Alter Starts New Line of Figures for Women

Topic started by gia on Feb. 22, 2010. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 4 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

"Maybe these two?"
 "Maybe these two?"
Just caught another interesting piece of news via Twitter: ClarisseG reports that Alter has started a new line of figures called Altair, which will be figures aimed at women, a relatively unusual demographic in a world of cute anime girl figures.

They promise that the female-targeted brand will feature "high quality, painted" figures, and acknowledge that it's a pretty broad aim at the moment, but they hope that we'll dig their "cool figures." Note that the word they use for "cool" here, kakkoii, is something I usually translate as "Cool with a capital C"-- a sort of more badass cool. (Boddington and I have been discussing how exactly to explain the difference between "kakkoii" and "cool" and have agreed that it's really hard to pin down.)

Something better than this...
 Something better than this...
Anyway! They haven't announced any of their lineup just yet, as they're still thinking about it, but that while developing the line they "had the feeling, 'I want to make a figure that a woman would want to buy.'"

So, Dear Altair: I'd like to see a really good non-Nendoroid L, Kamina is hopefully a gimme, and I wouldn't mind Itoshiki-sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Akira from Eden of the East. Mmm.

Now it's your turn, ladies AND gents-- what male figures do you guys want? I expect to see some serious lists in the comments!
Post by Kris (130 posts) See mini bio Level 7
 That's such great news I kind of want to cry.   I have a LONG list of male characters I would love to see made into figures.  Though I'm seconding an Itoshiki-sensei figure.  Oh...that would make me very happy.
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Where do I even begin? I'd like good figures-- not posable, and not cheap trading crap! --of quite a few of the shounen heroes, like Ed Elric and Ichigo Kurosaki. I'd also really like a Simon and a Kamina, and maybe a nice Lelouch or two. Hagi from Blood+ would be nice. 

But they all pale in comparison...to a Kyon figure. 

A delicious, awesome Kyon figure. Maybe mid-facepalm. Mmmm.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
I always thought of kakkoii as "Cool" and sugei as "Awesome".

Hey, girls deserve some good figures too. How about a figure of that drawing I did of Lelouch popping out of a cake and wearing just the helmet, cape, gloves, and banana hammock? You think Ladies would like that?
Post by Miken (87 posts) See mini bio Level 12
More male figures would be indeed awesome. My Leon Magnus figure by Kotobukiya needs some friends. XD;;

As said before, Kamina is a definite given, though stuff like Shizuo or Izaya from Durarara!! would be awesome too~
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird they named it after this star?
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird they named it after this star?

I'd get it if they had another line named Vega as some kind of reference to Tanabata but Altair alone seems strange.

Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Long wishlist of studly male figures no problem: 
  • Sebastian Michaelis
  • Tuxedo Kamen (Yes, I love him still, despite the fact I'm no longer a 12 year old girl)
  • Syaoron, Kurogane, and Fai (all from Tsubasa)
  • Zagato and Lantis (from MKR)
  • Gowry (<3)
  • Black Star, Soul, and Death the Kid
Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8
There's definetly some dudes I wanna see: 
  • Lelouch - There was a really awesome one out, but by the time I wanted it, it was long since sold out :'( 
  • L - L is so badass, I want one with him sitting barefoot in  a chair biting his thumb with a vacant look.
  • Riku (kingdom Hearts 2) - I thought he looked really cool in KH2, sue me. There was one of these too, it was awesome, but it was also very expensive and I didn't have the money at the time.
  • Naruto or Sasuke (older versions) - while it's been a while since I was really into the series, I would still like to have a decent figurine from it.
  • Yami Yugi - In a a cool pose, drawing a card in an overly dramatic manner or something along those lines.
  • Atom - Just read the first three volumes of Pluto (pretty great) and I dig his simple cool look and hairstyle. In this case though it would have to be very well made to bring out the little details in the design.
  • Mega Man Zero - last but anything but least, a good MMZ style Zero is required, I wouldn't even hesitate to sell John's soul for it.

Edit: Oh god I almost forgot about Casshern, that would be so sweet. 

He knows karate!
 He knows karate!
Post by Karasu (76 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Are "figures" different from articulated figures? 'Cause Figma already has a Lelouch and a Kyon (with facepalm hand), as Ianaswift requests.

Anyway, my picks? Geez, I can't even think. Give me a Sagara Sousuke, the guy from Reideen mid-transformation (kidding—even naked that would be a boring figure), that Togainu no Chi military dress Akira figure that I put off buying for too long T_T, Akidzuki Yuujiro from BakuIro. Hmm… more. Much more.

Whatever. When they make it, and I see it, I'll know, and I'll put my order in. (So long as they don't keep it to Eva, Gurren Lagann, Alchemist, Bleach, etc. Played out.)
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Lan: Dunno if I'd call Death the Kid studly. He's a bit gangly for me.

@RockmanBionics:
That figure is kinda the awesome.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel