When adding an image to the site please put it in a gallery.

Topic started by Endogene on Dec. 5, 2008. Last post by Jayge 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Say you are adding fan art, be sure to submit it to the fan art gallery.
Same goes for manga scans, add a manga scan gallery.
For anime screenshots please add a Screenshots gallery.

If you only add an image to "all images" is will be lost when more images are added. I say this due to my experience on Giant Bomb.
The thing that happen when you add an image but dont put it in a gallery is that especially with popular pages the image gets burried under all the other images and is no longer visible, plus when some one else visits the fan art gallery of an character for example and you added fan art to that page but not to that gallery that person might add a duplicate of that image in the fan art gallery so you and that person will have done the work of one.

If there are policies to do allow this please tell me so and i will accept them in the image modding for now i'll skip them.

edit: word is that is fine however it still is better to add the image to the correct gallery (it also gives you more points)
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I don't think an image should be disapproved because of this. What if you don't know to which galery it belongs? Some fan art images, for example, look like they could be from the official character designer himself / herself. If an image goes to All Images then at least it is in the site and can be "moved" later to the correct galleries, by the same user or some other user with more knowledge. I frequently move images incorrectly placed on GB, both mine (because I later learn they were incorrectly placed) and from others.
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Actually, Axersia uses "Anime Screencaps" on Giant Bomb and jlrm has done the same, so maybe that's what we should use, just for consistency.

I imagine official galleries are forthcoming. If you'll recall, Giant Bomb didn't initially create "Concept Art" galleries automatically. That was added later.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
You both are correct.  Please try to put images into their proper galleries. Create a new gallery if it is really needed.

But don't reject an image just because it was not associated to a gallery.   If it is associated to the correct character then that is good enough.  We want to have the images.
Post by erinfizz (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Mostly from what I have seen is that maybe I am unclear on what Concept Art means here? I  have come across several images that sure look like screencaps and am unsure whether to not approve them or what.  (I have been skipping them)
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 2
DocHaus said:
"Quick question: does the site have a problem with compressed images? Or just images that are too small? I've been trying to upload a few different pictures for my avatar and only one of them actually got through, the rest gave me some sort of error message."
On giant bomb their is a minimal size so i guess here also.
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
erinfizz said:
"Mostly from what I have seen is that maybe I am unclear on what Concept Art means here? I  have come across several images that sure look like screencaps and am unsure whether to not approve them or what.  (I have been skipping them)"
I've been rejecting them (they can be resubmitted to the correct gallery). What I would consider Concept Art is in anime terms is character sketches from the character designer, sketches from a mangaka, location renders if the anime has 3D elements and stuff like that. Screenshots should be under a Screenshots gallery. I have been using Anime Screencaps on GB as the name for the gallery for these. I got the idea from Axersia (a mod both here and on GB).

Endogene said:
"DocHaus said:
"Quick question: does the site have a problem with compressed images? Or just images that are too small? I've been trying to upload a few different pictures for my avatar and only one of them actually got through, the rest gave me some sort of error message."
On giant bomb their is a minimal size so i guess here also."
I seem to remember a minimum of 150 pixels in both width and height. (So if an image fails both requirements it isn't accepted.)
Post by erinfizz (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
jlrm01 said:
"erinfizz said:
"Mostly from what I have seen is that maybe I am unclear on what Concept Art means here? I  have come across several images that sure look like screencaps and am unsure whether to not approve them or what.  (I have been skipping them)"
I've been rejecting them (they can be resubmitted to the correct gallery). What I would consider Concept Art is in anime terms is character sketches from the character designer, sketches from a mangaka, location renders if the anime has 3D elements and stuff like that. Screenshots should be under a Screenshots gallery. I have been using Anime Screencaps on GB as the name for the gallery for these. I got the idea from Axersia (a mod both here and on GB).

Thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to double check.

Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
It is a lot nicer to have the images placed in the gallery they belong, but that alone definitely isnt a submission rejecting cause
Post by Jayge (34 posts) See mini bio Level 1
ethan said:
"You both are correct.  Please try to put images into their proper galleries. Create a new gallery if it is really needed.

But don't reject an image just because it was not associated to a gallery.   If it is associated to the correct character then that is good enough.  We want to have the images."
And they can be gallerized later, no?
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel