I only watched Hiro Mashima's two works, Rave master and Fairy Tail. Read Fairy Tail up to volume 13 and for Rave master, I can't remember. I never finished Rave master because it was long and hard to find.
Now for the question at hand.
When I watched Rave Master, I had a feeling Haru and Elie are going to marry each other with lots of scenes.
- Haru hugging Elie in the cave during the (Shuda?) arc where Haru obtains the rave to fight faster.
- Haru having a conversation with his dad when the tower was collapsing. As Elie shoots the falling rocks, his dad tells Haru he likes Elie because she's beautiful and has large breasts.
- The biggest and most emotional scene is where Haru and Elie fight Sieg Hart. Haru tells Elie why she should keep living, and Elie asks him what color was her underwear on the first day they met. Awkward huh?
- The last fights in the anime had a big impact on Elie. Elie lost her "lip-ginity" to the Lucia. I hated that scene, but Haru got so angry that he whoops the Oracion Seis members except Sieg Hart.
After that, the anime ended. I had to read the manga. The end result is Haru marrying Elie. See pictures
Comparisons of Haru and Elie's relationship to Natsu and Lucy's.
- The first episode of both series has the main protagonist meet each other by fate.
- Elie and Lucy wear similar clothes
- Haru and Natsu have sidekicks, Plue and Happy, respectively.
- Elie and Lucy are "lucky." I mean Elie is lucky at gambling and Lucy is named after the signboard "Love and Lucky."
- Both Haru and Natsu are looking for their fathers
- Both pairs go on journeys
Fans of Fairy Tail and Rave master, you can add to this list. This is all I got.
This is where it gets very tricky.
- In Rave Master, Haru and Elie are pretty much alone longer than Natsu and Lucy. What I mean is that Natsu and Lucy are alone on the first episode and pass that point, the pair always had a person in their group. (IE: Episode 5, team Natsu is formed) For Haru and Elie, I can't remember, but I have a feeling it took a long time before the pair actually had Musica in their group.
- Haru and Elie have more intense moments together than Natsu and Lucy.
My answer is Natsu and Lucy will not end up with each other.
My reasons are that in Rave Master, there is only one girl in their group for the whole anime. I have to exclude the manga because I can't remember since Rave Master journeys to different worlds like One Piece. I think the next female companion was Julia, Dragon guy's girlfriend, who have no effect on Haru and Elie's relationship. For Haru, Musica was not a rival for Elie's love. It was an automatic marriage for Haru and Elie.
Also, Rave Master has a smaller character roster than Fairy Tail.
For Fairy Tail, there are two girls in their team: Erza and Lucy.
Natsu knows Erza better and is a friend to Erza longer than Lucy. Also, there is Lisanna who Natsu cries for in episode 71 over her death. Natsu has never cried for Lucy, but he has cried for Erza. (see Erza's vision in the Tower of Heaven Arc) Plus, Natsu has more intense moments with Erza than Lucy.
For Lucy, she has Loke and Loke is desperate for her. Happy and Bixlow likes spreading rumors. This means Lucy's attention is divided due to more competion like Natsu's situation. (Forget about Gray, Juvia got him) I don't know about Hibiki or other guys besides Loke.
Updates April 2, 2011
Natsu's relationship with Lucy is more comedy compared his relationship with Erza, closer.
Brief Reasons why Natsu and Lucy's relationship will not end up as Haru and Elie.
- More closer female friends for Natsu
- Natsu has never cried for Lucy (It doesn't mean that Natsu does not care for Lucy)
- Lucy has other male companions vying for her love.
- Compared to Haru and Elie's success: they had more alone and intense moments, no competition...
This is my argument. Please feel free to voice your opinions and critiques.
- *Thanks to Jinbeifan1 for reminding me. Erza is like a big sister to Natsu while Lisanna is a childhood friend of Natsu. I forgot about that fact. 8:31 PM
- Added Lisanna related info in the comments below.
- 2-25-12 - Added spoiler blocks to Rave Master after an awesome comment was made by pukol.