Watch & Learn: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD #31

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 4, 2010. Last post by Psychotime 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 Man... that honestly looks like he drew it on with a sharpie.
 Man... that honestly looks like he drew it on with a sharpie.

Somehow, it gladdens to me that Ed excuses his cheapness with the same kind of lines Wimpy uses in POPEYE. “I’ll pay you the 520 cens back when you’re fuhrer” really ain’t that far off from saying “I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” Man, that’d be hilarious if this ended up being one of his dominant character traits in this show. Imagine that; the hero being a lousy mooch at the same time. You can rely him to save your village, but don’t ever rely on him to pay you back.

I suppose this is a good time to bring up these alchemical kids’ motivations. Isn’t it actually a little out of their interest to be trying to regain their bodies at this time? Al’s asking Ed what he’s going to do after he pulls that off as if this whole business with the homunculi won’t still be a concern then.  

Would they be more powerful with all their flesh back? Is the automail limiting Ed to a fraction of his full potential? Because he’s certainly made some nifty weapons out of that metal. Also, while “sleeping alone” and not getting to tastes juicy apple pies is certainly a drag, isn’t Al less vulnerable as a suit of armor? Sure, it’d be easy to wipe the rune off, but that’s one vulnerable spot as opposed to the dozens on the human body (heart, throat, lungs, et cetera.)

This Crimson Alchemist guy seems like he’s going to be a great villain. Is he supposed to be one of the homunculi? Maybe he represents one of the remaining sins? I'm going to guess "Pride" on account of those gaudy suits. And, man, I felt kind of silly for feeling tension over that “wrist bomb” gag he pulls on the one guard, but hoo boy… that one got me to hold my breath.

Watch this episode, “The 520 Cens Promise,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.   

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here &   here. Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by rubberluffy (577 posts) See mini bio Level 16
 They've already discussed that Al in the suit is somewhat of a time bomb.   His soul could separate from the suit at any time, be it in 1 week or 1 year, and then he'll be gone.  Not too mention he has that blood seal which if damaged will do that same thing.

Kimblee isn't a homunculi, we've already seen he's just a State Alchemist who isn't really a fan of Ishbalans.   And he wears the suits because Hiromu Arakawa thinks people who wear white suits are weird/creepy.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Also, the debt thing isn't Al being cheap--he makes plenty of money as a State Alchemist.  It's more of a pact between Al and Roy to stay alive and reach their goals.  Sort of a setup for a "Dammit, I can't die here, I need to pay Roy back his 520 cens!" line.  Or, if you're a pessimist, it is a setup for a "You bastard! How could you die!  You still owed me 520 cens!" line.

And yes, Kimblee is a delightful villain.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Would you like a prostetic leg?
Post by Lurkero (404 posts) See mini bio Level 7
If it weren't for the vulnerabilities of their current states I would have assumed AL and Ed would have preferred to stay in their current states to fight the homunculi.

However, when you consider that Al could turn pretty much ANYTHING into a weapon (the arm easily replaced by any metal piece he can carry) and Ed could easily be lost if the blood seal is broken I would much rather have my real body back.
Post by zaldar (1,247 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I give you that the blood seal is probably harder to erase than a human would be to kill if he was all alone but remember there is nothing keeping the kid from putting the automail or from having one his size made when he gets his body back.  Then he would be very protected.  Al's ability to make anything into a weapon has all ready been discussed.
Did everyone forget which one is Ed and which one is Al?  lol

Anyway, we're about to be introduced to the most badass female in FMA.
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Imagine having a reminder of you greatest mistake with every single step you take, thats why he wants a real leg.
Post by Hellos (2,482 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@lurkero said:
"If it weren't for the vulnerabilities of their current states I would have assumed AL and Ed would have preferred to stay in their current states to fight the homunculi.  However, when you consider that Al could turn pretty much ANYTHING into a weapon (the arm easily replaced by any metal piece he can carry) and Ed could easily be lost if the blood seal is broken I would much rather have my real body back."

Switch those names around. :P
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
To be fair, there do seem to be some people who get weaponized automail voluntarily.
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Eventually Al's armor will reject his soul, killing him. It may take literally thousands of years, or maybe it'll be seconds from when he says it. But if he stays in that body, it will happen. Ed on the other hand doesn't really care about getting his body back very much, his goal is to return his brother back to his body.

And the not paying Mustang back thing was just Ed's way of showing Mustang that he's behind him.
Post by Psychotime (53 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Al wants to be a human being again. Ed really doesn't care about lacking fleshy limbs, he's doing it all for his bro. That's pretty much it.
@rubberluffy:  Great job spoiling speculation for new watchers, pal. I bet they appreciate it.
@psychotime: 
And what exactly did I spoil?  I'm going to assume you mean Kimblee being Pride.  There's no reason to think he's a homunculi if you pay attention.  He uses alchemy, currently has 2 Stones on his person and has aged while in prison.  And if he was Pride there's no reason for Envy to not address him as such in private.   This has all been seen thus far.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

With Kimblee on the loose things are going to get intense again. I'm curious as to when Scar had the time to travel to the North and hide his brother's documents. This was a simple ep though and I'm ready to get back to the action. Oh, but Ed and Al need to figure out how to do other kinds of alchemy so they can be more badass.

@sotyfan16: 
Its been years since the war ended, Scar had a lot of time to travel up north.
@rubberluffy:  Don't ruin speculation. Part of the entertainment for any ongoing story is the speculation of what will happen next or what's going on now.

@psychotime: 
Get rid of that spoilered stuff.  Sotyfan16 has said before that they have a compulsion to click on them and there's no point mentioning all that this early.  YOU'LL be the one spoiling a bunch for new viewers.
@rubberluffy:  Oh please. Are you saying people have no such thing as self control? That's really their problem and no one else's. Spoiler tags are created for THEIR benefit.  If they want to look at something that says in clear view that it's a spoiler, they have nothing to whine about other than their own stupidity for clicking it when they don't actually want to.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel