Goku vs. Superman: Confrontation on New Namek (PG-13 violence)

Topic started by puiwaihin on Aug. 28, 2011. Last post by Imperator100 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by puiwaihin (14 posts) See mini bio Level 3
The following are the first two chapters of a story I have published at Fanfiction.net.

Goku vs. Superman: Confrontation on New Namek

Notes on copyright issues: "Superman" is a DC Comics property originally created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. The characters Goku, Emperor PIlaf, Shu, Mai, and Elder Moori as well as the planet "New Namek" and the Namek race are the original creations of Akira Toriyama. This work of "fan fiction" is an original story, however the characters used in the story belong to the aforementioned parties.

Chapter One: Stirrings on New Namek

Emperor Pilaf looked down at the lush, greenish planet below his stolen Capsule Corporation spacecraft and grinned. New Namek, home of the remaining Namekian race was a planet that knew nothing of his designs of conquest. It was a planet with seven mystical dragon balls that had the power to grant anyone a wish. Most importantly, it was a planet that Goku, Pilaf's hated nemesis, was not on. Nobody would stop his world conquest this time.

"Shu! Mai!" the diminutive blue skinned semi-tyrant screeched as the spaceship touched down to the planet's surface. The duo of Pilaf's most trusted, loyal, and resourceful henchmen (who's names in combination just happen to sound just like the pronunciation of a Chinese dim sum) hurriedly ran up to their liege and snapped to attention. Shu was a male fox who walked, talked, and acted like a human—at least a human who dressed as a comical ninja. Mai, on the other hand, was a fairly tall and not unattractive woman who acted the part of a nefarious agent all too well.

"The two of you go and get into your Namek costumes, then go out and get me those Namekian dragon balls!" The two henchmen gave hurried bows, "Yes, your Excellency!" Shu literally tripped over himself trying to get to his suit fast enough. Mai was no less urgent in obeying the order, but despite her apparent frantic action, she donned her costume without incident. When the two were suited up they both exited the spacecraft.

From a distance, Shu and Mai appeared to be Nameks. Even standing in the same room would not give them away. However, on close inspection it would be easy enough to tell they were fakes. The coloration of the fake "skin" was close, but certainly not natural looking and the heads had a Halloween mask appearance.

The shoddiness of their costumes not withstanding, Shu and Mai managed to navigate the planet and not be discovered. With the help of Bulma's dragon radar, which they had stolen along with the spacecraft, the two henchmen managed to locate and retrieve 6 of the 7 dragon balls with relative ease. A combination of Mai shooting her hand laser and Shu running for his life answered for the few times they had to handle dinosaurs or other indigenous monsters.

When the dragon radar located the 7th and final dragon ball, however, the two were dismayed. The radar pointed them directly into the center of the largest settlement of Nameks on the planet. They were going to have to face the Nameks directly if they wanted to complete their mission. The two decided to report back to Pilaf.

"Emperor Pilaf, here are six of the dragon balls, sir." Shu presented the find to his boss with an air of accomplishment. Pilaf, the greedy imp-man who bore a pair Kanji characters on his robe that mean "Fried Rice" snatched the shiny orbs from his underling's grasp with delight. Then his eyes narrowed to slits and he turned to regard his cronies.

"Are the two of you both unable to count? I said I want SEVEN dragon balls!" roared the would-be ruler.

Mai responded carefully. "Yes, Emperor, we understand your command. It's just, sir, that the last dragon ball is in the middle of the Namek's village surrounded by their warriors. We thought it would be dutiful if we brought the dragon balls we had to you first while we planned—"

Pilaf cut her off. "You thought?" Pilaf exploded, "I didn't tell you to go out and THINK you simpletons, I ordered you to go out and get SEVEN dragon balls for me." Shu and Mai hesitated for a second. "NOW GO TO THAT VILLAGE AND GET THAT DRAGON BALL FOR ME!" The two henchmen scrambled over each other trying to get out the door as fast as they could.

Shu and Mai walked halfway through the village in their Namek costumes uncontested. None of the villagers paid them any attention, busy going about their business. But then one of the Nameks noticed them and walked over to see who they were.

"Hello there!" he called out in greeting. "What are you doing on a warm day like this?" Shu and Mai had to wait for Bulma's Namek translator to interpret what was said for them. Their hesitation made the Namek take a closer look. "I don't recognize you two. I thought I knew all the survivors…"

Mai was the first to respond. "Uh, yes, we're actually Namek-people just back from Earth-planet. We were, uh, staying with Dende until now-time." The translation device did a fair job getting Mai's meaning across, but the oddity of her speech made the Namekian very suspicious. He took an even closer look.

"You're not Nameks!" he exclaimed. The shouting quickly drew a crowd. Shu and Mai tried to talk their way out of their predicament, but talking only seemed to make things worse. A couple of warriors arrived on the scene. One of them moved to grab the intruders by the arm and Mai pulled out her laser pistol, pointing it at the villager who had approached her. Shu took a ninja stance, but in doing so knocked into Mai, causing her to fire her gun. One of the warriors intercepted the shot and blocked it with his hand. He glared at Shu and Mai with an intense expression of anger.

"What is all this?" came an elderly voice. All the Nameks parted as an older, plump Namek walked through the gathered crowd. There were hushed whispers of "Elder Moori" as the eldest Namek approached. The villager who first spotted the costumed Shu and Mai quickly related all that had transpired.

"I don't know why you two have come, but I know you are certainly NOT Nameks. I know all the Nameks. What—"

Elder Moori did not finish his question. He was interrupted by a high-pitched, maniacal laugh. Behind him, standing just outside his domicile, was Emperor Pilaf with all seven of the dragon balls collected together.

"Fools! All I needed was for you to all be distracted long enough for me to get the dragon ball from your domicile. Now I will rule the world. PORUNGA! I summon you to grant my wish!"

Suddenly, there was an awesome display of power as the seven Namekian dragon balls shot a golden beam of light up into the heavens. The sky turned dark and bolts of lightning struck the earth. The dragon balls answered with a release of brilliant crackling energy then levitated up into the air, glowing with a golden intensity that was all the more startling for the darkness outside. The glowing orbs released a torrent of power up into the sky and then seemed themselves to lose their form and merge with the golden power. The energy twined and twisted into the massive form of a giant spiked and scaled dragon that towered over the village high up into the sky.

Emperor Pilaf wasted no time shouting his wish up into the heavens. "I wish for unlimited power and to rule the world!" Shu and Mai gasped and waited in anticipation.

Nothing happened.

A familiar figure suddenly appeared in the village. "Hi guys!" came Goku's enthusiastic greeting. "I felt the power of Porunga's summoning and got curious what you were going to wish for. What's going on?"

Post by puiwaihin (14 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Chapter 2: Enter Goku and Superman

Son-Goku, strongest of the strongest, saiyan nonparaeil, had arrived. As always he wore his dark orange karate-gi over a blue shirt, with a blue belt and heavy blue boots. The Kanji "turtle" for his original master, Roshi the turtle hermit, was on a circle on the chest of his uniform. On the back of the uniform was the character for his name.

Upon seeing Goku appear, Emperor Pilaf blanched. He began stuttering and spluttering. "You… you… can't be here. You're back on Earth…"

Goku's amiable smile faded and the friendliness in his eyes were replaced by disapproval. "So it was you who stole Bulma's dragon radar and space ship. You ought to be ashamed of yourself taking things that don't belong to you, and after we showed you mercy."

The runty imp backpedaled. Then he turned and ran. Shu hesitated a moment, then ran past Goku, dropping the dragon radar at his feet and following his leader.

Mai sighed. "Men. These cowards are the only men in my life." Mai dropped her laser pistol as well. "I just wish there was a super man who would come and actually fight Goku instead of running away like those two do." Immediately, the Namek translator built into her costume repeated her wish in Namekian.

The thunderous voice of Porunga boomed down, "Your wish is granted." His great draconic eyes turned a bright red and there was a blinding flash of light.

Goku blinked away the effect of the light and stared up into the sky. There, hovering in the air below the gargantuan dragon, was a man in a blue suit with a red cape. The man was looking around in apparent disconcertion. After a few moments the man looked down and his eyes locked with Goku's. The man quickly descended to the surface of the planet.

"Who are you?" the man demanded with a slight tone of hostility. "Why have you brought me here?" The man directed his question to Goku and took a step towards him. On the chest of his blue outfit there was a diamond-shaped field of yellow on which there was an oddly shaped, red S-looking emblem.

Goku wore a quizzical expression on his face. He shrugged his shoulders and made a palm up gesture indicating that he didn't know. "Sorry, I don't know why you were brought here. But I know I didn't do it. I think the eternal dragon Porunga brought you here, but I'm not sure why."

Superman, for the man in the blue outfit and red cape was indeed the legendary Man of Steel, was mollified, but he still felt an urge to strike out at the spikey haired martial artist in front of him. The feeling was growing stronger but he didn't know why other than that he had been displaced from his own world. "You still didn't tell me who you are."

The smiling man in the orange outfit replied, "I'm Goku. You're on the planet New Namek which isn't that far from my home, Earth."

At the sound of Goku's name, Superman felt the urge to attack the stranger multiply. He didn't understand why he wanted to, but he did want to pound the man into the ground. The irrational feeling frightened him.

"Look, Goku, I think you had better point me in the direction of Earth quickly. I don't know why, but I have a strange urge to fight you. I need to get far away from you so that it doesn't happen." Realizing that his desire to fight was entirely irrational, Superman fought the feeling. Whatever reason he wanted to attack, he had no desire to kill the man in front of him.

Goku's eyes brightened a bit at the prospect of a fight. "You want to fight me? Well, sure, I don't mind. Then afterwards I can take you back to Earth with me and introduce you to my friends."

Superman stared at the martial artist in consternation. "You don't understand," he said pausing dramatically, "I'm Superman." After getting a blank stare from Goku and the green-skinned aliens all around him he explained more. "I'm a Kryptonian. Under a yellow sun I have great power. I could easily kill a human if I am not very careful and have perfect control. I must get away from you for your safety."

Goku smiled knowingly. "I know what you mean. Having to hold back in a fight because you're worrying that you'll knock them through a building accidentally takes a lot of the fun out of it."

Elder Moori's eyes widened. "You said your name is 'Superman'?" Superman nodded. "Then you've been summoned here to fight Goku! That was the trespasser's wish!" The Nameks all looked hard at Mai, who was being held by a Namekian warrior.

Superman was a little surprised, but then nodded. "No wonder I am having trouble resisting this compulsion. It's a magical wish. Magic is one of the few things I am vulnerable to." Superman turned to the Namek leader. "Is there anything you can do to remove this compulsion from me?"

Elder Moori tried asking Porunga to return Superman to his home world and remove his desire to fight Goku. However, Porunga refused.

"I will not allow anything to prevent the fulfillment of the wish to bring Superman here to fight Goku. He may not return to his home world until the fight concludes, nor will I allow Superman to run away from this fight. He must face Goku to fulfill the conditions of this wish." The dragon's voice was deep and brooked no argument.

Goku took the news cheerfully. "Well, that settles it. You and I are going to have a fight! I can sense your power and it's really quite strong. So, I'm really looking forward to this!" Superman continued to resist the urge to attack, so Goku encouraged him. "Look, I can see you are not someone who likes to fight even though you are clearly strong. I admire that. But it's not your fault here, it's the power of the wish, and I'm really okay with it. And trust me, I can handle a lot more than an average human." Superman gritted his teeth, still holding back from the mounting pressure to strike at Goku. "Besides, if you somehow kill me I'm sure the Nameks would use another wish to bring me back to life, isn't that right?" Elder Moori nodded and Goku added, "It wouldn't be the first time!"

After a final confirming glance to the Namek leader, Superman turned his attention to Goku and reluctantly attacked. Hoping a quick end to the battle would satisfy his need to fight, he charged across the short space between him and his opponent at a speed so great that the natural human eye could not detect it. All that could be seen was a brief blur at the point where Superman started his charge and then nothing. Superman threw a careful punch where the orange-clad fighter was standing, aiming for the solar plexus.

Or rather, Superman threw a careful punch at the place where Goku had been standing. Superman's fist passed through empty air. Goku was nowhere to be seen. Superman stared at the spot he had seen his opponent for a second, until he heard a voice behind him and to his right.

"Wow, that was pretty fast. I thought that bull fighter cape you wear would have slowed you down, but you can really move. You're as fast as Jackie Chun and Master Roshi!" Superman was taken aback by Goku's good-natured praise, but that praise turned into a mild criticism.

Goku continued, "But you shouldn't have pulled up short on your attack. You need to follow-through with the strike or there just won't be any force behind it even if you did hit me."

Surprised at the saiyan's speed, Superman turned around and made another dash to attack. Despite doubling his attack speed, Superman again missed his target. This time, however, his opponent did not move out of his sight, he just dodged the attack and stood there waiting for the Man of Steel to continue. A bit miffed at having missed his opponent twice, Superman continued on the offensive.

At first, Superman tried to aim his strikes at points where he had been taught would disable an opponent without doing lasting damage. However, as Goku continued to dodge each attack with apparent ease, moving just enough to let each attack go by, the Man of Steel began to just try and hit Goku without aiming for a specific target on his body. Superman's fists were a blur of motion, yet to a trained eye it was clear that Goku was dodging and then waiting for the next attack to be launched before dodging again.

Goku knew his opponent was holding back almost all of his power. This was not how he wanted the fight to be. "So, you're name is Superman, eh? You give that name to yourself?" With a cheeky grin the saiyan continued, "So far the only thing you've been super at is missing."

Superman stopped his attack and stood back. "Actually, it's a name I was given by newspaper media and the people of the world I serve as a hero to. The name give them hope. My real name is Kal El, though there are few people I use that name with. Superman is an identity I use to protect those I care about. It also lets me live a human life under another name and identity.

"Look, I know you are trying to goad me into attacking you harder, but I'm not going to lose control over being teased. Sure, I could attack you faster than I am doing, but if I did so I'd also be hitting you with a lot more power, and that would kill you. Even if you can be wished back to life, I still don't kill people if I can help it."

Goku's expression turned a bit sour. "There's not much challenge when the person fighting you can't even touch you. When I saw how fast you charged at me I thought this was going to be interesting. Now I know how Mr. Popo must have felt when I was first trying to get training from the Kame." The disappointment in Goku's tone burned in Kal El's ears.

Superman threw another punch. If he focused just a little harder he could attack faster without increasing the strength of his attack too much. Even a glancing blow should convince his opponent that…

Goku caught Superman's punch. Superman raised his eyebrows. Anyone of human strength or durability would have had their arm shattered and been knocked back half a football field. Then Goku struck Superman in the chest with a short, effortless chop. Superman was knocked off his feet.

Kal-El smiled a little. While the blow hadn't hurt him in the least it had proven that his opponent was much stronger than he had initially guessed. It took superhuman strength to affect his super-dense body. He wasn't facing simply a skilled human like Batman or Karate Kid, or someone merely incredibly fast but still fragile if actually struck like the Flash. He could really trade blows with this man.

Post by Imperator100 (107 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I really like it. Both of them are in character although I think the reason for them fighting kind of leaves something to be desire. Still besdies that everything seems like something that could actually happen and it does feel like both of them are competent fighters: neither of them are doing anything completely idiotic which is a plus from most stories of this type just to ger the fight started (Wizard Magazine's version anyone?)). I will definitly look at part 2. I am rooting for Superman.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel