Is Ki Magic?

Topic started by Mortein on Jan. 19, 2010. Last post by mypasswordis1234 1 year, 4 months ago.
Post by Mortein (1,558 posts) See mini bio Level 9
So is it?

Master Roshi and Krillin had whole fight scene, conversation, rock paper scissors game, spitting, thinking and krillins fall in 1 second. Normally normal humans were unable to see them, and Roshi didn't even went all out yet.
he was also fast enough to after being shot at, to turn around and catch all 9 bullets or to wave his hand so fast it created a wind so strong it blowed away a 70-80kg heavy superhuman and smashed him into a wall.  

And kid Goku before drinking mystic water was so much faster that Roshi couldn't even see him.

Tien who was as fast as Goku (before water) was unable to touch fat demon, and Goku ( after water ) easily speed blitzed him.

After he drank that mystic water he become faster or as fast as young king Piccolo Doimao, who is incomparably faster then old one.  

But even after drinking water and beating king Piccolo, Goku was still so slow that he couldn't even see mr. Popo. Mr Popo stated how he can move faster then lightning, and he was training goku so he could do the same.

As Popo stated Kami>>>>Mr. Popo, and Goku and Piccolo were fighting so fast kami couldn't even see them
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
No.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
what is your definition of magic?
Post by Mortein (1,558 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@rein said:

" what is your definition of magic? "

What is general definition of magic?
I have found few sources that are telling how ki is/could be magic. 
like:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHL2PSpecI
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqLSyo7znrI 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbxFEgHTQ8&feature=related
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
No. Ki is based of the concept of qi or chi that in turns means the life-force within the human body in Japanese and Chinese culture. It isn't magic. 

ND
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I looked in my Dictionary and Magic is defined as " any act that invokes powers beyond that of normal human beings" 
if that's the case then yes, Ki is magic. 
If you mean Magic like Doc strange or Darsh, i think that it can be considered a form of (natural) magic.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Magic is science so far advanced that we can't explain it. Therefore, the capsules are magic, but we all knew  that.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7

lol no
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
no, even in their inherent concept and equalization they are vastly different
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Newdeath said:
" No. Ki is based of the concept of qi or chi that in turns means the life-force within the human body in Japanese and Chinese culture. It isn't magic."
This.

There are characters in the Dragon Ball franchise who can do magic, it's a totally seperate thing.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Sometimes used to ridiculous levels to exaggerate the human potential and often mistaken with willpower
Post by sergio (84 posts) See mini bio Level 18
is the concept of willpower and traning and after a battle it increases more
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@sergio said:

" is the concept of willpower and traning and after a battle it increases more "

you are talking about the DBZ definition right?

in real life your life energy most oftenly decrease after you fight

and it's not even willpower
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Niko said:
" Magic is science so far advanced that we can't explain it. Therefore, the capsules are magic, but we all knew  that. "
Capsule corp. really is quite magical.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@John_Martone: Something that we wish we have right now
Post by Count_Alucard (209 posts) See mini bio Level 6

It's fighting energy the last I checked.
Post by rpgr (45 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Yes it is. Just a different form/concept.

Eastern Ki/Chi draws energy from within ones own spirit to produce a multiplied results or manipulate natural energies.

Western magic is external, it draws a power from the users spirit to summon spirits.

Even western "magic" has different schools.

In any case both are magic in that the law of conservation of energy/matter is broken to a certain extent. Western magic is more about breaking the laws of conservation of matter while Eastern is about breaking the laws of conservation of energy. This is doubly true when you look at the types of religious beliefs each society favors.

Post by sidetrack (8 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Newdeath said:

No. Ki is based of the concept of qi or chi that in turns means the life-force within the human body in Japanese and Chinese culture. It isn't magic. ND

The way it's depicted to do very extraordinary things though make's it different but it's not quite magic (although I could easily see a character with magic using it to complement magic powers).Personally I would consider the best way to describe ki to be a nigh-ubiquitous biophysical power similar to "the force" in the Star wars franchise.It might be quasi-mystical but then agian aliens who haave no magic have been shown to use it so maybe it's also like a cosmic energy and/or force thing.

Post by MrASSH0LE (2,321 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I thought this definition from the oxford dictionary could help 

Magic:

• the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces: suddenly, as if by magic, the doors start to open
  • mysterious tricks, such as making things disappear and reappear, performed as entertainment: [as modifier]: his parents bought him a magic set for Christmas
  • a quality of being beautiful and delightful in a way that seems remote from daily life: the magic of the theatre
  • informal exceptional skill or talent: he’s been working his magic on New Zealand movies for the past two decades

adjective

• 1 having or apparently having supernatural powers: a magic wand
  • [attributive] very effective in producing the desired results: confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery
2British informal wonderful; exciting: it was a great time, magic
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19

@sidetrack: Perhaps. For example, the Supreme Kai uses magic to create objects from thin air, not ki which is why I do not consider ki magic.

ND

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel