'd imagine their reasons for wanting to go back to normal are similar to Ben Grimm's or Bruce Banner's. "
Yeah, but Thing's stuck as the Thing and the Hulk has little control over when he changes. These guys can turn it on and off like a faucet. "
1. JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!?!
2. yup
3. Ben and Bruce's respective issues are without any doubt worse than these chimeras, but it's the same basic situation. I think the issue is that they're afraid to be seen as monsters, like the Hulk is. And of course the lion and ape guys actually appear to agree with you.
Post by Rxanadu (83 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@rubberluffy: Well, in terms of the general story in the anime, Ed and Al's relationship with their mother is extremely close.  It would probably make little sense to build up the hostility towards their father by adding that part in there.  And besides, it was an extra chapter in the manga; I wouldn't want to sift through the comments on what most viewers would call filler just to have about 5% of them attempting to tell them it was also part of the manga as FILLER.
@rxanadu: 
Not really sure what you're trying to tell me, but I did mention I wished they had put it in as an OVA.  They could have even have done it like the animated 4koma shorts.  I only posted about the chapter in response to the discussion on Hohenheim's feelings for his kids.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel