Good God, I Might Watch Dragonball

Topic started by gia on March 2, 2009. Last post by MackGyver 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Okay, so, in the wake of resurging interest in Dragonball thanks to a film I expect few people to like, it was announced that a remastered version of Dragonball Z would air, titled Dragonball Kai. Yawn, I thought, it'll be like the remastered DVD but on TV.

But apparently this is going to be Dragonball Z: the watchable version! Okay, okay, it was watchable before, but seriously, they've cut out so much of the things that stopped me from doing so. First off, they're rerecording all the dialogue, which is interesting...but more importantly, they're cutting out all the filler material. Not only that, they're removing the “time-stretching techniques” (lengthy power-up scenes, for example), and the episode recaps. So they're cutting out all the stupid stuff in favor of giving you Just The Story, which I'm in favor of. (I wonder if they'll do this someday with Naruto?)

Wait, there's more! It'll be completely HD, and even widescreen. How cool is that? FUNimation, I'm sure you're already planning to release this if Toei lets you (how could you resist yet another way to print DBZ money?), but I'm going to offer my recommendation: offer it as a single box set at a budget price. Think of this as a chance to score some of the remaining viewers who haven't watched DBZ: this feels very approachable compared to trying to buy into the whole length of the original show.

Anyone else considering this?

Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
OMG FREAKIGN GOD... IM watching it.
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I wonder how long it will be with all the crap cut out of it. An entire season in under an hour?
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Nice, as much as I love DBZ It annoys me to wait fifteen episodes to watch one fight.
Post by Sonata (35,387 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Everytime I think I'm done with DBZ and about to bury it from my mind entirely, something interesting like this pops up gets me all excited again. I'll give DBZ one final go-around with this:)

P.S. If they did the same to Naruto the episodes would only last 2 minutes!XD......j/k
Post by Acer (5,676 posts) See mini bio Level 11
SWEET I loved DBZ even with the needless fillers and power ups.
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I feel bad for everyone who has been buying FUNi's box sets of DBZ. Once it's towards the end, this is announced. I'd much rather buy this.
Niko said:
"I feel bad for everyone who has been buying FUNi's box sets of DBZ. Once it's towards the end, this is announced. I'd much rather buy this.
"
I was going to buy all the box sets glad I waited nowXD
Niko: Seconded. But I was never tempted to buy those box sets, so...;)
Post by nweasel (27 posts) See mini bio Level 4

Good God, I Might Watch Dragonball.

Oh wait, you already said that.

Good God, I might watch Dragonball (again, even).

You know, it couldn't be said any better!

Post by Calaveras (79 posts) See mini bio Level 1
interesting.....watching something without any of the fillers...interesting.
Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Wow!  Now that would get me to watch DBZ again.
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Here's the TV spot for it.  Of course, I have no idea what is being said.

Post by Calaveras (79 posts) See mini bio Level 1
GMan said:
"Here's the TV spot for it.  Of course, I have no idea what is being said.

"
err....then again, maybe not.
GMan: It's basically just saying "Yo! I'm Goku. We're redoing Dragonball Z. We're calling it Dragonball Kai and it's starting next month!"

Interestingly, the way they say Dragonball Z is doragonbooru zeddo (z => zed). Didn't even think about that, good to know!
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
It kinda looks the same  but i think i`ll go watch it >>
Devilly: well, they're not re-animating it. Just re-voicing it and offering it hi-res (hard to see a difference on YouTube). :)
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
O then i wont watch it at all XD
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
YES! YES! YES! I FEEL GREAT. I CAN DO THIS. I CAN WIN! YES! YES! YES!
Kiriska said:
"YES! YES! YES! I FEEL GREAT. I CAN DO THIS. I CAN WIN! YES! YES! YES!
"
LMAO!!! Classic:D
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel