Building a Better Wiki: Perfect Profile Portraits! [+ tutorial]

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 20, 2012. Last post by Daniel_Newton 3 months, 1 week ago.
Post by takashichea (16,528 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Dekken:

and I work on the project. We decided to make a separate franchise since you have a stand alone title, the manga series as a original source, which spawns two anime sequels.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,322 posts) See mini bio Level 20

So I looked up the Fate/Stay stuff and it's pretty confusing (there are sequels, prequels, and alternate reality versions) but it should all be under one franchise page, not multiple. Pokémon is a much bigger franchise with multiple side-series and alternate stories but there's still only one franchise page.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

Hate to be off-topic, but I look it up. Pokemon franchise does cover everything. For Fate and Fate Kaleid, they have different, separate Wikipedia profiles. Also, Fate isn't the right franchise. What would you do with Carnival Phantasm? It's the combination of variety of Type-Moon shows: Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai, etc. Going by your example, shouldn't we lump every Type-Moon series under Type-Moon franchise?

Interestingly, I had the same question from a user who wanted the sequel manga of Suzuka, Fuuka, to be in a separate franchise.

On Topic:

I'll fix this later. I was creating lots of profile portraits after no one bumped the blog.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

I did some thinking. You're right. I wasn't thinking. I was looking at the NARUTO Spin-Off: Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals which was based on Rock Lee's manga. We still put it under Naruto.

When I look at Fate Kaleid, I'm not sure who created the page. It wasn't me since I'm OCD about adding any page I created to my lists of created wiki pages.

I can't delete it. I'll recycle it. Sorry about that.

It's been a while since I posted here.

Hey guys, please remember to add all the profile portraits to the wiki page. I know it's easy to forget, I usually add them there first before adding them to the character pages, that makes it easier.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

I hit flood fail, so I couldn't really update this blog with new profile portraits. I'm almost hitting 900 portraits. I lost track where I left off.

I apologize for not putting my images in that gallery like I'm active for the Eyecatch gallery. Just been extremely busy with school, wiki projects, and community projects lately this year.

@takashichea: No problem, I wonder if that page is really worth the trouble any more. The idea was to keep all the profile portraits in one place and give users a little extra incentive (a few extra wiki points) to make more portraits. Since portraits have been the standard in the wiki for a long time now that incentive is kind of gone/unnecessary and if we haven't been adding every portrait to the page then it's an incomplete collection, so people would be better off going to the character pages to find the portraits they want...

...so, yeah. Shall I just get rid of it to save the hassle? It'd probably be for the best.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

No, don't get rid of it. The problem is that our community is small and the methods to make a profile portrait requires a lot of fine tuning. Only less than 10 wiki editors in our site used this method while the bulk of our wiki editors are casual, short term users who used anime or manga default images.

I have been struggling to teach it to users and find out their mistakes. You remember me. It took you to teach me a few tries until I got it down.

Plus, the page hasn't been visited often, so people don't know about it. We haven't enforced it. I tried enforcing it when I do image moderation.

I will upload images just in multiple sittings. I got a winter 2015 guide to take care of.

Edit:

Goals would be uploading the images. Setting up wiki tasks. Making threads to promote it. Say we have a wiki team project, teach the wiki editors to used it. When you complete it, make a wiki accomplishment thread and linked it to both franchise and profile portrait wiki page.

@takashichea: Hang on I think you got the wrong idea, I didn't mean we should get rid of the profile portraits idea. Like I said, it's become the standard now and I don't often run into character pages that don't have portraits. All I'm saying is we should probably get rid of the profile portraits wiki page, since it's become clear that it's a pain for most users to use it. It's easier to just upload the profile portraits to the character pages and if a user wants to find a portrait of their favourite character, they can just go to the character page.

Thoughts, ? I know like Taka you often forget/find it a pain to add all the portraits you make to the wiki page in addition to the character pages, so you'd probably be happy to see it go. I'm actually kind of settled on getting rid of it already, even I forget to add portraits to it sometimes, I'm just checking with you guys.

We can still of course post portraits we've made in this thread, I think it's a good way to share progress and encourage each other.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

Oops, I misunderstood you. Blame the stress this week. Haven't had time to cool down. Another solution would be making a request thread or using this thread and telling new wiki editors through wiki moderation to check this thread out. I'm very vocal and responsive in my wiki moderation. I always tried to leave a comment if there is something wrong or something that needs to be added.

I posted a blog to promote this community project.

Post by Dekken (619 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@Daniel_Newton said:

It's easier to just upload the profile portraits to the character pages and if a user wants to find a portrait of their favourite character, they can just go to the character page.

I totally agree with that, besides without having to care about adding portraits to that page, we could focus more in other things like organizing the images in the characters' galleries. But please don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of creating a page to collect all the portraits and make it easier for users to go through them and pick one for their icon, however I think making things easier by removing that page is a step in the right direction (I wonder if the Figures and People pages will have the same fate).

Now, if at the end the #Profile Portraits: Characters is deleted, what would happen to the images that were attached to the page? Would they have a "(All Images)" text next to the "Galleries" section like this image?

@Dekken: Yeah I had a feeling you'd agree, I'll go ahead with it. And yeah, I'll get rid of the figure and people pages too. I never really found a use for figure portraits anyway.

As for the "All Images" bug, as far as I know there's no way of knowing beforehand if it will happen or not when you delete a page, so usually I remove all images from a page before deleting it to be safe. I'll take the time to do that here since we're dealing with so many images and it would be a shame if that bug happened and affected all of them.

Post by Dekken (619 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@Daniel_Newton: If you want I can help you to remove the images, just tell me at what time I can do it, so we won't be in the page at the same time. BTW, I think Taka added a bunch a his portraits recently.

@Dekken: Thanks, there's no need to rush especially this close to Christmas. I'll let you know when I start removing images.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel