Anime Vice Wiki Style Guide

Topic started by ethan on Jan. 27, 2011. Last post by takashichea 1 month, 2 weeks ago.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff

Article Sections

The following are H2 section titles for each type of wiki page. Please maintain the same order and spelling for section titles that you see below. Other applicable H2 section titles are, but not limited to, "Powers and Abilities", "Equipment and Weapons", "Alternate Version" and "Other Media".

Character Article:

Section titles can be omitted if the character does not have any information to fit under it. But try to add these.

Origin

In narrative form please explain the most popular origin story of the character. Do not write a scene-by-scene retelling. This should be a paragraph. BTW, this and the other section titles can be omitted if the character does not have any information to fit under it.

Creation

Write about the artists/writers who created this character, or who had a significant impact on the character.

Character Evolution

How has this character changed over the years? Do NOT write plot summaries depicting the story lines of the characters here. This is a section to talk about the character as it applies to our real world.

Major Story Arcs

This is a place to talk about the important story arcs (or over all story lines) that impact this character. You can write a plot summary of the story here, though we would prefer you to write plot summaries on the Story Arc page. This section should really talk about how all the major story arcs relate to each other, and should not be a retelling of the story arcs. See What is a Plot Summary?

Powers & Abilities

This section is optional and mainly used in shōnen series. Please talk about the character's abilities and array of techniques. Do not include feats, fan calculations, or any details that are not officially stated in the author's notes, manga, or anime mediums.

For anime/manga characters from video games as their source material, you could go over their video game powers and abilities on the wiki page without getting too specific.

Other Media

This section is for talking about a character's appearance in other medias, such as anime movies, if not a part of the main story (i.e. all the non-canon Dragon Ball Z movies). DO NOT just list every movie the character has been in, but talk about the characters role throughout the series of movies. Talk about a characters appearance in video games.

Examples:

Franchise Article

Franchise pages are hub pages to which you can attach movies, anime series and manga series. For example, franchise pages make it easy to find everything about Pokémon in one place.

Overview

What kind of franchise is this? Explain how it relates to it's genre, it's time period, the differences between versions of the anime and manga.

Plot

Give a plot summary of what the series is generally about.

Characters

Write brief descriptions of the characters within the series. Begin with protagonists then work down to the antagonists.

Manga/Anime*

Depending on whether a series had it's beginnings as a manga or anime. You should start with whatever came first. Some series may begin as light-novels, be created into a manga, then into an anime. These should be listed in order of creation.
*In chronological order

Anime/Manga*

Depending on whether a series had it's beginnings as a manga or anime. You should start with whatever came first. Some series may begin as light-novels, be created into a manga, then into an anime. These should be listed in order of creation.
*In chronological order

Merchandise

In this section you can discuss official merchandise based from the series that are unique or interesting. What would classify as merchandise are objects that can not be classified on Anime Vice. (examples: official sound track, toys, figures, video games)

Examples:

Movie Article

Plot Summary

See What is a plot summary before you begin.

Anime Series

Overview

Explain the entire anime series as a whole. Do not write a plot summary. Explain what this anime is about and the major themes.

Characters

Discuss the major characters throughout the entire anime series. Do not just make a list. This section should be in paragraph form.

Episode

Episode pages are sub pages of an Anime Series. You attach an episode to an anime series.

Plot Summary

Here you can write a detailed summary of the events in this episode. Be sure to use links. The more detailed we can make this section, the more streamlined a character's main profile can become.

See What is a plot summary before you begin.

Examples:

Manga Series

Overview

Explain the entire manga series as a whole. Do not write a plot summary. Talk about the author and original publication date if available

Publishers
Create a list of the known international publishers and the region they publish the series in.

Publication History

Talk about the companies that publishes the series, and any notable points in the publications history in Japan and elsewhere.

Alterations
Explain any alterations or localization that was conducted to the original Japanese series for the translations, edits, or censorship.

Characters

Discuss the major characters throughout the entire manga series. Do not just make a list. This section should be in paragraph form. Concentrate on the main cast, prominent villains, and any other major plot characters.

Story Arcs

List the series story arcs, if available; and which volumes they are associated to.

Examples:

Book

Books pages are sub pages of a Manga Series. You attach a book to a manga series.

Plot Summary

Contents

List the table of contents by Chapter Number, the Chapter Title, and Page Number.

(Chapter #) (Chapter Title).....(Pg.#)

Write about the contents of the chapter See What is a plot summary before you begin.

Moves This Volume

Some manga series are famous for their named fighting techniques. If this applies to the manga, a table of what techniques are used in the volume can help the reader who wants to know what volume a character used a certain technique.
Example Table
CharacterTechnique Name
GokuKamehameha
Naruto UzumakiShadow Clone Jutsu
Rasengan
Four-Tail Fox Form
Sage Mode
Monkey D. LuffyGum-Gum Pistol
Gum-Gum Rifle
Gear Second
Jet Bazooka
Ichigo KurosakiFlash Step
Getsuga Tensho
Bankai
Hollowfication

Notes

Write about any special features that appeared in this volume. (Stickers, Cards, DVDs, etc)

Examples:

Location, Concept, Object

Overview

Person Article:

Career

Personal Life

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,642 posts) See mini bio Level 25
This guide is nice, but it's extremely vague on details. I think what we need is an example or template to go by. An example page of each of these we can look to and see how it should be done.

I'd be happy to work with you on setting up a few of these just the way you'd like. I already wrote up on those tasks for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Sacred Blacksmith. I always use the same kind of template when filling out anime series pages.

Also, we haven't been able to link mangas to franchises for a long time.
Post by metalsnakezero (673 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Been thinking about doing this type of style.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:

" This guide is nice, but it's extremely vague on details. I think what we need is an example or template to go by. An example page of each of these we can look to and see how it should be done.

I'd be happy to work with you on setting up a few of these just the way you'd like. I already wrote up on those tasks for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Sacred Blacksmith. I always use the same kind of template when filling out anime series pages.Also, we haven't been able to link mangas to franchises for a long time. "

I'm sure this guide will evolve.  Yes, let's keep a list of articles that are outstanding as far as following the style guide go.  

Also yesterday and today I was/am working on AV bugs.

@metalsnakezero said:

" Been thinking about doing this type of style. "

Awesome!
Staff

Get some BONUS POINTS,  assign yourself to a wiki task
 Get some BONUS POINTS,  assign yourself to a wiki task
@ethan: 
It's just hard to know what the preferred style is when the template is so vague. It might be easier if there was a page of each of these types to use as an example. Hard to make a list when I don't completely know what you're looking for. I know about plot summaries, but there are often a lot more information on series, such as opening/ending themes list.
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@FoxxFireArt: Perhaps something like this? (in rough terms of what is expected) (Click link below)
Ikaros
Post by Mechanical_Ape (84 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@ShadowKnight508:  I think that might be a little too much actually. From what I've been seeing, it seems like they are trying to trim down many of the unnecessary fluff from plot summaries and character descriptions. You might want to check out Ethan's tutorials on ComicVine and Screened. Each will be slightly different than entries on AnimeVice, of course, but his videos are still very useful to see how they want the formatting done and give you an idea of how to proceed.
Staff
I added the H2 headers we want for Character pages too.  It's the same as we do on Comicvine.com. 

The new theme for the Task Queue is going to be character pages, I'm closing all the image captioning tasks. 

Check out Nami for an example of a really well formatted page that follows the Anime Vice style guide.
Staff
Check out  Lucy Heartphilia for an example of writing a "Origin" section for a non-super powered character.  (This page also, at some point, needs a "Creation" and "Character Evolution" section, but it's ok to leave it out until someone writes those sections)
Post by takashichea (12,288 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

This is going to be hard to follow and complete on my alice in the country of hearts' characters. There are no story arcs or character evolution. For the origin and character evolution, I have to go look it up. The only sections I can put in is Personality and Relationships with the main character.

Staff
@takashichea:  

Section titles can be omitted if the character does not have any information to fit under it.  

If you guys have any trouble with how to properly format a character page, check out big brother site Comic VIne's character pages. They've been working on following this new wiki style guide for a month now.
Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@ethan said:
"

Major Story Arcs 

This is a place to talk about the important story arcs (or over all story lines) that impact this character.  You can write a plot summary of the story here, though we would prefer you to write plot summaries on the Story Arc page.  This section should really talk about how all the major story arcs relate to each other, and should not be a retelling of the story arcs.   See What is a Plot Summary?  "

Are we getting this feature?
Staff
@sickVisionz said:
" @ethan said:
"

Major Story Arcs 

This is a place to talk about the important story arcs (or over all story lines) that impact this character.  You can write a plot summary of the story here, though we would prefer you to write plot summaries on the Story Arc page.  This section should really talk about how all the major story arcs relate to each other, and should not be a retelling of the story arcs.   See What is a Plot Summary?  "
 Are we getting this feature? "
No, we're not going to have individual story arc pages here on AV.  
Post by Wales (133 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Let me ask a question when it comes to editting Books. I have formatted a few manga volumes in the way that each chapter gets a paragraph of two synopsis, as opposed to doing it similar to this format. Should I go back and edit the Books to fit the style you guys want, or is it okay to leave it as is (Here is an example of my editting Books -> Soul Eater )
@Wales: 
The guide is mainly just a suggestion to try and uniform the pages. The two to three sentence suggestion about manga chapters is just what we ask minimally. It could be changed to write about the contents of the chapter.

I think it's great the amount of content you wrote on the pages.
Staff
The Task Queue Initiative is "VILLAINS".  So head over to the Wiki Task Queue and pick a villain to improve upon.  MODS, feel free to add more villains.

Post by FLStyle (423 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@ethan: What about voice actors? And other people who have anime jobs who are in the database for that matter? Overview - Anime roles - Other roles?
Staff
@FLStyle said:
" @ethan: What about voice actors? And other people who have anime jobs who are in the database for that matter? Overview - Anime roles - Other roles? "
You mean you'd like to see a week focusing our task queue on them?  We can do that.  Do you think enough people will get into that?
Post by FLStyle (423 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@ethan said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @ethan: What about voice actors? And other people who have anime jobs who are in the database for that matter? Overview - Anime roles - Other roles? "
You mean you'd like to see a week focusing our task queue on them?  We can do that.  Do you think enough people will get into that? "
I just needed a template with which to do voice actor edits but sure. If presented with the voice actors and who they voice I would've hoped quite a few people would be into it. Especially people who do voice work in anime and games, they would be the popular ones.

It is a bit differemt from the other task queues and may prove to be too different but you're welcome to try.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel