What Counts as Anime and Manga in the Wiki

Topic started by takashichea on Oct. 9, 2013. Last post by takashichea 6 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,326 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Hello guys and gals, I'm Takashichea, a new wiki mod. These past few weeks, I have been running into non anime and manga wiki pages in the Wiki Queue. I beginning to express doubts about our wiki policy since the staff has left. I have asked my teammates, the mods, on couple of stuff in the past days.

I don't have the direct word by word for the wiki policy. I couldn't find it in the Wiki Style Guide or Site FAQ.

All I know that the policy is this:

Anime Vice allows animated shows and comics that have "Japanese/anime/manga" influences to be added in the wiki database.

That means Legend of Korra, Teen Titans, Transformers. Though, some shows like Samurai Jack and Ben 10 makes no sense at all.

Pages I run into

• Scott Pilgrim - Canadian Comic Book Series with manga influences
  • RWBY - That's for Screened
  • Marvel Anime - That's allowed since it's published by a Japanese studio
  • Hulk Vs - That's for Screened

Ballot

YesNeutralNo
  • Sonata
  • Dream
  • Takashichea
  • FinalDasa
  • sickVisionz
  • Daniel Newton
  • Obsidian609
  • Acura Max
  • BigHeart711
  • SMXLR8
  • Bigz007*
  • Yes - Keep Anime Vice to strictly manga and anime produced in Japan.
  • No - what FinalDasa said: an open policy and allow pretty much anything with a slight influence.
Post by Acura_Max (2,337 posts) See mini bio Level 13

If we allow shows and comics with manga influences, why is Scott Pilgrim not allowed on the site wiki?

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

I was having doubts last night. I read the Wikipedia article once or twice. I guess it's allowed. Though, one can argue that Superman Batman Apocalypse had anime influences. See where I am going? Practically, you can argue many shows have "manga" influences.

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

Sorry, I wasn't rational. Just dismiss my last point about how you can argue every show can potentially have anime influence.

Post by Sonata (35,387 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Just because a show has Japanese Animated influence doesn't mean it should be labeled as Japanese Anime.You should go by the company who has actually produced the series. The Wolverine animated series is based off a Marvel licensed character however the team/company responsible for it's animation (Gonzo) is a Japanese Production company, so it can be labeled as "True" Japanese anime which should be allowed on the site. Teen Titans on the other hand was produced by Warner Bros Animation an American company so it really shouldn't be in here if our main theme is to establish Japanese series and franchises here. Personally I would have deleted Teen Titans from the database long ago.

Online Now

@Sonata:

A friend of mine asked me on Twitter that we should have deleted Legend of Korra and Avatar. I told him that we sunk so much hours in the wiki pages. Wales finished all of season 1 summaries. I thought about transferring all those info to Screened just to preserve the information and their hard work. I don't think it would be honorable thing to do.

I wouldn't mind deleting Teen Titans and the other American produced cartoons.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

From what I've gathered, literally anything and everything counts as anime and manga when it comes to the wiki. See Ben 10: Omniverse and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as wholly non-anime/manga that people have vehemently argued as being anime/manga despite no legitimate or logical reason for them to be included.

The only arguments I've ever heard about these shows is 1) that they aren't bad (I don't know how that means they are anime/manga) 2) people who like anime/manga might also like them, which means we should cover the NFL, Breaking Bad, and Hell's Kitchen as there are people who enjoy anime and like those things as well.

Online Now

Our wiki policies are a bit too lax. Screened had some anime pages as well.

If we were strict, we would have been efficient from the start. Anime Vice won't have American Cartoons, and the wiki editors can concentrate and help Screened with the American Cartoons like Korra. Filling out two communities with the same info is pretty damn insane. Take it from me, I work at both Animanga and Anime Vice pages. Vice Versa for Anime Vice. There are over 100 anime shows added in Screened. One of them might be like Legend of Korra's wiki status, all filled out in the wrong place.

If we're community driven, I feel we should change our policies. (sorry Acura for lumping Screened) This will improve the wiki pages and set some boundaries and help editors focus on the wiki pages in the right community.

@takashichea: It's a tough call since there was some work put into those page. But if you want to make Anime Vice's wiki purely based on Japanese Productions, Korra and Avatar must go along with Teen Titans.

Online Now

@Sonata:

I will write a letter of apology to the wiki editors who have worked hard on those pages if these changes get approved by the majority of the community. I will make a note in Screened that these pages were done by Anime Vice editors. I will not let their accomplishments go unnoticed.

To everyone: please vote on this. This issue needs to be settle soon.

Post by bigz007 (1,091 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Avatar can't leave AnimeVice. We can leave it as honorable mention.

I don't care for the rest.

Don't forget the Code Lyoko Franchise. That's a french animated series.

@takashichea: That's a good Idea I'm all for that.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,912 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I think we should go by the studios that made those series to see where they were clearly from as well. Had we had been strict about which series are real anime, the stuff like Legend of Korra and the Original Avatar (The Last Airbender) would've been taken care of fully at Screened.

Speaking of which, now that it's mentioned, I want to take care of the RWBY stuff more at Screened right after I deal with my schoolwork tonight. Some of you should also help me fill in anime series and characters at Screened since some of the pages over there are quite barren. I mostly work on other cartoons in general back there too.

@takashichea said:

@Sonata:

I will write a letter of apology to the wiki editors who have worked hard on those pages if these changes get approved by the majority of the community. I will make a note in Screened that these pages were done by Anime Vice editors. I will not let their accomplishments go unnoticed.

To everyone: please vote on this. This issue needs to be settle soon.

On the bright side, we could just copy and paste the episode summaries onto the episode pages on Screened. As for images, we could use this as an opportunity to replace images from the earlier episodes with the1920x1080 images that we are getting right now.

I will make a note in Screened that these pages were done by Anime Vice editors. I will not let their accomplishments go unnoticed.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you going to add the credits onto the wiki page directly?

I'd hold off on deleting stuff. It seems obvious that it shouldn't be there but whenever it comes to destroying huge amounts of content, I think it's best to get a consensus from all the mods.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The exceptions in the wiki (My Little Pony, Avatar, etc.) were sanctioned by staff members. There are, however, some cartoons that were simply added because Screened didn't exist yet and others that have slipped through the cracks and made it into the wiki at one point or another, like Code Lyoko.

Maybe it's time to move some of this content over to Screened, but some of it should stay. Avatar and My Little Pony both have lots of editorial coverage on the site and user reviews, threads, and blogs. If we remove the wiki pages that content won't be filed under anything any more. They also have extensive wiki pages spanning across episode pages, characters, concepts, and so on. They have also both been dubbed into Japanese and aired in Japan as "anime". It doesn't hurt to keep these in the wiki, though maybe we should add a note on the main wiki pages to point out that they are the allowed exceptions.

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

I'm going to write a blog as a note where those wiki pages came from. Yeah, I was going to transfer the data.

@bigz007:

You have Screened. If you need help, you can ask Acura Max or me. I'm somewhat active on Screened. I worked on Star Trek once a week at least.

@Bigheart711:

Sure, I'll help you with RWBY at Screened. My little sister makes me watch that Magical Shoujo Power ranger show every Friday.

@sickVisionz:

No problem, this is a community thing. I got a list below.

@Daniel_Newton:

As for the editorial content, we can store them in some concept page: #Staff'sTimeCapsule or StaffLockerRoom.

To the mods and everyone, we should keep a list. We will see what to do afterwards.

KeepDelete
Same as MLP, it aired in Japan

I'll contact to see if it's okay to transfer some of the comic wiki content from Anime Vice to Comic Vine.

Why are we keeping MLP? There was never a mod discussion about it being added and the staffer that ok'd it has been gone for years now.

Post by Dream (7,630 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I'd also question My Little Pony's addition. The only parts of the franchise that had Japanese involvement were Toei Animation being involved in a movie from the 80s and an early 90s TV show made for the Disney Channel (MLP Tales). Otherwise, the rest of the animated adaptations for the franchise involved American and Canadian animation studios.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel