Building a Better Wiki: Perfect Profile Portraits! [+ tutorial]

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 20, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 1 week ago.
Post by Sonata (35,169 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
@Daniel_Newton: I did, the pic may not work for it, I'll try another one.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Dekken: Thanks. I haven't really "changed" any rules, I've just refined them and set a standard to go by. Of course, if anyone has a serious problem with these guidelines they're welcome to speak up. I'm pretty sure the logic and reasoning behind these guidelines is solid, so I wouldn't worry.

If you think you can find a nice looking anime cap then go for it, but that image is more than good enough.

@Bigheart711: Thanks Bigheart, post the portraits you make here if you like.

Post by takashichea (10,962 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

I did Nene and Imitatia's profiles. Though, they're a bit blurry.

I'm still looking for a good stitched cap for Saber. I see if I can do Ayumu Aikawa and the rest of the cast.

Daniel: Do you prefer Paint.Net or GIMP? I tried using GIMP but fail. I'm so used to Paint.Net, and GIMP feels foreign.

Edit:

I did Eucliwood Hellsythe, Seraphim, and Haruna.

Here's some more I've done:

@takashichea: Personally I use Photoshop, but when I tried both Paint.NET and GIMP I definitely preferred Paint.NET, that's why I used it for the tutorial. It's very similar to Photoshop.

The main trick is to use nice big images if you can. You want to be shrinking them down, not making small images bigger, naturally those become blurry.

Oh by the way, please remember to save these an PNG images, the smaller icons look bad when they're saved as JPG images.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

The previous default image for Eu had the same ratio
The previous default image for Eu had the same ratio

Oh, darn. I have to redo some of these.

Edit:

I look at the former default image which on the left window. It had the same ratio, and it looked better. I just changed it back to its original default image.

I redid Nene and Seraphim. I realized I was getting too close to the face, and I needed to get a full head shot.

Thanks for doing Ayumu.

Edit:

Post by Dekken (339 posts) See mini bio Level 20

What do you think of these ones?, I'm open to any suggestions.

@Dekken: Not bad at all, though I'd suggest is getting in a little closer on some of them, look at the difference between Tomo and Mafuyu for example. Mafuyu is pretty much ideal, Tomo is a little small/far out.

Also, try to find anime images when you can, rather than manga/light novel images, and try to get the characters in their "usual" outfit (for Tomo that would probably be her school uniform, like Mafuyu).

I had a quick look for Seikon no Qwaser character images myself though and I realize it's not easy, most of the good images I found had them wearing bikinis and such. Those images are more than good enough so you can use those on the character pages if you haven't already. We can always change them later.

Some new ones from me:

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@Daniel_Newton: Since you guys are doing this, can I have you guys give these characters the proper image treatment? Thank you in advance!

Astraea

Chaos

Sohara

Nymph

Eishiro

Mikako

Ikaros Melan

Hiyori Kazane

Tomoki Sakurai

@ShadowKnight508: Aww man, spoilers! I've only seen the anime stuff. Can you find some big manga images of the manga-only characters? If you can find me those I'll make the portraits, if I look for them I'll end up seeing more spoilers, haha.

Here are the ones I've done so far:

Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@Daniel_Newton: Sorry about that...should have said something about most of those pages having massive spoilers for the series. I will try to track down the images you need (manga-only characters). Thank you for doing the four above!

@ShadowKnight508: No worries. I just saw "Ikaros Melan" and my spoiler alarm was tripped. Here's Mikako:

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,171 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I just got done with the mains for Slayers

It just took me about fifteen minutes for all of them

@Destinyheroknight: Not bad, zooming in a little more would be better though. Remember they appear very small on some pages in the wiki. Here's a comparison to show you what I mean:

The fourth one is at about the right zoom/distance.

More Seikon no Qwaser characters xD:

Post by Bigheart711 (3,696 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Characters from Red Garden and Revolutionary Girl Utena:

Online Now

@Dekken: @Bigheart711: @Destinyheroknight:

Awesome job everyone!

@Dekken: Those are great!

@Bigheart711: A few of those could be better, but good job. The pink-haired girl at the end is probably the best one.

A few more from me. @ShadowKnight508: Almost done wish those Heaven's Lost Property characters.

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

Cool! You found Misty in her AG outfit plus Lucy and Erza's images. I'll do some more. I was thinking of implementing this in Sket Dance Wikia community. We use 300PX, and it's still kind of small.

I just got to practice some more.

@takashichea: I'm glad it's working so well. It makes a big difference to the wiki, especially on episode pages.

Latest images:

The main characters from Asu no Yoichi:

By the way, some characters like Hordy Jones or Hyouzou had a change in their appearance during the series because they ate Energy Steroids:

Which form should I use to make the profile portraits, the original form or the second form?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel