FIST OF THE NORTH STAR #4 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 23, 2013. Last post by Donwun 11 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Online Now
Staff

One of you lunatics recently pointed out a series of clips on YouTube that cleverly redub FIST OF THE NORTH STAR episodes with new, snarky dialog. This might be the first case where such a parody simply can’t be as funny as the source material, because this show is already so utterly ridiculous that I’m cracking up over every scene.

I mean...

1. This one opens up with a morbidly obese, black-hearted behemoth rampaging around, howling “It hurts! It hurts! It hurts!” because he got a little cut on one of his fingers.
  2. He then murders a bunch of his cronies by bouncing their steel clubs back at them with his fat.
  3. Later on, Ken literally gets his arm stuck in the bad man’s fat folds (SEE ABOVE).
  4. As if that were shaping up to be any kind of a setback, our hero basically just shrieks until he figures out another technique that instantly renders this seemingly-invincible man into all-too-dead pile of goo.

…there’s really not much left to parody after that?

This episode didn’t even seem to bother with setting up conflict and just vengeance in the way that the three previous ones did. The scenes of the bad guys oppressing innocents to earn their righteous comeuppance from Ken are so negligible that they might as well not even be there. The show’s basically just saying, “Look at these jerks. You know they’ve got it coming!” before devoting most of the episode to Ken gloriously shredding through the scumbags.

I might criticize the show for not developing its plot much , but the simplicity of this non-stop carnage is just so sublimely perfect. I could watch Ken powering up and crushing skulls all day. Hell, I’ve already seen the exact same animation of him doing just that (this episode’s already starting to recycle quick sequences from the last couple episodes).

It’s going to get harder to say anything new about this show (in the interest of this column), but watching it is just never going to get old.

Watch this episode, “Attack the Bloody Cross! The Secret Technique, Death by Soft Strikes!” here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

About the Author

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk
Post by Donwun (112 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I have to warn ya Tom although like yourself I enjoy Fotns for all its goofy campiness one starts to wonder where the actual story starts to kick in……and well it takes it’s sssswwweet time

Until about episode 22 you will be seeing a villain of the day theme throughout the series and although amusing it gets just a lil grading

The movie version did a decent job of cutting things relatively short in comparison but in that movie there was no resolution and a few things were changed

I enjoy this show as well but It takes sooo long to get things going without building any supporting foundation in the meantime unlike others you are currently reviewing things can seem even more repetitive…..however never not hilarious!

Still one of my all time favourites and if you are aware of the story structure beforehand I think you would appreciate it more

Btw I did my own BLOG writeup on the entire anime franchise myself a couple of months ago since it seemed a few were interested at the time as well as a special FOTNS PODCAST which was also fun if anyone wants to check out

And lastly….a personal favourite scene

Post by Donwun (112 posts) See mini bio Level 12

You should also get a kick out of this

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel