Building a Better Wiki: Perfect Profile Portraits! [+ tutorial]

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 20, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 hour, 20 minutes ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,219 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@Dekken: Nice job on those!

That depends. Was the change permanent? If it's a form that the character can transform into, then use the character's "base" form (like regular Goku as opposed to Super Saiyan Goku). If it's a permanent change then I'd say use that unless the character appeared the same way for several episodes, changed, then never appeared again after that episode.

It kind of comes down to a judgement call sometimes, but yeah, as a general rule: use the most current, base form of a character.

Latest images from me:

Post by Dekken (373 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: No, Hordy stayed like this for several episodes, but he changed again at the end of the arc (this change was permanent). I think I'll use his original form for the profile portrait. Thanks for your help.

More One Piece characters:

Five of them were made from the same scan, I hope it doesn't matter.

Online Now

@Dekken: Yeah that's fine. You're killin' it man, keep it up.

Online Now

A few new ones from me.

Not 100% happy with that last one, but it works. It can be changed later anyway.

Post by Dekken (373 posts) See mini bio Level 20

More One Piece characters:

I have a question, some characters like Baskerville and Cerberus have 3 heads and another ones come in duos or more like the Risky Brothers or the Medaka Sisters.

How should I make the profile portraits of these characters?

Online Now

@Dekken: Good question. If you can make a 300 x 450 or 300 x 300 image work then go for it, otherwise I guess they can be the exceptions. Thankfully there aren't many of those in the wiki anyway.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,248 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Daniel_Newton:

So is this better? Also, sorry it took me so long, been busy

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: That's better but it's still zoomed out pretty far. Like I said, don't worry about cropping some hair out, try to make it so her head (roughly the top of her head to her chin) just about fills the top 300 x 300 pixels.

Her are some more to compare with:

It doesn't have to be exact, there's some variation between those four images, but they're pretty close.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,248 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Daniel_Newton:

Ok, I believe I got it now

Thanks for the help

Online Now

@Destinyheroknight: Yeah that's much better, you're welcome.

Post by takashichea (11,977 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Daniel_Newton:

It was tough doing the Tari Tari characters because I don't have stitched caps. With stitched caps, I get their whole face and head into the portrait. This is the best I can do with screencaps.

Online Now

@takashichea: They will do for now, we can always change them later.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@sickVisionz:

Don't want to be rude, but these are small.

Edit:

Thanks for the character images! I always love posting conceptual art.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@takashichea: Ok. Why do you specifically need stitched caps to make a 300x450 Even a 720p pic is noticeably larger and Crunchyroll offers 1080p. Not to mention you can go on Google images and set the size to large and find a bunch of huge pics.

Online Now

@takashichea: @sickVisionz: Yeah it's just a matter of looking in the right places. Like sickVisionz said, a search like this should come up with some decent images.

Some new ones from me:

More Tari Tari!

Sket Dance shots. I'm not happy with Switch's portrait, and I think the necks are a bit long for Bossun.

Which Wakana shot do you like, megane, smiling, or the official art one?

@Daniel_Newton:

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting to use Mini Tokyo.

@sickVisionz:

I'm picky. I like a full shot, and usually when screencaps have a full head shot, it's not big enough.

Post by AURON570 (566 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@takashichea: Those look nice. I like the pic of Wakana on the left best, so I guess that's the official art one? o.o

@AURON570:

Then, I'll use that one. Both the right and left image are official art. I was searching thru AV and Google for a nice anime shot. All I found was the middle which is slightly blurry.

Atsuhiro and Taichi were pretty challenging to find.

@AURON570:

I did the Natsuyuki Rendezvous characters. What do you think about them? Too bad, there was not much official art where I get a full head shot when I was hunting thru Google.

Edit:

Here are your images. I couldn't prevent Ifuka or Maya images from stretching. You need to find other snapshots.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel