Character's Friend and Enemy Pages' Appearance - Useful or Not?

Topic started by takashichea on Feb. 6, 2012. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by takashichea (11,983 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Overview

Background: This question came to me when I was looking at a Wikia site's decision to eliminate trivia sections from episode pages due to its hassle and lack of functionality. I looked at Anime Vice's wiki tools and page layouts as I did my usual wiki edits for my teams. I started questioning the usefulness of the links in the friends and enemies sections of the character pages.

The section that is often overlooked are the links for the appearances of a character's friend and enemy like when they meet. Usually, wiki editors are busy and just add characters with descriptions or not. In time, we forget when the characters meet each other. I put more priority on important things, and the info of when a minor character meets someone usually escapes my mind. In animes and mangas that have a large roster of characters, the links become a hassle to complete.

I think it should go.

What do you think about this feature?

Related Topics:

Takashichea - 2:32AM Pacific Time, 2-6-12

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Could be useful but I honestly don't think the most people are even aware that the editable version of the friends page exists. I wouldn't get rid of it though. I'm sure someone makes good use of it and it's not getting in the way or anything like that.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,219 posts) See mini bio Level 20

These sub-pages in the wiki are hidden away and most people don't really know they're there. That doesn't mean we should get rid of any of that stuff though. If anything I think the "edit" link on the friends/enemies section should be removed so you would have to go to the sub-page to add or remove characters.

Anyway, from what I've heard the engineers are doing a lot of work on the wiki so we should be seeing some changes soon. I'd wait and see what happens.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I hope one of the wiki changes is to bring back the dedicated episode link in the left hand column. I don't know why they got rid of that.

Post by takashichea (11,983 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@sickVisionz: @Newten:

Yes, I agree with your points. I got too radical with this stuff. I was trying to think of something to improve the site and make wiki editing simple for all of us.

The only good thread and idea is about the image gallery that Ethan and his staff took in consideration and really improved it. It was great to have organized image galleries.

@sickVisionz said:

I hope one of the wiki changes is to bring back the dedicated episode link in the left hand column. I don't know why they got rid of that.

I missed that feature, too. On the Wikia sites, they don't have that feature or tool to track down how many times a character has appear in the manga or volume (if I could still find it). Or maybe the Admin has a tool exclusive to them that keeps track of the characters' appearances.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel