Image Galleries Madness

Topic started by Dekken on Dec. 29, 2011. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Dekken (292 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Overview

Hello, I think this is the first time I write a Blog Entry and I wanted to express my thoughts about image uploading. Anime Vice is another anime encyclopedia, with forums and other stuff, but what distinguish it from other anime encyclopedias [in my opinion] is the huge quantity of images that it stores, actually I discovered this site because of the good images and because it allows you to have your own Image Gallery.

The problem is that there's a few things that I don't like, here I mention some of them:

I. Common Problems in Image Galleries

a) People upload pictures to galleries that aren't related at all to the picture.

I'll give some examples to explain my point:

Example 1:

This screenshot was added to the Rangiku's Gallery from Bleach, but as you can see, Rangiku is only seen in the distance and you can´t clearly see her. In my opinion this screenshot should be only in the gallery of the episode that contains it, but not in Rangiku's Gallery.

Example 2:

This screenshot was also added to the Rangiku's Gallery, and even though it doesn't highlight Rangiku, you can clearly see her and it shows an important moment in the series that involves the character, so, I think it's acceptable to have this screenshot in Rangiku's Gallery.

Example 3:

This screenshot doesn't show any important moment for the character or the series, nevertheless it strongly highlights the character, so, I think it's acceptable to have this screenshot in Rankigu's Gallery.

b) Duplicate pictures

Sometimes you can see duplicate pictures and this could happen due to these possible reasons:

• The gallery where you want to upload the picture has a hundreds of pictures and you don't want to check if the screenshot you are adding it's already there.
  • Some people upload screenshots of his/her favorite character but only to the characters' page and then when another person uploads screenshots for a specific episode of an anime series and later checks the characters' pages, the person realizes that some of his/her screenshots are duplicates.
  • Sometimes you can feel lazy and you don't want to check all the possible galleries where the picture (that you want to upload) might be.

c) Edited pictures

Sometimes people edit pictures (in some cases that are already in a wiki gallery), and I think it's OK if there is a good reason for that action, if not, the edited pictures should be deleted. I'll give some examples to explain my point:

Example 1:

This is a screenshot that was cropped in order to be used as the Default Image of the character Miku Yuuki. The editing is justified.

Example 2:

This is another screenshot (from the Zabimaru's Gallery) that was cropped and made smaller, but there is no good reason for doing that, I think the complete screenshot would be better.

d) Very similar pictures

For example look at this 2 pairs of screenshots:

They are very similar and I think there is no problem with that, but if you have a wiki gallery with hundreds of pictures and you want to add a couple of screenshots that are almost the same, I would suggest to pick only one and add it to the gallery. After all, you can keep in you gallery all the screenshots that you didn't add.

Suggestions

After talking about this issues, I would suggest to create wiki tasks for wiki pages that have a disorganized gallery with hundreds of pictures. These wiki tasks would involve [besides adding captions] the following actions:

• Deleting duplicated pictures, edited pictures, bad quality pictures, etc.
  • Adding the appropiate galleries.

Another solution could be to give some users the authorization to delete pictures that they consider inappropriate.

But anyway, what do you think about this? Am I exaggerating?

Post by takashichea (8,840 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Congrats on your first blog! One of the suggestions that would be great is a way to organize images in character's pages. I remembered doing a wiki task to get rid of duplicates and bad images in Fairy Tail's gallery. The only thing that Anna and I did was made arc galleries for story arcs. There were so much images.

An image search feature would be beneficial like searching by size, captions, or what episodes.

I confess that I edit images to remove watermarks. I have to go delete the Blue Exorcist ones for the earlier episodes. Also, I found Anime Vice when I surfing for Fairy Tail images.

Post by sickVisionz (4,145 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Dekken: Duplicate, subtitled, and watermarked pictures should be removed for sure. Part of me agrees with Example #1 but only because she's so tiny in the background and you could almost miss her. The other part of me says it should stay though because it is a picture with Rangiku in it.

I don't think edited pictures should be removed but they shouldn't be put in the screenshot gallery. Those Zabimaru ones are so tiny that I think someone just wanted to make a Zabi avatar and needed an online site to host the picture for other forums or something. Maybe if there was a gallery called "Tiny Pics" or "Avatars" they should go there.

I'm generally against erasing/deleting anything [whether it be pics, articles, threads, etc] that go against what I would personally do or how my own style would dictate they be done, but aren't actually in violation of any site rules or policies. If you want to reorganize the images then I think thats perfectly fine, but I would say DON'T erase images that you didn't upload and aren't breaking any rules simply because you don't like the picture.

Online Now

@sickVisionz:

Don't worry I don't erase images just because they're bad. I only delete water marks and subbed images; I always comment on the image that I'm going to delete. As for the edited images I post for Blue Exorcist, I just remove my images from the episode galleries. They don't look well. The Aniplex logo was a pain in the ass to remove, so I gave up. I went to Random Curiosity and use their images.

Edit:

See These images

It's a good thing that I left a comment on images that I cropped out.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,157 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Dekken: Absolutely hit the nail on the head, a lot of what you're written here are rules of thumb I use myself. Though I would point out that those Bleach screen caps under the "very similar" heading need to go anyway because they're watermarked with the TV Tokyo logo.

Also when you see screen caps with irregular shapes, make sure you check them to see if they're stitched caps (multiple images stuck together) even though they might look like cropped caps. Stitched caps should go into a "Stitched Caps" gallery.

Anyway, excellent thread. I've been meaning to write a full guide on this stuff for a long time and this is some of the stuff I would cover. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who cares about this sort of thing.

@takashichea said:

I confess that I edit images to remove watermarks. I have to go delete the Blue Exorcist ones for the earlier episodes. Also, I found Anime Vice when I surfing for Fairy Tail images.

Please tell me you used to do that but don't any more. Screen caps are only supposed to come from clean sources, editing out watermarks is cheating around the issue and isn't really acceptable.

Online Now

@Newten:

Of course not. I solved that issue with you back in the summer of '11. There were a lot of steps, but I still have that PM thing that you gave tips to Anna.

Edit:

the only time I did that was for Blue Exorcist and Hetalia World Axis Images. Nothing else.

@takashichea: Ah that's right I remember now, just wanted to make sure.

Post by Dekken (292 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Newten: But wait, those Bleach screen caps aren't allowed?, but FoxxFireArt uploads a lot of One Piece screen caps watermarked with the Toei Animation logo.

@Dekken: Clean screen caps are always preferable, but those One Piece caps are allowed because Toei Animation have proper rights to the show.

Basically, watermarks from companies like Toei, FUNimation and such are allowed. If screen caps have watermarks from TV stations like TV Tokyo that actually shows the images have come from pirated episodes downloaded from the internet, which is something this site doesn't encourage.

It's not perfect and it's understandable why you'd think it was okay. This is actually the reason I was against watermarks completely. But them's the rules.

Post by sickVisionz (4,145 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Newten said:

Please tell me you used to do that but don't any more. Screen caps are only supposed to come from clean sources, editing out watermarks is cheating around the issue and isn't really acceptable.

What exactly is wrong with editing out the watermarks? If the logos are gone, nobody will know where they came from so it seems like no harm no foul as far as the site should care.

There are a lot of series that wouldn't ever get screencaps until a Japanese BD/DVD release and the "cleanliness" of how one obtained those would be even more suspect imo since #1 I doubt the person is importing JP releases and #2 even if they were you have to break copy protection on the disk to get screen caps from these sources.

@Newten said:

@Dekken: Clean screen caps are always preferable, but those One Piece caps are allowed because Toei Animation have proper rights to the show.

If that's the justification, I'm pretty sure (100% sure) that TV-Tokyo and other stations have the proper rights to anything they air with their logo put on top of it.

@sickVisionz said:

What exactly is wrong with editing out the watermarks? If the logos are gone, nobody will know where they came from so it seems like no harm no foul as far as the site should care.

There are a lot of series that wouldn't ever get screencaps until a Japanese BD/DVD release and the "cleanliness" of how one obtained those would be even more suspect imo since #1 I doubt the person is importing JP releases and #2 even if they were you have to break copy protection on the disk to get screen caps from these sources.

I understand what you're saying, but screen caps/shots of anime (or video games, movies or anything else) should be a true, unedited representation of the product. Editing out watermarks is tampering with source material. Sometimes they're easy to edit out, which looks fine, but other times the part where the watermark was becomes a horrible mess.

And yeah, lots of the clean screen caps on this site are probably from pirated sources. But the rules are "no watermarks" so they're allowed. I was only pointing out the pirated source thing because watermarks images highlight that aspect, whereas clean ones don't.

@sickVisionz said:

If that's the justification, I'm pretty sure (100% sure) that TV-Tokyo and other stations have the proper rights to anything they air with their logo put on top of it.

Sorry, I didn't mean the kind of rights to air anime on TV, I mean "proper" ownership rights. The kind of rights animation studios and dubbing companies have.

Fox was the one who argued that point anyway, I was personally against all watermarks on screen caps.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel