Friend abuse

Topic started by sickVisionz on June 22, 2011. Last post by sickVisionz 3 years, 4 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

This is something that has always irked me a bit about the wiki pages. A friend isn't just somebody that you know. A friend isn't just someone who works for the same company or organization. A friend is somebody that you have a positive personal bond with. Someone that you trust.

I believe there is a site-wide tendency to define friend as someone that a character may have seen before. I was browsing through Orochimaru's wiki and someone basically attached every Akatsuki member as a friend of Orochimaru, lol even Itachi, a character that Orochimaru wanted to kill ever since he first saw him training as a child. That is not a friend.

I understand the need for an "Associates" page and the desire to link characters together but as of right now, I think creating a Concept for the organization/group is the better way to do it rather than considering people who barely knew each other, may have never been shown to get along well enough to be considered a friend, haven't actually been shown in manga/anime to even know each other, or actively disliked each other as friends.

Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Too bad their is not an acquaintance option, LOL... I know what you mean though
Post by takashichea (13,187 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Maybe an allies option or acquaintance option is good. I guess the concept for a certain group like Akatsuki, Oracion Seis, Hao's followers fill in the gap.

Edit: Another way is to fill in the description for the friends: frenemy, ally, associate, guild member, girlfriend, sister, mother, brother, etc.

@takashichea:  well we do have to get more creative on addining things on this site, Teams and Story-Arcs are part of the concepts pages, where as on CV they have their own wiki sections....  but in the mean time I dont really see a way around adding minor characters as friends or enemies of major characters, the thing is we all know the main characters, and their main friends and enemies, the minor characters however need that link to the major character, many times I go to a main characters page in an effort to find a supporting character. 
@sickVisionz
Sick, I actually dunno if I'd call that "abuse" but maybe we do need a third option on associating characters, though minor friendships are still friendships.

@EganTheVile1: Minor friendships aren't an issue. If there is at least something in the series that shows two characters being friends makes sense to add as a friend. My thing is when the only connection shown in the series is that person x was aware that person y exists but that gets interpreted as them being friends.

The Espada from Bleach are a good example. In the wiki, every Espada member is listed as being friends with each other. Some of them were legitimate friends with each other that's true. However, some of them were bitter enemies and some of them had no connection to each other than Aizen forcing them to be in the same room at the same time or face death. It makes sense that they all be linked to the Espada concept but I wouldn't consider them friends just because they're aware of each other's existence.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Yeah, I agree. Being in the same room as each other for one episode doesn't make characters friends with each other.

I've always thought it would be cool to have a family section, so you could add characters and pick an option that shows how they're related. So on Goku's page it would have:

Bardock

father

Raditz

brother

Chichi

wife

Gohan

son

Goten

son

Videl

daughter-in-law

...and so on. I think it would be pretty cool filling that out. Oh, or maybe one list for direct family and other for indirect like in-laws, steps... clones... alternate reality counterparts...

Oh man, now I'm itching to fill all that in on character pages.

@sickVisionz:  Ahh. I see what your saying now yeah I agree with that 
@Newten:  I think it is safe to associate family members as friends... I mean just because Goku does not remember Bardock the reverse is not true, Bardock died thinking of his son, I think a simple Friends/Family text edit to that wiki section would be simpler then creating a whole new section. Same can be said of enemies... maybe change it to Enemies/Rivals... as there are some characters who are not really enemies, but not really friends either... they are rivals. (Ash/Gary, Yugi/Kaiba, Speed/Racer X)
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@EganTheVile1: Yeah I know, I just thought it would be cool to see.

@Newten said:

@EganTheVile1: Yeah I know, I just thought it would be cool to see.

Ditto. just dont see the staff doing it
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I agree with everything said here, and agree the "friend" application is used much to much, there is a difference  between knowing someone and actually being their friend. 
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,337 posts) See mini bio Level 21

So that means Medusa have no friends, I kind of feel sorry for her now :(

@Destinyheroknight:  Again in the case of a character like that, there are people who consider her a friend or an ally at least. even if she does not feel the same way
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,337 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@EganTheVile1:

But she usually force people to be her allies (but I guess her son/daughter, count as a friend)

It's not quite the same as a dedicated family page, but if you click here 

It will take you to a page where you can edit in details about the friendship 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel