Editing doubt

Topic started by Levance on Oct. 8, 2011. Last post by takashichea 3 years, 1 month ago.
Post by Levance (1,846 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Well as I have seen, there are a big number of articles here related with series, characters, concept, etc. Mainly related with Japan' s stuff. I myself had just edited some articles about some characters. But my doubt is the next; before asking I would like to say that I'm going to continue editing, because is fun, and this question is more because of curiosity, and the importance that people gives to editing.

Is there an advantage or recompense from editing?, or people just do it for fun?

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@Levance:

I do it for fun. I mainly edit the anime that i like, and since i like them, it drives me to do a good job at it ^^

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I think people do it for fun at first and once you start seeing points flying it becomes somewhat of an obsession/addiction.

@sickVisionz:Points?

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Levance: Every wiki edit that you make gives you points. If you have less than 5,000 then you unlock features that make wiki-editing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less of a pain in the ass to do. After 5,000 they don't do anything other than improve your ranking on articles and the Top Users List.

@sickVisionz: Well, that resolves my doubt, I will continuing editing but still for fun, and just like KuroNekoXIII, I'm gonna edit about my favourite series too. Thanks

Post by takashichea (13,774 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I remember wiki editing was a soft core hobby. It only started with Alice in the Country of Hearts and Fairy Tail. Now, I been working on every week with multiple shows.

I will write a blog about wiki addiction and wiki binging.

@takashichea:I have only edited a few articles of Umineko no naku koro ni, but there are very few knowers of the series, so I have a big work to do

@Levance said:

@takashichea:I have only edited a few articles of Umineko no naku koro ni, but there are very few knowers of the series, so I have a big work to do

I remember a lot of people had that purpose when they saw many empty pages for their favorite show. I was like that. Now, I'm spreading the love.

Other reasons: Competition (Like SickvisionZ said) and for the Community (This is my purpose).

Good luck! Make a project blog out of it. I see so many wiki editors working silently like my partner. That's why I made a recognition blog to document and give out shout outs.

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I do it for fun, it becomes more fun when you see the points. :D

Wow, it took me a whole hour to edit a character article

@Levance said:

Wow, it took me a whole hour to edit a character article

It can take that long.

@Fire Star:I've got a lot of work to do with Umineko, almost all articles don't have anything, and even if isn't so long, Umineko has at least 40 characters, it will take me a while to edit all xD

@Levance: That's why we encourage teams. Look for others who are interested in Wiki work and enjoy the series.

@Fire Star:I doubt that there are many people, however I enjoy working alone. Thanks for the move

@Levance: No problem, good luck!

@Levance:

I forgot to give you tips and this table.

Solo's BenefitsTeam's benefits
  • No pressure, easy to drop out and go in a series
  • Good for short anime and manga series
  • It's at your own pace
  • It's faster, fun, and more efficient
  • Good for long anime and manga series
  • You can fall back on your teammates when things get hectic
  • Can divide up the work and tackle things efficiently
  • A big presence in the forums for that franchise
  • When working alone, it's best to work on a short series (about 24 episodes) or (15 volumes). It's insane to work on 50 episodes by yourself.
  • For new and current manga or anime: Spread your work and pace yourself. When you fall behind, it means more work.
  • For images, you need find a good source. Usually, Crunchyroll and Hulu are good unless they don't have it. You may have to resort to download episodes on your computer.
  • For characters, you got it down. The wiki style guide is always there.
  • For volumes, you need table of contents and plot summary. Usually, you can read scans online or at the library. Most of the times, scans do not provide table of contents, character notes, or notes from the author. If the manga has a dub version in North America, check it out. There's a lot of stuff that the scans do not provide.
  • For episodes, format early. I mean it. It takes so long to add seiyuu and to reformat everything.

For example, Fire_Star and I were working on Rave Master in May to July 2011. We didn't know the style guide well, and each episode is supposed to have plot summary or synopsis as the first header. However, when you have big episode plot summaries, you need to have a short one.

• Plot Summary or Synopsis (in H2)
  • Full Plot Summary
  • Points of Interests

For Rave Master, we were too far in completing the anime but our plot summaries were unorganized. It took a week to reformat every episode and add both English and Japanese voices. It was 51 episodes. (I did about 9 to 10 episodes a day since I had no school). Check out the Rave Master Recognition blog and the end blog for proof.

• Be sure to check out my team's episode works on Beelzebub, Fairy Tail, Sket Dance, Blue Exorcist, and Gosick.
  • or check out FoxxFireArt's work on One Piece, HOTD, and Code Geass
  • or check out Auron570's work on My Ordinary Life, Hanasaku Iroha, Squid Girl

I don't want to stress you out. It looks daunting but it's possible. Don't give up and be disillusioned.

Please take your time and take a step at a time. Have fun wiki editing.

If you have more questions, please ask FoxxFireArt, the mods, my teammates, or me.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel