EUREKA SEVEN AO #1 -- Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on May 9, 2012. Last post by zaldar 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

What wonderful timing! I finally get around to checking out EUREKA SEVEN for myself… and it turns out it was just in time for the sequel series.

As they did with the first series, Bones is pretty shrewd about the number and the size of the bread crumbs they lay out for the audience. I’ve done my best to avoid any plot descriptions or assorted spoilers to keep my experience here pure - - but the price of that is being faced with 22 minutes that tease me ever so tantalizingly. Judging what’s in the episode, by itself, it’s hard to say how this connects to the 50 episodes that have come before - - and I’m pretty sure the crew’s just relishing in throwing as many red herring at me as they can fit.

There’s the reddest potential herring, of course - - this sharp young lad, Ao. The promo image reveals that he’ll eventually be getting blue hair to match his pink eyes. Seeing as how he’s got brown hair and he’s also an orphan, it ain't far out the question to assume he’s Renton and Eureka’s kid. Though, his grandpa very much seems to be a grayer Renton - - and then one of the dudes in the intro looks and sounds a lot like Renton’s grandpa, too - - so it’s probably not as clean and neat as that.

Going with the obvious theory for the moment, Ao’s already well ahead of where his pops was at his age. Not only has he already got a girlfriend he’s pretty confident with, he also doesn’t put up with anybody’s bullshit - - not even dangerous mecha mercs'. That’s something Renton wasn’t able to do, even after 50 episodes of character building. His characterization’s markedly different, and I’m so pleased that Bones clearly did that intentionally.

Aside from that, well… your guess is really as good as mind. I never totally understood how the Scubs worked on the Coraline (or whatever that planet was,) nor what the relationship was with Earth. I can see that there we’re in Okinawa, for sure - - a very real place, obviously - - but I’m out theories for why.

Maybe I should stick around for episode two to, you know, maybe get a few more clues?

Watch this episode, "deep blue” here and decide for yourself.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 12

There are more clues to his origins in the coming episodes and some reveals. I watched the first opening of the series and was like, 'not watching them again' because it spoiled a lot of things. Hopefully I'll forget most of it while we watch 26 episodes.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

So far, this seems like sequel in the loosest of terms. How the original EUREKA SEVEN took place in a nondescript planet. This series takes place on Earth and in Okinawa.

Post by DocHaus (922 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Somewhere in episode 2 there are hints that Ao's old man is actually one of the kids that travelled with Eureka in the original series, the angry one (can't remember his name offhand). My theory is that Ao is a descendant of Eureka/Renton if not exactly their son.

Post by LordTerminal (67 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@DocHaus said:

Somewhere in episode 2 there are hints that Ao's old man is actually one of the kids that travelled with Eureka in the original series, the angry one (can't remember his name offhand). My theory is that Ao is a descendant of Eureka/Renton if not exactly their son.

Maurice? But that theory makes no sense. Word of god states that this takes place 20 years later amongst other things.

Whatever the old guy's connection to the original Nirvash is, he can't possibly be any of Eureka's adopted kids. In fact, we're only 5 episodes in if the Japanese airings are anything to go by and already I feel as if there's a bunch of plotholes.

Anyway Tom, I think it might be a little early to get into the sequel this soon since it just started airing but whatever. I'll gladly read along with your Watch & Learns on this series as I watch it myself. Especially since your W&Ls on the first series got me back into watching it again.

Post by zeroduality (19 posts) See mini bio Level 3

I'm glad that someone is actually doing a proper recap on this show.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@FoxxFireArt said:

So far, this seems like sequel in the loosest of terms. How the original EUREKA SEVEN took place in a nondescript planet. This series takes place on Earth and in Okinawa.

The show explicitly states it takes place on Earth actually.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Turambar:

I was talking about how the original EUREKA SEVEN took place on another planet that wasn't Earth, but this one takes place on Earth.

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@FoxxFireArt said:

@Turambar:

I was talking about how the original EUREKA SEVEN took place on another planet that wasn't Earth, but this one takes place on Earth.

I know.  The original Eureka Seven also explicitly states it takes place on earth on episode 47.
Post by LordTerminal (67 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@FoxxFireArt said:

@Turambar:

Uh that WAS Earth in the original series. The Scub Coral just grew over it and led to the human race evacuating it. When they came back, they didn't recognize the planet because of the outer shell the Scub created. The real questions are, if Ao and co. are specifically living in Japan then are they living in the true Earth underneath the Scub's shell? Did the shell somehow disappear? And if they ARE living on the true Earth, why is the Scub "bursting" below it's actual body?

See, only one episode and already there's a bunch of plotholes that I doubt will get filled in at the rate things are going.

Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Why do I get the feeling the new protagonist is Renton and Eureka's son? Guess cause he looks like Renton with Eureka's hair lol.
Post by zaldar (1,222 posts) See mini bio Level 15

hmm wait I never caught that the planet was actually supposed to be earth in the original...I may have to go check that again. That would make the show a mite more interesting. But again I expect they will focus on character so much that the plot will be full of holes and unfulfilled potential. To bad, as they do know how to do character well, I only wish they did the rest as well also.

Ah well not every show can be Hanibai Renmei (still the best anime I have ever seen) or Eva I suppose.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel