Official names for characters: a rule?

Topic started by jlrm01 on March 2, 2009. Last post by LordAndrew 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by jlrm01 (198 posts) See mini bio Level 7
So, I was wondering about characters and their official names / spellings. At GB I requested a name change for Clan Clang (from Klein Klan) as I think an official name is preferred.

Is this an Official Rule here, that character pages should be named using official names only, if those exist? I didn't find it the the FAQ / Help but maybe it is somewhere else (or it was there and I missed it)...

If a character page is created according to fan translations or whatever (not official) and later it becomes known that the character has an official name or a US company acquires the rights and decides / is told a particular spelling for the name, should I request a name change for the page? And possibly add the old name as an alias...

The name the page actually has is what search engines will find, not the aliases (I think - EDIT: Blooper on my part, they do appear ^_^;), so maybe they should have the official name as page name, for those that watch it on TV / DVD and decide to use Google to find info on their favorite characters, for example...

So, is it an Official Rule? (Sorry if I'm asking something obvious... ^_^;)
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
*re-checks the rules*

I see nothing about it but you do have a point. All you need to do is notify a staff member by either PMing them or posting in this board about name changes. It takes a while for it to get changed because staff is busy. Wiki mods have no way to add aliases or change names. Well at least I haven't seen the option so you can only change it with staff. I would notify staff about name changes that are officially released if we do go by a fan translation.

As for aliases already on a page, they are indeed search-able. Just look up something like "Sailor Moon" and you'll see the character Serena Tsukino have the alias match.
It would be nice if it could be added somewhere.

What I mean by searchable was by using, say, Google to search for them. But I was mistaken, they do appear (but not first, in my test with Sailor Moon, anyway). I forgot the aliases appear on the page itself. ^_^; (Even pages with no blurb can be found, then, searching for the alias using Google...)

I'll keep the renaming in mind if I find such a case....
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Well, you would be able to use Google to search it as well, because aliases appear on the page itself.
LordAndrew said:
"Well, you would be able to use Google to search it as well, because aliases appear on the page itself.
"
Yeah, I totally forgot that really small but really important detail when I made the first post... hehehe ^_^; That is what happens when I don't check what I'm writing 20 times before posting it, like usual. ^_^
jlrm01 said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Well, you would be able to use Google to search it as well, because aliases appear on the page itself.
"
Yeah, I totally forgot that really small but really important detail when I made the first post... hehehe ^_^; That is what happens when I don't check what I'm writing 20 times before posting it, like usual. ^_^
"
Don't worry about looking over a post several times. :) I make plenty of mistakes in my posts, I just let it sliiiiide and move on. Everyone is human and will thus make mistakes. I remember when I just started doing the wiki way back when this site launched and I made plenty of mistakes. Did it hold me down from continuing? Nope, I accept the rejection submissions and kept going.
Posts are the same situation, at least I think so anyway.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I suggest we use the Japanese name as official and the American as an alias, like it happens with most characters in DBZ.
Black_Rose said:
"I suggest we use the Japanese name as official and the American as an alias, like it happens with most characters in DBZ."

Hmmm. Or should it be the opposite? Or case by case? I'll follow whatever rule there is (I'll try to remember it)...
Well we don't have an official rule as of right now (maybe you'll want to PM a staff member about it) but I'll add my two cents.
Since this is an American run website, I think the names of characters should be the American one. (Case in point: Serena/Usagi Tsukino). If a character has two different names (or more) from different sources, it'd make sense to stick with the American name since we focus on the Westernized anime anyway.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Well, the rule on GB (don't think it's official but mentioned by Jeff) is to keep the American name for games. But I rather keep their original Japanese names, I understand if we can't though.
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Japanese names can be entered in the Japanese Name and Romaji fields. And if it's different from the name used in English-speaking regions, then it can be added as an alias as well.
But in the case of anime and manga that wasn't localized use their Japanese names, not an unofficial English one.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel