Filling Out the Japanese and Here is a Tip How

Topic started by FoxxFireArt on Dec. 2, 2009. Last post by FoxxFireArt 5 years ago.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Now and again I like to just surf through the site and find what information I can fill out. Try to find a better quality profile picture, try to fill out first appearances, and the most commonly unfilled segment I find is the lack of the Japanese.

I understand that not everyone knows Japanese. I am still learning it many parts, but I have a pretty strong base of understanding.

Here is a tip I have for those of you who might not know your Japanese too well. It's a website I found a while back.
http://jisho.org/  

Type in the word you are looking for and it will show you the Japanese writing, in hiragana, katakana, and Kanji(where applicable). You can even check how words are used in sentences, and find the kanji for names. Your browser will need to be able to read Japanese, but you will be able to copy and paste the characters as needed.
If you know the Japanese spelling. Write it in the Japanese segment, and it will take care of the rest and show you the meaning.

Now, the site doesn't translate things into romanji (basically how we can read it). It does it into hiragana and katakana. For those of you who can't read those. I'm posting here a hand made chart I did years ago when I was first studying Japanese. It's non perfect, but it basically works. This will help you to fill out what the ronamji will be for words.

Hiragana

This is the most common writing system in Japan. This is what you learn before you start kanji. A kanji character can represent a single to multiple hiragana characters.

Hiragana
 Hiragana

Katakana

This system is more often used for non-Japanese words. Such as English names or English pronounced words. Here is a tip, don't go by how you think it's spelled. Go by pronunciations. Think of each character as a syllable.

Here is an example:
My name is Kristoffer. In Japanese it would be spelled as クリストファー(ku-ri-su-to-faa) Now, you may notice that character near the end, judging by the chart, means "fu". You would be correct, but notice the small "a" next to it. That is telling you to replace the "u" in "fu" with an "a". Since there is no "fa" character. The dash at the end is telling you to extend the vowel sound that comes before it. Making it "faa".

Here is where it's a bit tricky. The name Arthur is actually spelled as アーサー (aa-saa). This is because the Japanese language doesn't have a "th" sounds. So, they use the S based syllables. The same goes for L based sounds. That is replaced with R based syllables.
This is just two examples of the differences.

I hope this helps some out.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
That's pretty neat. I avoid filling in those areas because of my lack of knowledge about Japanese characters. Maybe, I'll give it a try using this chart sometime. :)
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@Lan: 
I added some information that might help.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel