Building a Better Wiki: Perfect Profile Portraits! [+ tutorial]

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 20, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 week, 6 days ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: Let me know how it goes. Those images are perfect for this, I'd pick the second one for Freed.

Post by takashichea (12,274 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@sickVisionz: @Daniel_Newton:

All right, it was difficult to do Saber. I didn't have a lot of Fate Zero images of Saber since Fate Zero has 720P quality.

Saber's face is too big for the template box. I might have to hunt for another image.

Edit:

I just did Akane Tange's image!

I want you to get Myuu Ousawa and Haruka Nanase images.

I'm going to try Kaidou Motoharu and Phil Bannet images.

Edit:

How are these images?!

@takashichea: Looks like you've got the hang of it, good job. The Freed image is too small though, like I said before, I'd suggest using the other image you posted.

@Daniel_Newton:

Oh, my bad. I'll use the other one.

Edit:

Finished! This is getting easier. Well, if you got a good image, then it's easy.

Post by Sonata (35,386 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@takashichea: Sure thats no problem 

@Daniel_Newton: Nice job on the tutorial. I liked the PNG's as well but they can be a serious pain. This is much easier.
Made one for Myuu 

Profile Image Myuu Ousawa
Profile Image Myuu Ousawa
Hows this??

@Sonata: Not bad, but it's a little smaller/more zoomed out than it needs to be. This it better:

Also a picture of her wearing one of her more usual outfits would be better, but this will do for now.

Oh, and I noticed the image caption and gallery didn't quite match the guidelines. I know it doesn't seem important, but if you could make them all match that will help keep the wiki consistent.

Post by AgentFakku (204 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Can someone do these images?

Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24

One thing, I'm curious why you went for rectangles instead of squares? They look just as nice and you don't have to worry about positioning anything so that it doesn't get cropped out when turned into icons.

@AgentFakku: Can you link me to the character pages so I know who they are? Also, are you sure that first picture is official artwork?

@sickVisionz: After seeing how well it worked on MyAnimeList I decided to go for a similar format. I think the tall images look better on the character pages themselves, letting you see a little more of the character than just the face while also still working perfectly when translated into icons. It's a best of both worlds sort of thing. As for anyone having trouble cropping images they can try the tutorial and if they're still having trouble they can leave a request here.

I believe I have mastered this now lol I have done several of these so far XD

@Daniel_Newton:

After browsing his profile, I believe those characters are from the series Brandish: Twiska, Irufa, and Maya.

@Sonata:

I still need practice. I still couldn't find a good image for Saber. I'll skip her and do Rin Tohsaka. Saber needs an expert on her page. I'm just a novice.

@takashichea: Alright I'll do Sabers real quick:)
Made one for Saber 

Saber (Profile Portrait)
Saber (Profile Portrait)

@Sonata:

Sweet! It looks great. I redid Erica Blandelli's image. I did Agiel of Beelzebub and finally, I did a cute image for Rin.

@takashichea: Very Nice!!XD
Post by Dekken (392 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I think this is a great idea. I like a lot the Transparent PNG, but sometimes is difficult to find a full body picture and edit it, this new format is better and easier.

Nevertheless I'm worried about one thing, Have all the moderators and important wiki editors already approved this?, I don´t want to see people complaining about this if I start making a lot of profile portraits.

By the way, here is the profile portrait of Kyoka Manyuu:

Kyoka Manyuu (Profile Portrait)
Kyoka Manyuu (Profile Portrait)

The texture of the scan is still visible, should I use an anime cap for the portrait?

Here are some new ones and an improved one for Ash:

@takashichea: @Sonata: Good to see you guys getting the hang of it.

Saber (Profile Portrait)
Saber (Profile Portrait)

That looks really squished to me, like the aspect ratio wasn't maintained when you resized it. If you used Paint.NET remember to hold the shift key down while resizing, if you used Photoshop you need to click the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" button in the toolbar at the top. The icon is a chain.

Also, isn't that a light novel or manga image? Since she appears in anime, an anime image should be used.

Other than that, keep up the good work guys.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,906 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

This looks very useful! I should try it out on a few pages I know as well.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel