Concept ideas thread.

Topic started by damswedon on Sept. 20, 2010. Last post by takashichea 3 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (10,599 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Created the Sister Complex page. Going to need your help find the best image that represents this concept.

@Destinyheroknight:

Sorry for the late reply. You know created concept pages with the # in front for non wiki pages such as #Profile Portraits: Characters. Maybe you can create a concept page with that symbol in front.

I'll get some folks to help you out to fill in the gallery.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Destinyheroknight said:

Should we add a Color Spreads concept, manga always have them in?

Straw Hats & The Heart Pirates
Straw Hats & The Heart Pirates

I guess it's basically the manga equivalent of an eyecatch, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Just make sure the images are also in a "Color Spread" gallery on the appropriate manga series page.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,158 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Daniel_Newton:

I'll get on it tomorrow

@takashichea:

That ok

Since you're close to the 5,000 mark, this thread is for proposing new concept pages, the non franchise specific ones. Please use this one. Thank you.

Post by bigz007 (1,088 posts) See mini bio Level 20
  1. I have one suggestion. Is it a good idea to create a concept page called "Epilepsy Warning" or something like that? I came across some episodes that is just too flashy to watch even for the people without epilepsy.
  2. And one more thing. I don't know if this should be a concept page or something else, but I think we should be able to check if a series is ongoing or finished. I have no idea how to make this happen, I just know it would be quite convenient.

@bigz007:

Maybe, a list feature would be useful for that. I'll wait for the others. The best known example of epilepsy is the Pokemon episode, "Electric Soldier" that wreak havoc among the children in Japan. It was never aired in the US or any countries outside of Japan.

@bigz007 said:

I have one suggestion. Is it a good idea to create a concept page called "Epilepsy Warning" or something like that? I came across some episodes that is just too flashy to watch even for the people without epilepsy.

That seems like a page that would be so rarely used it wouldn't really be worth having. It's pretty unlikely anyone would ever see it in an episode page before watching that episode anyway, making the "warning" aspect pretty useless.

The only episode that legitimately caused epileptic fits that I can think of is the Pokémon episode Taka mentioned. I think it's better to just add something to the wiki page about it. Maybe add a point to the trivia section of an episode page or something.

And one more thing. I don't know if this should be a concept page or something else, but I think we should be able to check if a series is ongoing or finished. I have no idea how to make this happen, I just know it would be quite convenient.

That's something that other sites already do and do it better than we ever could so it would be a fools errand to even try, to be honest. If you want to check what's airing I recommend checking MAL.

@Daniel_Newton: There are tons of concept/object/location pages not attached to a single episode page, so how come this started to be our criteria of creating pages.

I know about that Pokemon episode and I also found a lot more of similar ones. I always check the episode stats before watching it, and for example when i see "Filler" concept attached to a episode page I skip that episode. So for me it wouldn't be useless.

@bigz007 said:

@Daniel_Newton: There are tons of concept/object/location pages not attached to a single episode page, so how come this started to be our criteria of creating pages.

Attaching a page to an episode or chapter should always be a priority, if users are creating pages and attaching them to nothing, they're not using the wiki correctly. Though there are some exceptions, like all the different Pokémon species (some of them haven't appeared in episodes or chapters yet but it would be silly to not have them in the wiki) and some pages are only attached to movies, so that doesn't add to the episode or chapter counts.

Regardless, I still think adding a note under a trivia header on the episode page is a perfectly reasonable alternative.

@Daniel_Newton: @bigz007:

A cold open (also called a teaser) in a television program or movie is the technique of jumping directly into a story at the beginning or opening of the show, before the title sequence or opening credits are shown. On television this is often done on the theory that involving the audience in the plot as soon as possible will reduce the likelihood of their switching away from a show during the opening commercial

Is Cold Open a good concept page? I just ran into for a couple of the Fall 2013 shows I'm working on. I know it isn't English class in Anime Vice. It has been bugging me. Though, I could just write out in the Points of Interest section as an alternative.

@takashichea: You're asking because of Wanna be the strongest in the world, right? I think it's a good idea for a concept page. It can be used for When they cry a couple of times and I know I've seen it somewhere else...

@bigz007:

Heh, yeah. Just to add that: Magi Ep. 26 and Log Horizon's Ep. 1 plus the 1st five episodes of Shin Sekai Yori.

I thought would be useful.

@takashichea: I'm pretty sure almost all anime starts like that. When was the last time you started watching an anime episode and the opening sequence was shown before anything else? It happens, but rarely. Heck, most TV shows these days start that way too.

I don't know, we could add it. I think we have plenty of more interesting pages we could be focusing on right now, though. There are loads of great tropes we don't have in the wiki yet.

@Daniel_Newton:

Somehow, I knew your answer. I do agree. I'll do my alternative like I used to do.

@Daniel_Newton said:

@takashichea: I'm pretty sure almost all anime starts like that. When was the last time you started watching an anime episode and the opening sequence was shown before anything else? It happens, but rarely. Heck, most TV shows these days start that way too.

I don't know, we could add it. I think we have plenty of more interesting pages we could be focusing on right now, though. There are loads of great tropes we don't have in the wiki yet.

So your reason why we shouldn't add it is because almost every show have it? Why do we have humans concept than. Every show have that too? How about Protagonist and Flashback concept page? Almost every show have those too.

P.S. I'm really starting to hate double standard on this site.

@bigz007: That's exactly why I said we could add it, just that there are other pages that are perhaps worth focusing on more. Since you've brought some pages up though, I'll try to explain why they're worth having:

1. Humans - this is a race, and we catalogue races in the wiki (Shinigami, Saiyans, Namekians, Ghosts, Zombies, etc.) so naturally we also have Humans. Besides that base-level reason, this page also has a lot of potential. I can think of lots of interesting things to add to that page regarding Humans in relation to anime and manga. In some works Humans have latent potential (like in Dragon Ball where they can learn to manipulate ki), in other works the origins of the Human race is different, stuff like that. I realize the page is empty right now, but you have to see it as more than just "humans are in anime and manga, duh." One of these days myself or someone else will get around to adding cool info to that page.
  2. Flashback - likewise flashbacks are treated differently in different works, both visually and in their implementation. Just to clarify, a "flashback" is NOT the thing at the beginning of an anime episode that catches you up with what's been going on in the last few episodes. That's a recap. A flashback is when a character remembers something.
  3. Protagonist - okay, this one I'm kind of with you on. I didn't add this page and I've always thought it was pointless. I can't really think of much you could write about protagonists that's specific to anime and manga so I don't know why we have this page. I guess you could write about how protagonists are treated in certain genres, but, we have pages for anime/manga-specific genres anyway.

Sorry, I can understand why it looks like we have double standards sometimes when it comes to the wiki but I (personally) try to think everything through before I add pages or make changes to the wiki. Sometimes the reasons behind allowing/denying certain pages aren't immediately obvious and I can only apologize for that.

Post by madnessreaver (7 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Hello there. I think that we need to create Gendercide concept page as it apply on many manga and anime. I mean think about it how many manga and anime show that all men or women have died leaving the other gender all by itself.

@madnessreaver:

Sorry for the late reply. I think it's a great idea. It's a small trope with a few examples. Easy to manage.

How about "Fake Brand" or "Fake Logo" concept? I saw a lot of Ponysonics, Papasonics, McDynald's, WcDonald's etc.

@bigz007:

Oh! We have that page. It's called Product Placement.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel