Is There a Point to Adding Attractive Male and Female?

Topic started by takashichea on Dec. 2, 2011. Last post by Dekken 1 year, 8 months ago.
Post by takashichea (12,292 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Topic: Is there a point to adding attractive male and female powers to character pages?

Everyone adds to every character page even the ugly character gets this added on their page. I know that people look beyond the looks on the outside and call them beautiful on the inside. This is why this power seems so average and easy to add. I only add it when the character in that franchise is regarded as an attractive person to make it a special power.

What do you guys think about this power? What can you based this powers on to make it special for those who are attractive?

Yes, this sounds like a random question, but I need to see what the community feels or maybe I'm just too nit-picky about this thing.

Post by Asune (1,191 posts) See mini bio Level 12

It must be added only when the franchise states it

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Asune said:

It must be added only when the franchise states it

Not necessarily, obviously when a character is regarded as attractive by other characters there's more reason to add it, but that's not a rule or anything.

@takashichea: The attractive male and female powers aren't really proper powers in the first place. I think more than anything they're probably there so you can click the battle button and which characters are the most attractive.

The whole thing is a bit silly but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you see a character who is actually regarded as ugly or unattractive by other characters--like a witch or a monster for example--feel free to remove the power from that character page.

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,291 posts) See mini bio Level 17

It was for battles... but I do think it's really too commonly placed to be considered a power... and who really uses the battle function, anyway?

Post by Oglaphone (53 posts) See mini bio Level 11

The impression I have is that the "Attractive male/female" power isn't meant simply as a trait, but an actual power, so it should only really apply to characters who can and will use their appearance to their advantage.

It's not something I'm all that bothered about applying, I'm not really interested in changing entries to suit that criteria, or to encourage others to do so. I'm just sharing my two cents, really.

Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I think it's worthless but not so much that I want too see it removed. There are other things that I'd rather see staff work I on.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
It's a matter of personal opinion really, but some characters do have powers attached to their attractiveness, Boa Hancock for example, so it is a valid power.
Post by takashichea (12,292 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Halberdierv2: @Daniel_Newton: @Oglaphone: @sickVisionz: @EganTheVile1:

I forgot to say thanks. Thank you guys for your opinions. Yeah, I didn't want to propose for it to be deleted. It's a silly power that is really common because everyone is so nice to their wiki pages and put attractive male or female for the hell of it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Can we at least say that it shouldn't be added to characters unless they are noted as being attractive by people in their series? If nobody in the series has ever mentioned them as being cute or hot then it shouldn't be added to their profile page imo. It'd be like adding super strength to a character that has never done any strength feats in their series solely because you think it'd be a cool thing to add. The wiki isn't supposed to work that way, is it?

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@sickVisionz said:

Can we at least say that it shouldn't be added to characters unless they are noted as being attractive by people in their series?

That or when it's made obvious that a character is seen as attractive by others. Like when a character seduces another character. A character actually "using" their attractiveness basically makes it one of their "powers". I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb for it. Still, I don't think this site or Comic Vine take the attractive powers too seriously, from what I can tell both sites have the powers attached to countless characters.

I've never really cared much about the powers/battles stuff to be honest, it's just something from Comic Vine they decided to leave in the code for Anime Vice.

Post by Dekken (393 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@Daniel_Newton: I think the whole battle stuff should be transformed into a popularity ranking where you just select the character you prefer instead of selecting which character is stronger or faster.

Normally when I go to the battle section, I have to skip a lot of battles because I don't know the character's feats and that stuff, however in the forums the people that know the characters can gather in one topic and discuss which character is better, the battle system is a great concept but I feel it is too subjective.

Also I think we should add powers only to characters that have a profile portrait or an acceptable picture, I have seen some characters that appear in the battle section despite of don't having any picture in their galleries.

I know is impossible to change the battle system right now, but I wanted to share my opinion.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel