Watch & Learn: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD #43

Topic started by No_name_here on Jan. 3, 2011. Last post by Roldan 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
  Yes, the references get this obscure. Norimaro, the Japan-exclusive fighter from SF Vs. MSH.
 Yes, the references get this obscure. Norimaro, the Japan-exclusive fighter from SF Vs. MSH.

Ha! My changed-name comrades got their asses handed to them! I suppose there’s a comment to be made somewhere about Drachma's utter defeat re-enacting the Russo-Japanese War of 1904 but, even if there isn't, you can say "Damn!" if I wasn’t surprised. Maybe it's odd to be relieved about a massacre, but better Drachma be the sacrifees than Briggs, right?   

I guess we’re straddling arcs/seasons right now, but somewhere recently, the show really started delivering a lot of great cliffhangers that deftly play on expectations. I started to sniff that something was fishy in Zampano’s seeming-betrayal before the hammer struck, so to speak, but boy was that a lightning chain reaction of surprises. Hoo! They turned the tables on Envy and it was thoroughly enjoyable! I thought we saw his/her true form before, but now we see the true true form, without the juice of the stone, and he/she actually looks like a homunculis! Kind of surprised that Scar didn’t squish the little bugger in his hand. Maybe he’s getting soft.

Speaking of getting soft, Lust looks progressively more pathetic as this shows goes along. Mustang offed her so many episodes ago, yet everybody's still having a bear of time killing the rest of the sins. What gives?  

Pull back the bolt and grease the action, because we're going shooting scattershot, now!

  • It's more of a question of who isn’t an alchemist in this show, isn't it? Dr. Marcoh trick with the Philosopher’s Stone surprised me, but I suppose I should've figured he was an alchemist earlier, considering that they're the scientists of this world.
  • The bluffing game with the mustached guy was a real, tense moment, but does he feel like an unnecessary  tag-along to anybody else? He reminds me of that prop comedian in STREET FIGHTER VS. MARVEL SUPER HEROES who was too silly to be exported outside of Japan.
  • I thought that portion with Hohenheim in the last episode was a flashback? His declaration of war is much more daring, now. Still, it's a little easy to confuse Ed and Al’s ma and this Rose girl. Who is she? Did she show up before? Is she Hughes’ widow? 
  • It's a bit amusing that the group comes to a crossroads in their journey at an actual crossroads. Scar had a good reason for May to scat, but I’m going to put down some honorary XP points on a bet that she’ll be back eventually to get her hands on Al’s human form. Who wants to bet against me?

Watch this episode, “Bite of the Ant,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.     

  

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by rubberluffy (584 posts) See mini bio Level 16
We knew Marcoh was an alchemist, Ed seeked him out back in the early episodes due to his knowledge of P. Stones, and he was directly involved in making them in Ishval.   He was under an assumed name and helping people with Stone power medical alchemy.  That was episode 6.
 
Rose is back from episode 3, in Liore with the corrupt priest.  Liore had that huge pseudo civil war, so it is all rebuilding.
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
the only major not alchemists are winry, rose, oliver, sig, the briggs, the homonculi, mustang's squad, and yoki. 
Post by zaldar (1,253 posts) See mini bio Level 15
yup most of the main characters are alchemists here.
Post by Lurkero (405 posts) See mini bio Level 7
At this point in the series if you are not an alchemist, great fighter, or homunculus...you do not belong. It's like what happened to the side characters in Dragonball once the series got into Dragonball Z.
 
Also, Mustang got to off Lust early in the series because he is badass. His victory was a showcase while the other battles with homunculus drag out the rest of the series. 
 
 I'm Just sayin'. Snapping fingers to make fire is pretty badass.
 
Post by zaldar (1,253 posts) See mini bio Level 15
still it does seem like she was one of the weaker homuculi which is pretty strange as for most men I know (me included) lust is a pretty strong emotion...
Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@zaldar said:
" still it does seem like she was one of the weaker homuculi which is pretty strange as for most men I know (me included) lust is a pretty strong emotion... "
Well if you don't include the dimension-belly that Gluttony has, i'd consider him (gluttony) as the weakest. He gets the funniest yet most pathetic death of all the homonculus.
 
Also Envy's true form really shows why she got the name "Envy".
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@lurkero said:
" At this point in the series if you are not an alchemist, great fighter, or homunculus...you do not belong. 
Ha ha... well said. The situation's kind of comparable to I saw Yoda and Sidious before the prequels. Yeah, it made sense from them to be deadly with lightsabers, but I didn't picture them handling the force (or alchemy) in such a dynamic way.
Also, Mustang got to off Lust early in the series because he is badass. His victory was a showcase while the other battles with homunculus drag out the rest of the series.    
That'd would've been hilarious if that had been included for the bible in the series. "Mustang kills in Lust in episode 22 because he's badass."
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@rubberluffy said:
" We knew Marcoh was an alchemist, Ed seeked him out back in the early episodes due to his knowledge of P. Stones, and he was directly involved in making them in Ishval.   He was under an assumed name and helping people with Stone power medical alchemy.  That was episode 6. Rose is back from episode 3, in Liore with the corrupt priest.  Liore had that huge pseudo civil war, so it is all rebuilding. "
Yeah, I do remember that small civil war in Liore and the early revelation about the P. Stones, but man... the rest of that stuff is like 40 episode callback. This show needs pop up footnotes sometimes.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@Roldan said:
" @zaldar said:
" still it does seem like she was one of the weaker homuculi which is pretty strange as for most men I know (me included) lust is a pretty strong emotion... "
Well if you don't include the dimension-belly that Gluttony has, i'd consider him (gluttony) as the weakest. He gets the funniest yet most pathetic death of all the homonculus.  Also Envy's true form really shows why she got the name "Envy". "
That is a pretty big thing to discount. I don't know, I'd think Sloth was the weakest so far. He's the one who needed help. And Gluttony got killed again and again.
Post by rubberluffy (584 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @rubberluffy said:
" We knew Marcoh was an alchemist, Ed seeked him out back in the early episodes due to his knowledge of P. Stones, and he was directly involved in making them in Ishval.   He was under an assumed name and helping people with Stone power medical alchemy.  That was episode 6. Rose is back from episode 3, in Liore with the corrupt priest.  Liore had that huge pseudo civil war, so it is all rebuilding. "
Yeah, I do remember that small civil war in Liore and the early revelation about the P. Stones, but man... the rest of that stuff is like 40 episode callback. This show needs pop up footnotes sometimes. "
Maybe you should keep a notepad for jotting down info, because coming up is a LOT of stuff you might end up forgetting :P
Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @Roldan said:
" @zaldar said:
" still it does seem like she was one of the weaker homuculi which is pretty strange as for most men I know (me included) lust is a pretty strong emotion... "
Well if you don't include the dimension-belly that Gluttony has, i'd consider him (gluttony) as the weakest. He gets the funniest yet most pathetic death of all the homonculus.  Also Envy's true form really shows why she got the name "Envy". "
That is a pretty big thing to discount. I don't know, I'd think Sloth was the weakest so far. He's the one who needed help. And Gluttony got killed again and again. "
well the thing is we haven't seen anything with Sloth, but we have with Gluttony. But when Sloth actually gets to play, i'm sure you'll change your mind about it :P Also what i meant was more his final death.
 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel