Watch & Learn: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD #23

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 4, 2010. Last post by SamJaz 4 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

That background looks like a picnic blanket. You figure he's going to eat them all?
 That background looks like a picnic blanket. You figure he's going to eat them all?

Since I’ve been ranting about the titles in this show, I’m still a little vexed as to why Ed's the fullmetal alchemist instead of just the metal alchemist. Isn’t Mustang just the fire alchemist? Is there a hierarchy? Does the “full” refer to the fact that he doesn’t need transmutation circles?

There’s something very enjoyable and very... freeing about seeing your enemies become enemies. So, let me tell you, I was rocking around in my chair and punching my fist into my palm (in excitement, not for some spell*) when Scar and Gluttony went at it.     

* Speaking of spells, I like the presitgiation here a lot. It’s more economical than the AVATAR toon's and yet it still has more rhythm  than the POWER RANGERS'.

Back on point - - I always prefer complexities over simple black and white morality plays, so it was actually exciting (as exciting as any action scene, really) to see all the heroes debate about what to do with  Gluttony once they’d caught him. They're arguing for their interests, and you can see how the politics are intersecting, all the while this bound-up mass of flesh is just sitting there, writhing  and gurgling like John Carpenter's THING or that "bag man" in AUDITION. And when he pops... hoo boy... you don't know who he's going to go after first.

Winry’s finally warming up to Ed, too. I could’ve called this (and I did) many episodes ago. Although, given how serialized shows go, I reckon it’s going to be a loooooooong time before they hook up. First, he'll need to get  what's going on, then she's going to have to say how she feels, then he's going to blunder it, then another suitor's going to enter the mix,  and so on and so on.

Ahhhhhh.... yes, I’ll fess up to it. You guy weren’t kidding about this show getting a lot better after my cut-off point.  

Watch this episode, “Girl on the Battlefield,” below, make your own decisions, and then read my comments on the previous episode here.    

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  & UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon here &     here .

Post by rubberluffy (596 posts) See mini bio Level 16
No mention of Ling and Ran Fan's total amazingness in this episode?  Lan Fan cutting off her arm to trick Bradley (which she learned from Ed back in episode 15), and Ling ramming a grenade down Gluttony's throat.  Two of the best parts of this episode.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@rubberluffy said:
" No mention of Ling and Ran Fan's total amazingness in this episode?  Lan Fan cutting off her arm to trick Bradley (which she learned from Ed back in episode 15), and Ling ramming a grenade down Gluttony's throat.  Two of the best parts of this episode. "
It was. I was going to make a comparison to the new Danny Boyle/James Franco survival movie... but I ran out of space!
Post by SamJaz (13,022 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Fullmetal is one kanji in Japanese, and it's used to symbolise stubbornness. We might say "Stubborn as a goat", the Japanese say "Unmalleable as Fullmetal"
That, and Full Metal Jacket Bullets kick ass.

Beauty of FMA. NO LOVE TRIANGLES!

I'm serious. No intersecting love interests. The closest thing we get is... Nope. Nothing. People like to think that Olivia Armstrong (Muscleman's totally hot and absolute baddass of an older sister) had a thing going on with Roy, but I doubt it.

I think Ed beats the ever loving shit out of the one other guy to come onto Winry, but that might have been because the guy was evil and more interested in pissing Ed off. Also a grown man. He didn't even come onto Winry that much to be fair. Actually, I think Alphonse did that...
I forget the reasons for that fight, just that Alphonse kicked more ass there than John McClane on Christmas day. 

Just three more episodes until 26... oh hells yes...

Also, am I the only one that thought TEENAGE MUTANT HERO TURTLES when they saw the article image?

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Definitely have to love the sacrifice of the arm to throw off Bradley along with Ling shoving a grenade down Gluttony's throat. Kind of surprised he didn't bite the arm off, though. One hell of a move at the end by Gluttony. It's almost like a play on how he's a bottomless pit so he's got a black hole-like thing in him. 

Ed and Al should have noticed the Alchehistory the girl used to save Scar

Despite the advantages of having Winry around I'm glad she is gone for now because sometimes things moved a little slow in her scenes. At least she is getting in touch with her feelings.

@sotyfan16: 
You mean Alkahestry.

Info time!  Alkahestry comes from the word Alkahest, a  universal solvent said to be able to dissolve any other substance.  Named by Paracelsus (aka Phillippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim), a famed alchemist who lived around 500 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkahest
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Ha! That reminds me of the old joke--if you invent a universal solvent, what do you store it in?
@vergilius: Santa's Sack.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@rubberluffy:
Ah..I did not know the spelling so thanks for clearing that up. God damn Hohenheim!
Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@Tom_Pinchuk said:

Ahhhhhh.... yes, I’ll fess up to it. You guy weren’t kidding about this show getting a lot better after my cut-off point.   

You haven't even come to the best part of the series. Not to hype it up to much but the last 15 episodes are incredible.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,330 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I wonder when the Brotherhood movie is coming out
@mrassh0le: Didn't know there was one. There's really no need for one, though the OVA's are amazing.
@SamJaz: 
It was announced right after the last episode ended.  There hasn't been much info about it.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel