Weekly Figure Preview: 1/20/11

Topic started by ShadowKnight508 on Jan. 19, 2011. Last post by ShadowKnight508 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,357 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Welcome, my fellow AnimeVice members, to this the second installment of the Weekly Figure Preview feature here on the Vice. Last week, we previewed three anime figures (Dizzy, Tenshi, Nanoha) along with one nendoroid (Archbishop), and this week will feature the same preview formula. All of the figures/nendoroids that will be featured in this preview can be found on Play-Asia. The line up for today, as follows:

1. Shining Hearts 1/8th Scale PVC: Maxima (Kotobukiya Corporation)
  2. Angel Beats! 1/8th Scale PVC: Yuri (GoodSmile Company)
  3. Black Rock Shooter 1/8th Scale PVC: Black Gold Saw Animation Version (GoodSmile Company)
  4. Steins;Gate Nendoroid PVC: Makise Kurisu (GoodSmile Company)

I will give readers a preview of each figure, complete with image, descriptions, price, and my overall thoughts on each figure.

Shining Hearts 1/8th Scale PVC: Maxima

Produced by the Kotobukiya Corporation and licensed by SEGA as part of their official Shining Hearts product line, the 1/8th Scale Shining Hearts PVC Maxima figure is expected to see global market release around May 2011 in Japan and on Play-Asia's site for roughly 6,640 Yen (excluding taxes). It is crafted by talented figure sculptor Keijiro Migakida for the Kotobukiya Corporation.
Figure Preview: Shining Hearts Maxima Enfield
Figure Preview: Shining Hearts Maxima Enfield
Being new to the Shining Hearts game and the Shining franchise from SEGA, I tried to look up information regarding Shining Hearts and Maxima, who is one of the games characters that Kotobukiya has selected to create a figure for, but I most information that I found was in Japanese, I could not use it. So, I will use a small exert from the product description on it's Play-Asia page:

"Maxima Enfield is shrouded in mystery, this girl leads you into schemes and gives you hints, but reveals nothing about herself." 

Personally, I like this figure due to the high quality that both Kotobukiya and Keijiro Migakida have put into this figure, from the minute details on her outfit, the sword and card that she holds in each of her hands, and to the silently confident expression on her face. To my knowledge at this point, there are no removable/changable parts on her. She would make a great addition to anyone's figure collection who is looking to score a quality figure that won't break the bank in the process. Makes me almost want to purchase a PSP and buy a copy of Shining Hearts just so I can get to know more about this promising JRPG franchise.
Figure Preview: Maxima Enfield (Close-up)
Figure Preview: Maxima Enfield (Close-up)
Height: 215 Mm (21.5 Cm)
Availability: Limited (Limited Edition: Currently for pre-order on Play-Asia and expected to release May 2011) 
Price: 6,640 Yen (roughly $79.90 USD)
Who It is Recommended For: Fans of the Shining Hearts game, Maxima Enfield, or the anime collector who is looking for a quality addition to their collection that is easy on the wallet while delivering a great product.

Angel Beats! 1/8th Scale PVC: Yuri

Produced by the GoodSmile Company and licensed by the joint association of P.A. Works, Dengeki G's Magazine, and Aniplex, the 1/8th Scale Angel Beats! Yuri figure is expected to see global market release around April 2011 in Japan and on Play-Asia's site for 5,810 Yen (excluding taxes). It is crafted by talented figure sculptor Sanzigen for the GoodSmile Company
Figure Preview: Angel Beats! Yuri
Figure Preview: Angel Beats! Yuri
Being a big fan and follower of the hit Angel Beats! anime when it aired last year, I was quite excited when GoodSmile began taking pre-orders for a Yuri figure on Play-Asia towards the end of last year. As with the Tenshi figure that I featured last week, Yuri was made with a sophisticated 3D/GC rendering program that GoodSmile and their sculptors used to create a highly detailed take on the the spirited leader of the SSS Brigade. What impresses me about this figure is the amount of effort that GoodSmile has put into Yuri, from her overall appearance down to the details on her outfit and the Beretta M92F pistol she wields. I also managed to find one of the images of what the Yuri figure looked like when in the 3D/CG rendering program, and here it is:

3DCG Example: Angel Beats! Yuri Figure (Taken from GoodSmile)
3DCG Example: Angel Beats! Yuri Figure (Taken from GoodSmile)
Overall, Yuri is another quality figure that the sculptors at GoodSmile have put impressive effort into, and she is one figure that any Angel Beats! fan should not pass up on if they have the chance to own her. With the decent price, she makes a great addition to anyone's figure collection and won't put the squeeze on your wallet in the process. 

Height: 195 Mm (19.5 Cm)
Availability: Limited (Limited Edition: Currently for pre-order on Play-Asia and expected for release in April 2011)
Price: 5,810 Yen (roughly $69.90 USD)
Who It is Recommended For: Fans of the Angel Beats! franchise, Yuri, or anyone who is looking to make a quality purchase to add to their collection that will not put a major hurt on your budget. 

Black Rock Shooter 1/8th Scale PVC: Black Gold Saw (Animation Version)

Produced by the GoodSmile Company and licensed by the Huke/BRS Project, the 1/8th Scale Black Rock Shooter Black Gold Saw figure is expected to see global market release around June 2011 in Japan and on Play-Asia's site for 9,540 Yen. It was crafted by the famed figure sculptor Ken Kawanishi (known by some as Grim Rock!) for the GoodSmile Company
Figure Preview: Black Rock Shooter (Black Gold Saw)
Figure Preview: Black Rock Shooter (Black Gold Saw)
I first heard of the Black Rock Shooter project around March of last year and after viewing some of the images and reading about the upcoming Black Rock Shooter OVA and movie that arrived later in the year, I quickly became a fan of the BRS Project and I was excited when I found several Black Rock Shooter figures for sale on Play-Asia recently. When I heard of the new Black Gold Saw figure that was due for release later this year from GoodSmile, I took immediate interest in it and decided to include it in this week's preview so that others could see the newest addition to the Black Rock Shooter product lineup. Armed with her massive, serrated sword that she calls King's Saw, Black Gold Saw lunges forward to strike at her foes with her wicked blade, the action captured by GoodSmile in this highly detailed figure. From the flowing black hair and the details of her outfit down to the base with the shattering stones and black chains rising up and around her, the effort that Ken Kawanishi and GoodSmile have put into her is amazing. The price might be a little steep for some figure collectors, but the high quality and amazing appearance of Black Gold Saw will make her the center of anyone's figure collection. 
Figure Preview: Black Gold Saw (Black Rock Shooter)
Figure Preview: Black Gold Saw (Black Rock Shooter)

Height: 290 Mm (29 Cm)
Availability: Limited (Limited Edition: Currently for pre-order on Play-Asia and expected for release June 2011)
Price: 9,540 Yen (roughly $114.90 USD)
Who It is Recommended For: Fans of the Black Rock Shooter franchise and figure collectors who are looking for a premium quality addition to their growing collections if they don't mind the higher price.

Nendoroid Corner: Steins;Gate Non-Scale PVC: Makise Kurisu

For this week's Nendoroid Corner, I am taking a look into the newest Steins;Gate nendoroid of the main female protagonist Makise Kurisu. Produced by GoodSmile Company and licensed by the joint association of 5pb and NitroPlus, the Non-Scale Stein's Gate PVC Makise Kurisu figure is expected to see global market release later this month in Japan and on Play-Asia's site for 3,310 Yen. It was crafted by talented sculptor Maruhige in cooperation with Nendoron for the Good Smile Company

Nendoroid Preview: Steins;Gate (Makise Kurisu)
I had heard of the Steins;Gate game that saw release on the XB360 and PC on the Playfire forums earlier this year, and I have the anime on my waiting list as far as shows to watch in the next couple months, so when I saw this nendoroid on Play-Asia the other night, I decided to feature it in this week's Nendoroid Corner. She comes with multiple swappable faces that feature happy, embarrassed, and upset expressions. She also comes with several changeable arms that allow the owner to use several poses and utilize them with the included cell phone and folder that she is seen with from time to time in both the game and anime. Coming from GoodSmile, the effort and quality that they have put into her is something that I can appreciate from them. If you are looking for a nendoroid that is quite affordable and would make a interesting addition to your figure collection, then this is one nendoroid that you can make yours later this month. 

Height: 100 Mm (10 Cm)
Availability: Limited (Limited Edtion: Currently for pre-order on Play-Asia and expected to see release by the end of this month)
Price: 3,310 Yen (roughly $39.90 USD)
Who It is Recommended For: Fans of the Steins;Gate game, Steins;Gate anime, Makise Kurisu, or anyone looking for a quality nendoroid addition to their growing figure collection.

Thank you for reading this week's Weekly Figure Preview. Next week's line-up: K-ON!!, Bakemonogatari, Strike Witches figures as well as another "surprise" nendoroid!. 

Written by Will Anderson.
Post by UsachanMaN (4,610 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Yuri! :D that's actually a really good figurine of her. I love the detail put into her :D 
Awesome weekly update! :D
@UsachanMaN:  Agreed. If my budget was not being squeezed by college at the moment, I would gladly invest in her and Tenshi. Sadly, money will be tight for me until June.
Also wish I had the funds for the Black Gold Saw as well...she is amazing with the sword and base.
Post by UsachanMaN (4,610 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@ShadowKnight508:  
Yea, I totally would buy it if it weren't that expensive XD  
yup! the Black Gold Saw figure does look epic too XD
Post by Sonata (35,627 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ShadowKnight508: Very good job on the preivew, I do want that Black Gold Saw figure. Would look great in my room:)
@Sonata:  Agreed. That Black Gold Saw would look smashing in my display case next the the Selvaria Bles figure I own (if my tight budget would allow for it) xD
Post by Make_Me_Mad (29 posts) See mini bio Level 6
That Black Gold Saw figure looks amazing.
Post by metalsnakezero (676 posts) See mini bio Level 16
 Makise's eyes kinda freaking me out every-time I see them.
Yuri look very nice with that stance. 
Black Gold Saw is very dynamic.
Post by Sonata (35,627 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ShadowKnight508: LOL well if I want the figure I guess I have to work a bit of overtime;)
@metalsnakezero:  Agreed. Those eyes are a little strange if you stare at them long enough. The Black Gold Saw is very dynamic for a figure and that is why I made it part of this week's preview.
Post by EquitasInvictus (332 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Damn I feel like purchasing that Yurippe figure so badly - it looks awesome! 
But I already have a big hole on my wallet due to textbooks.... hmmm... 

Great post and I'm definitely looking forward to more of these!
@EquitasInvictus: Same here...with college starting up on Monday, my budget at the moment is under quite the squeeze until June. I would gladly purchase both Yuri and Tenshi figures if I had the funds to do so.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel