Building a Better Wiki: Franchise Logos!

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Nov. 16, 2013. Last post by Daniel_Newton 7 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,227 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Also check out: Building a Better Wiki: Perfect Profile Portraits!

Hi there, welcome to "Building a Better Wiki", a blog series where I aim to explore different aspects of our giant wiki database to find out how to best utilize them or improve upon them to make sure we're building the best anime and manga wiki on the web!

The main image for franchise pages is typically a manga volume cover or an anime poster. That's okay, but that means there are lots of pages with the same main image in the wiki. Using a logo differentiates franchise pages from anime and manga pages, and it looks nice to boot.

Guidelines

• Dimensions: At least 300 x 300, make sure it's perfectly square (500 x 500, 600 x 600, etc.), this stops automatic cropping used in certain places on the site.
  • Format: PNG is preferred, just make sure you never get close to 10MB in filesize (usually you won't even surpass 1MB) as images that large can cause glitches in image galleries. If an image is too large, shrink it down, 600 x 600 is a good size.
  • Preferred Source (in order): US anime, US manga, JP anime, JP manga (check Wikipedia, official websites, anime title cards, anime DVD covers, and manga volume covers) use a logo that represents the entire franchise e.g. Dragon Ball, not Dragon Ball Z.
  • Do Not Use: Fan art, also try to avoid vector traces, technically that's unofficial (avoid deviantART, that site's full of vectors)
  • Gallery/Caption: In the franchise page image gallery, create a gallery named "Logos" and caption the image "US/JP anime/manga logo - franchise name" for example: "US anime logo - Dragon Ball" or "JP manga logo - Bleach" if a franchise doesn't have a US release or uses the same logos for both, drop the US/JP part at the beginning of the caption.

As for the image itself, using a transparent background is best, but only use it if it's a clean logo from a legitimate source. A plain background, white preferably, is the second best option. If you can't get a plain background, just make sure the logo isn't obscured. Also, leave a small gap between the sides of the logo and the edge of the image. Below are some examples using these guidelines. If you make any logo image, please post them here too!

~Thanks for reading, keep up the good wiki work!

Post by takashichea (12,669 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I'll give it try, but I usually butcher my transparent logos like these. Though, I manage to fix it.

@takashichea: If it's not transparent already and it's not super easy to make it transparent, I wouldn't bother. That's why I said a plain background is fine too. We don't want to damage the logos or anything.

Took care of One Piece:

Source image: FUNimation season 4 voyage 4 cover

Works great for company pages too!

Post by Sonata (35,427 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Good thread I was actually wondering about this awhile back.

@Sonata: Thanks, it's been on my mind for a while so I finally decided to make a post about it.

Three more!

Online Now

Tiny request:

Can you make a Super Sonico franchise logo, Daniel?

Thank you.

Post by bigz007 (1,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20

This looks awesome.

@bigz007: Thanks :)

@takashichea: Done!

Online Now

Sweet! Thanks, Daniel! I got to try making these.

@takashichea: They're easy to make. Usually you can find a good logo on the official anime website or the anime OP sequence or an eyecatch. Here's some more:

New ones:

Online Now

If I had a template box, I could probably do this one. I was like how do I crop in to a perfect square.

Post by bigz007 (1,093 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: It's easy, I can do it for you...

@takashichea: @bigz007: Took care of it. It shouldn't be hard to figure out how to make a square Taka :P

Online Now

@Daniel_Newton:

Thanks, I just haven't got adjusted to Paint.Net and it's tools. I was off center, and I was reselecting. Then, I realize there is was tool to move my selection, so the whole logo looks centered.

Some new ones:

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel