Anime Vice Wiki Style Guide

Topic started by ethan on Jan. 27, 2011. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (12,444 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
What is the appropriate topics that I should put under "Points of Interests" on the episodes.
 I put up "Anime and Manga Differences" and "Censorship" under there. 

I am doing a formula and talking about it on my blog " Developing my own wiki style for episode." My colleagues think I should stick to the style guide and omit the two topics for Points of Interests above.
Feel free to add some criticism.

Edit: The issue has been resolved as of 5-17-11.
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21
I have a question. I was about to edit a page for a manga artist (an actual real live person) and I didn't see a portion for how to do people. Should we follow the formatting for characters more or less or use common sense with standard "Biography" "Works", etc in H2 format. 
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Wales said:
I have a question. I was about to edit a page for a manga artist (an actual real live person) and I didn't see a portion for how to do people. Should we follow the formatting for characters more or less or use common sense with standard "Biography" "Works", etc in H2 format. 
That's a very good question, I have actually wondered about that sometimes myself. There are some pages that are filled out that are decent in the way it could be filled out. 
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff

@fire_star said:

@Wales said:
That's a very good question, I have actually wondered about that sometimes myself. There are some pages that are filled out that are decent in the way it could be filled out.

I'll add it to the guide. We should do the same thing we do on Screened.com

Person Article:

Career

Personal Life

Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@ethan: I see, basic yet certainly better than not having one at all, and easy to attach information to. Thanks, ethan. 
Online Now

I need some feedback on the anime series page for Rave Master and Shaman King.

Looking at FoxxFireArt's wiki style for One Piece.

One Piece

• Overview
  • Directors
  • Plot
  • Characters
  • Story Arcs (brief) contains episode range and maybe seasons
  • Themes (Opening and Ending songs)
  • Censorships

Shaman King

• Overview
  • Characters
  • Anime/Manga Differences
  • Subs vs. Dubs
  • Theme Music
  • Censorships

Rave Master

• Plot Summary
  • Story Arcs
  • Theme Musica

Note: We still editing the anime page, and it needs a character section.

According to the blog,

• Overview
  • Characters

Does that mean everything after characters is optional? I would like to see three permanent things to update the anime series page.

• Overview
  • Characters
  • Themes

It's a simple layout that is easy to achieve. Still I need some feedback on Shaman King and Rave Master.

Online Now

Is there a limit for posting huge images in a character page? It was interesting when I was formatting my friend's page for him, Chaos and Ikaros.

Is there a rule for posting like an image gallery on a character page? See Chaos's page.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@takashichea:

I actually want to redo the character section of the One Piece series. I think the work done on Highschool of the Dead and Black Lagoon franchise pages make a better example.

I've never found a limit for posting large images. The site re-sizes to what is required and there is always the option to see full sized. Though. I don't think you should really use full sized images on character profiles. I only use full sized images for header pictures on series or franchises.

Online Now

@FoxxFireArt:

Do you prefer Japanese translated table of contents or the dub table of contents? I was working on Shaman King volumes and changing the table of contents for each volume. Finally, I realize that the contents are not wrong, but they are the Japanese translation from Wikipedia's list of Shaman King chapters. I have the actual manga for my volume's table of contents.

Which one is right?

Edit: Here is an example, volume 24.

Thanks for helping me on the franchise and anime's layout. I need to fix them.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@takashichea:

I think it's normally preferred to use the official English translation. In that Shaman King example, they basically say the same thing only worded differently.

Sometimes what I do with a series is that I use the official translation of the chapter title using H3, but put the Japanese title below that in bold.

Example: Naruto Vol. 40 HERE

What you found on Wikipedia might of just been someone's interpretation of the English names.

Online Now

@FoxxFireArt:

I'll abandon wikipedia's interpretation since I already changed most of these volumes' table of contents to the official English translation. I will do it your way: Put them (titles) in H3 and add the Japanese characters below them and add the page numbers (if possible).

Thanks.

Online Now

@FoxxFireArt: @ethan:

Is it okay if I put Similarities to other Franchises under Merchandise on the Franchise page.

Example:

I wanted to add some depth to the stuff by relating to other franchises since we wiki editors tend to work sporadically on other wiki pages of different franchises.

May I ask if this can be on the wiki style guide?

Edit: 9-3-2011

Characters Question

My colleagues keep unlinking episode links under the Anime and Manga Differences. Hey Ethan, I need you opinion, so I can convince them that it is okay to link episodes and volumes. I want to show people that I did the work and the right episode/volume by giving them the link.

Linking Anime and Manga
Linking Anime and Manga

Edit: 9-18-2011

Franchises

@FoxxFireArt:

I was cleaning the franchises for Fairy Tail, Beelzebub, Shaman King, and other projects. I was adding soundtracks, overviews, and the anime with manga sections.

I know the format:

1. Overview
  2. Plot
  3. Characters
  4. Manga* (Depends if it came first)
  5. Anime* (Same as manga)
  6. Merchandise

The issues I had to make it consistent. The sections are themes and author's name. I have it like this for Fairy Tail and Shaman King.

1. Overview
  2. Plot
  3. Characters
  4. Manga* (Depends if it came first)
  5. Anime* (Same as manga)
  6. Merchandise
  7. Author
  8. Themes

Another issue I had was that I have added major differences manga and anime and differences between sub and dub. I should decide to move it or delete it since the anime page of Shaman King already has manga and anime differences and the sub vs dub sections.

What do you think I should do?

Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Stupid question about the manga style guide.

While checking out Udon Entertainment's collections of the Silent Mobius manga, I discovered to my surprise that Udon's volumes and Viz's volumes end in different places. How should we address this in manga write-ups?

Online Now

@Count_Zero:

If we're talking about manga page, add the information under Publishing History and Publishers.

Examples what I believe:

Publishers

• Udon Entertainment (Japan)
  • Viz Media (North America)

Publishing History

Udon Entertainment publishes # volumes in tankobon format in date. However, Viz Media publishes # volumes in tankobon format in date.

Something like that.

See the Shaman King manga page that Piface314 had formatted. (I just added story arcs)

@takashichea: That helps, though I was thinking more of volume write-ups.

Online Now

@Count_Zero:

For the volume pages, you have to add all the volumes that was published. I remember some manga series ended because of Tokyopop's licensing ended in North America. (If I remember correctly) Just add as much as you can though.

Unless you're talking about the actual story ending. Forgive me for misunderstanding your point.

@takashichea said:

@Count_Zero:

For the volume pages, you have to add all the volumes that was published. I remember some manga series ended because of Tokyopop's licensing ended in North America. (If I remember correctly) Just add as much as you can though.

Unless you're talking about the actual story ending. Forgive me for misunderstanding your point.

Basically, I mean where the actually story ends. For example, Udon's volume 1 of Silent Mobius ends on Kiddy swearing that she'd be the one to take down the Bioroid that made it so she'd have to become a cyborg. Viz's version ends at the conclusion of that storyline (and chapter), with Kiddy and Ralph bonding and going from rivals to romantic partners.

Online Now

Bump this thread because new wiki editors are still struggling with wiki style guide.

Please ask the mods or experienced wiki editors.

Online Now

I was looking at the franchise and anime series page's character sections for Binbogami ga and Tari Tari. I feel they're a bit redundant so I just mentioned only the main cast for the franchise page to distinguish the pages.

We should tweak the wiki style.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea said:

I was looking at the franchise and anime series page's character sections for Binbogami ga and Tari Tari. I feel they're a bit redundant so I just mentioned only the main cast for the franchise page to distinguish the pages.

We should tweak the wiki style.

I've been thinking about this myself. Having character sections on anime pages and manga pages makes sense, especially with big franchises, but having another character section appear on a franchise page seems really redundant. I think franchises should be an overview of the manga and anime series within it, and the anime and manga pages themselves should dig into plot and characters.

So don't worry, like I said this sort of thing is on my mind and judging by recent conversations I've had with the other mods a few of them think the wiki guidelines need revising, we'll likely discuss it at some point. For now just continue filling in the wiki and making it awesome.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel