Watch & Learn: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood #12

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 17, 2010. Last post by CharredKnight 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
  Let me tell you something, brother!
 Let me tell you something, brother!

Ha! Seven years after the fact and these kids are still asking, “What is the Matrix?”

Anyway… there’s so much to make pithy comments about here. I’m sure PETA loved this episode. I’ve seen plenty of shows with preachy vegetarian messages, but this is the first one I’ve ever encountered with a pro-carnivorous theme.  In terms of themes, this was actually one of the better-written episodes, with a succinct comparison drawn between alchemy and “the circle of life.”  But, man, the humor in this show is wearing on me…

The dub acting in this show’s actually been quite good, so maybe this is just an issue of things getting lost in translation, but the comic relief rarely works. And opportunities are ignored where it could work, like when the Elric boys visit their old teacher and she comments that Al looks different, somehow. That would’ve been a ripe line to play for laughs, gently nudging the absurdity of this kid possessing an entire suit of armor. It would’ve even reminded me of one of my favorite gags in the SIMPSONS - - the one where Homer fantasizes about using a million dollars to turn himself into a gold colossus only for people to think, at first, that all that’s changed about him is that maybe he’s gotten a haircut. That would’ve been funny, but instead we get some really bizarre slapstick, like Ed’s mentor rabbit punching him for no good reason! And then what has to be a nod to SOUTH PARK with the spontaneous projectile vomit (although the explanation for that was pretty good.)

An aside, I hope these kids put their hurt on their Dad but good once they cross paths with him again. I know it’s coming, and he’s got it coming to him, for sure.

Anyway, I think I’m going to take my indefinite hiatus from this after the next episode. Aside from preferring to watch it on DVD, the comedy has just become too distracting for me. Call it a failing in me.

Watch this episode, “All is One, One is All” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here

  

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
i have yet to see the dub for brotherhood but in the last anime the sub and dub sounded like too different personalities
Post by mediaright (75 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Yeah...broken record here...but in the first series, I believe they DID milk that line for some humor and it was a lot more obvious and humorous when she punched his guts out. 
 
Again, it's worth seeing the first show because you'll fall in love with it. Then it's worth coming back to Brotherhood because you'll just HAVE to find out what happens next.
Post by SamJaz (11,281 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Well, next episode, you'll see why. That punch was not for comedy. 
I watched the sub, so I'm not sure about the dub's flaws.  In the sub, however, the comedy is either funny or not there. I highly recommend watching the sub online.
Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@mediaright said:
" Yeah...broken record here...but in the first series, I believe they DID milk that line for some humor and it was a lot more obvious and humorous when she punched his guts out.  Again, it's worth seeing the first show because you'll fall in love with it. Then it's worth coming back to Brotherhood because you'll just HAVE to find out what happens next. "
You're an idiot. He should just stick to Brotherhood. If you think the first 12 episode are dull, think twice but with more random stories. Sure i still watch the first but that's because one of my first anime's and i like nostalgia. But if you ask me then you should know that the last 20 episodes of brotherhood is better then all the episodes of the first FMA.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
You are not alone Tom. I don't recall laughing at anything in FMA. Not only was it not funny but it felt forced, like the author wanted to add slapstick comedy for young teens to watch.
 
When I was watching FMAB I was much more interested in the philosophy and themes of the world and the conflict of the philosopher's stone.
Post by Hellos (2,482 posts) See mini bio Level 11
  
  
Post by WarlordPayne (33 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Gasero said:
" You are not alone Tom. I don't recall laughing at anything in FMA. Not only was it not funny but it felt forced, like the author wanted to add slapstick comedy for young teens to watch.  When I was watching FMAB I was much more interested in the philosophy and themes of the world and the conflict of the philosopher's stone. "
I hate the "comedy" in FMA, too.  Luckily the first series toned it way down about halfway in and it was much better for it.  I keep hoping Brotherhood will get rid of it, too but no such luck yet. 
 
The only anime I've seen where that crap worked at all was Trigun.
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I don't really hate the comedy, it seems random most times but I've never been too bothered by it.
Post by rubberluffy (567 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@WarlordPayne: 
Most of the comedy begins to be toned down in episode 14.   Which is when the series begins to leave what is essentially the intro/first act, as things actually come to light and the characters begin to realize just exactly WHAT is going on, with episode 15 being a transitional breather before the ball really gets rolling.
 
And most people shut up with all the whining and complaining by episode 19, which is one of the best episodes, ever.
Post by SamJaz (11,281 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@rubberluffy: Yeah, 13-14 marks the beginning of the end of the comedy. Once they see episode 19, no one complains. 
Yes, you see a few instances of the slaptick afterwards, but its so few and far between that you just don't care.
 
@Tom_Pinchuk: You have to remember, the first 12 episodes are the introductory arc, and even fans of Brotherhood agree that they suck. Whatever you do, do not use that arc as a measuring stick to judge the rest of the series.
Compare watching Rebuild Of Evangelion 1:11 instead of the first six episodes, only the team didn't really know what they were doing. THAT's what you're getting from all you've seen in Brotherhood so far. You've endured the crap part, the tutorial level so to speak. Now the story gets rolling. 
 
Just give it to episode 19. That is where Shit Gets Real and Brotherhood truly begins. What comes after that is something that rivals Evangelion in depth and complexity, yet Gurren Lagann in badassery and sheer "HOLY SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED!!"

Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I like the comedy as I feel it's just another thing that separates the FMA franchise from other anime. And Tom, Izumi Curtis throws up blood.

Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@sotyfan16 said:
"

I like the comedy as I feel it's just another thing that separates the FMA franchise from other anime. And Tom, Izumi Curtis throws up blood.

"
Really? The comedy SEPARATES FMA? I'd say it makes the show more similar to other shonen shows. The major shonen One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail all have the slapstick comedy mixed with serious tones and adventure. To me, FMA would stand out more if it avoided that kind of stuff.
Post by mediaright (75 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Roldan: Listen...I don't believe I ever did anything to personally insult you, so if we just assume not resort to crass things you wouldn't say in-person, I'd really appreciate it. 
 
I wasn't commenting on whether he should continue Brotherhood really. He had already said he was going to put in on-hiatus. Now, I do happen to agree with that decision, but I was saying that the first one does a far better job making you like the characters and preparing you for Brotherhood. If you really think someone is an idiot because of a mild personal opinion like that, than there are bigger problems at-work.
Post by mediaright (75 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@SamJaz: I've seen both, at-least enough to know that it's both the same (mainly anyway) cast from the original FMA dub, and that the dub for the original FMA is still regarded as one of the best dubs to ever be released. This one seems to hold up and has the same director. So sub or dub, you should be fine on this one.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Gasero: 
While One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tale have their comedy, it seems to me only Naruto and Bleach are alike in that regard. Fairy Tale is a silly, fun series to begin with and One Piece is certainly goofy. With every ep I see of FMA the comedy feels like its own and is part of why I come back for more.
 
@mediaright:

I like the dub. But the anime I think has the best dub is Black Lagoon. Other good dubs to me are Code Geass, Bleach, Death Note, and Afro Samurai. Man I need to find a comedy or something with a good dub.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
@Roldan:  No name calling please!!
Post by Roldan (81 posts) See mini bio Level 7
@mediaright said:
" @Roldan: Listen...I don't believe I ever did anything to personally insult you, so if we just assume not resort to crass things you wouldn't say in-person, I'd really appreciate it.  I wasn't commenting on whether he should continue Brotherhood really. He had already said he was going to put in on-hiatus. Now, I do happen to agree with that decision, but I was saying that the first one does a far better job making you like the characters and preparing you for Brotherhood. If you really think someone is an idiot because of a mild personal opinion like that, than there are bigger problems at-work. "
Should've called you poopie face? o.o.. i think your old enough to hear the I-word (didn't know people took it seriously) . yeah sorry for taking it personally but going for a show that has almost similar episodes in it's first 20 episodes would be like buying Madden 10 when you've got Madden 11.
@sotyfan16 said:
@mediaright:

I like the dub. But the anime I think has the best dub is Black Lagoon. Other good dubs to me are Code Geass, Bleach, Death Note, and Afro Samurai. Man I need to find a comedy or something with a good dub.


"
I'd go with School Rumble if you haven't seen it. it has a superb dub that almost is better then the sub itself.
Post by mediaright (75 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Roldan said:
Should've called you poopie face? o.o.. i think your old enough to hear the I-word (didn't know people took it seriously) . .
Chances are very good that I'm even older than you. Since there's no way to show tone on the web, yeah, people generally take what you say for face value (and usually think you mean it), unless you're good friends with them and they know you do that kind of thing and not mean it.
Post by CharredKnight (74 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Roldan:
Agree, I am watching the first, and dear god theirs a plot hole every episode.  I mean nearly every change makes the episode worse. 
 
Maria Ross: I don't agree with your dangerous decision so I am going to secretly protect you by standing outside the door. 
Ed: Since their gone, I have no one to explain the basics of Alchemy too.  Al even though your a genius where just going to have you stand around so I can explain things you should already know. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel