Lets Talk Plagiarism With Inferiorego

Topic started by Little_Sparrow on Nov. 19, 2009. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I love seeing new vicers trying to better this site by making the database more in depth. I love seeing old vicers do this also. It brightens my day to see a well thought-out, well-written submission that needs my, or any other mod's or staff's, approval. However, it really "grinds my gears" to find a well though-out, well-written submission that is plagiarized, especially when I find it's on like 500 different sites. One of the things Whiskey Media prides itself on (at least, I hope they do) is the fact that the databases on these sites are user written, original work. That being said (are you still reading?), let's discuss the finer points of plagiarism... 

What is plagiarism?

I could write a book on this. Essentially, it's taking other people's work and not giving them credit for it. In addition, it is also using misrepresenting someone else's material. Say you read a book on "Why math is great" and in your summary, you come to the conclusion that the author hates math. That's also considered plagiarism since you misinterpreted the author's writing (assuming that the person who wrote that book concludes that math is great at the end of the super-fun book). Depending on what style you use in your writing, whether it be MLA, APA, or Chicago Manual (CM), the in-text citations, or credit, are different. Usually, after you're done quoting, paraphrasing, or summarizing someone's work (for MLA and APA mainly), you use a parenthesis and put at least the Author's name to show credit. However, things as such do not apply here. 

What is not allowed?

Simple, copying and pasting of someone else's work into a submission for the database section of this site, even if it's just one sentence. In fact, copying and pasting someone else's work anywhere onto this site is not a great idea, even when it comes to the forums. Even if you see an article online that you really like, please refrain from copying and pasting it in to the forums. Why? Simply put, people get angry about it. It's essentially stealing someone's work and trying to take credit for it. Your submission will be denied, and you'll be warned for the action. If it continues, you will eventually be banned from the database section of the site.

What is allowed?

Original, user-created submissions that have correct grammar, spelling, and that don't get too in depth (for a little more on this,  check out another boring piece of writing I wrote). Leave out your opinions, only the facts should be in a submission. And please... please... don't leave a moderator a comment that says anything like, "I want points". The moderator comment area should help the mod figure out your changes. On larger pages, such as  Batman for example, there is a lot to look through. Leaving the mod a quick note about what section you changed, i.e. Early Years, will make the mods job quicker, and a little easier. 

What should I do?

The first thing I recommend is owning the comic or comics the storyline, characters, or issue you are trying to update. This allows you to have the source material on-hand to make sure that the information you're typing in is factual. Again, check out the piece I wrote about  summarizing in order to get just the just the main points of an issue, storyline, or character plot-point into the submission page.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to read this. Most of you know all of these things by now, but there are new members (maybe a couple older vicers new to submitting) who need a little bit of a refresher. 

Inferiorego popped this up over on Comic Vine and after talking with him I thought it would be a good addition over here on Vice, So thanks to Ego for doing this and I hope you all take the time to read over it.  

Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Little_Sparrow: Make sure this is anchoered.    :)

Plagiarism is something members shouldn't do and I learned that over a Giant Bomb.
Thanks for reminding me totally forgot :D.
Post by inferiorego (43 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Hi, I'm InferiorEgo. One of the delightful staff members of ComicVine!
If anyone has any questions about anything within here, please feel free to ask me, and I will try my best to answer your question the best that I can, or clarify anything you may not understand.
@inferiorego said:
" Hi, I'm InferiorEgo. One of the delightful staff members of ComicVine! If anyone has any questions about anything within here, please feel free to ask me, and I will try my best to answer your question the best that I can, or clarify anything you may not understand. "
LOL and if he can't answer I will try XD.
Post by inferiorego (43 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@Little_Sparrow: indeed... p.s. buy call of duty already
@inferiorego said:
" @Little_Sparrow: indeed... p.s. buy call of duty already "
Would do but lack of cash and looking for the flat beats COD MOD 2 at the mo :p
Post by Sonata (35,514 posts) See mini bio Level 20
There was some massive plagiarism being done on some of the Ikki Tousen characters, Kanu's Page links to the Wikipedia page on it.

Kanu
Thanks Son had a word with the user.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Yeah, I had a question:

Say I plagiarize something, but instead of just copy and pasting it, I put the entire thing backwards as some sort of artsy fartsy thing... am I still a plagiarist?

Example:

?tsiraigalp a llits I ma ...ginht ystraf ystra fo tros emos sa sdrawkacb ginht eritne eht tup i ,ti gnitsap dna ypoc tsuj fo daetsni tub ,gnihtemos eziraigalp I yaS
Sure I've blatently copied someone elses work, but it was hard! And as I understand it, if it was actually difficult to do, there's no way it was plagiarized, right?

EDIT: Okay, I was bored, humor me ^_^
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@John_Martone: .detcejer teg llits dluow ti os gnikool yllis dna sdrawkcab s'ti won tuB .eromyna deziraigalp ton s'taht ebyam ,KO

Now stop being daft you silly silly man :P
@Little_Sparrow said:
" Thanks Son had a word with the user. "
The user pretty much did the same thing with most of the Main Ikki Tousen Characters.
More Plagiarism Here

Rushuna
Kurenai
Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I have an important question here. What if, in a submission, I use some material I wrote someplace else and I own, such a summary from a review I wrote. Is this still unacceptable, or would this be okay?
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@Count_Zero: I would consult either Newdeath or Kelleth about this....I also plan to submit some of the massive amounts of information I wrote down in my 2 Part Kampfer anime blog review. I re-watched all but two episodes in the pursuit of writing my review.
Post by KaosAngel (199 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Hah, nice to see even Anime Vice has this problem with copypasta'ers.  
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I've run into one plot summary article on this site I knew for a fact had been cut and pasted from another site, I knew for a fact because I was using that site as a reference when adding character appearances to the episode, needless to say I re-wrote the article to make it unique to AV. Also ran into it on CV, I started reading the profile of a dupe character and thought to myself that looks very familiar... and realized the guy who added the dupe just copied what I wrote about the character on the original page to his dupe page.  
Hey I hate writing articles for new pages and all, but seriously copying someone elses hard work is a dick move, take notes sure, and even then you should probably only do that if you have also personally read/watched the material you are writing about in the first place so you have your own take on it to begin with.  
Ehh that's just my opinion though.
Post by takashichea (13,174 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I'm bumping this since I keep running into users who plagiarized the wiki pages. It has been tough since some of them are Wikia editors who don't read Anime Vice and Wikia's term of use. I'm surprised some Admins from other Wikia come to this site, assuming they can transfer their work to our wiki pages. I thought some Admins knew their Wikia's own Terms of Use. It's not the case when I saw folks from a few Wikia transferring their work.

Everything has to be in original content. If you are going to transfer your work, you have to reword everything.

I want you to read this thread and the Anime Vice Wiki Style Guide, too. Before you wiki edit, you have to read the rules first. Not many users do that. For those who do, they succeed and make our wiki community proud of them.

@OfficialRikudouSennin:

Can you please not spam editing threads with comments that don't ask a question or serve a purpose? I did gave you a warning on plagiarism, and you didn't follow through to fix your mistakes. We don't want Anime Vice's wiki pages to be plagiarized or contained plagiarized text.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel