Enough with these ridiculous aliases

Topic started by buhssuht on Jan. 27, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

When I'm browsing some of wikis on AnimeVice, I stumble upon some character's page with ridiculous aliases. I don't know about some of editors out there but I feel like you should only add aliases if it's important to the plot whether it's character's title or nickname, and yet something uncommon. Maybe I'm overreacting to this matter, so people who are reading this can be the judge. As far as I'm concerned, please think before you edit.

Some good examples

For Goku, he really does get called by different name, he got his Earthing name and Saiyan name, with different spelling for each.

And as for Optimus Prime, he got Japanese name and US name, as well as different incarnation.

Some bad examples

Pidge's alias is shorty. Really, he can't be the only character who's short and called shorty is he?

I don't remember anybody calling Ichigo king before. Even so he isn't the only king manga/anime universe, or have King as his name.

I don't even know where to begin with Alucard. Most of his aliases variation of his original names and nicknames. Really now, Count? Monster?

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@buhssuht: Got rid of a few completely pointless aliases from Ichigo and Alucard's pages, but it's not really a big deal overall.

I haven't watched Hellsing so I don't really know how valid the aliases left on his page are. Sometimes it seems like certain aliases should obviously be removed but they're actually the character's name in a certain dub or translation, so it's hard to deal with aliases sometimes. Several of Goku's aliases are examples of that.

I searched "shorty" and two characters came up, so that's not a problem. It would only be a problem if like... 50 characters came up, making the search difficult to deal with.

@Daniel_Newton: I think that's part of problem; fixing alias whenever you feel like. Say I delete all those aliases because it's invalid, some fanboy/fangirl is gonna notice it and he or she is going to be all like "This character should be called such and such, and I'm going to add that as aliases."

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@buhssuht: Well, that kind of logic applies to all of the wiki, when you think about it. I wouldn't worry too much, extra aliases generally don't cause any actual problems.

@Daniel_Newton: I hope not. I only posted because I was kinda fed up with some other aliases I've found.

Post by takashichea (11,161 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@buhssuht: @Daniel_Newton:

I'll keep an eye out for these aliases. Oh, I remember Lucy Heartphilia had a ton of them because of Natsu and some other characters' pet names for her. I think that was the old me back in 2010. I'd better check her out.

• Lucy Heartphilia
  • Luigi
  • Cosplay Queen
  • Princess
  • Loppy
  • Lucy-Wucy
  • Rival in Love
  • Cheerleader
  • Lu-chan

Yup, I removed everything except Lucy Heartphilia.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel