Dragon Ball Online - I'm Impressed

Topic started by DeviousRobert on Feb. 9, 2010. Last post by hitsusatsu11 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by DeviousRobert (26 posts) See mini bio Level 4
 I've been out of the Dragon Ball loop for quite a while, though I guess that doesn't really mean much considering that the series has been over for well over a decade.  Regardless, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been "into" the series, but I admit here and now that the thought of a Dragon Ball MMO piqued my interest.  With the beta now technically over in Korea (they're still calling it a beta, but the characters are carrying over to live, and they're launched their microtransaction store), I've been able to sink some time into the game over the last few days.  My verdict so far?  It's a winner. 

And I can't in good conscience tell anyone that this game brings anything new to the table as far as the style of game goes.  It's pretty much your standard WoW-templated online experience.  What's so different about it is the Dragon Ball coat of paint thrown over top of it.  The developers have done an excellent job of capturing the feel of the original Dragon Ball series (not Dragon Ball Z, though it does contain elements from that show/manga).  If I had to compare it to another game out there, it'd be The Lord of the Rings Online.  You get to play in the Dragon Ball universe, and you even get to take part in some of the show's more memorable moments via the Time Travel quests.  One example is that early on you have to carry a sleeping Baby Goku from his crashed space pod to his soon-to-be adoptive human grandfather's home.  There's also an encounter with Raditz that I've yet to actually see for myself, and thanks to his apparent obsession with time traveling, you do run into Trunks during these quests. 

The combat looks a lot like what you're used to, but feels a bit different thanks mostly to its fast pace and distinct visual flare.  Your "auto-attack" doesn't happen once every few seconds, your character instead attacking much more frequently, and your special abilities range from harsh, agile physical attacks to a flurry of energy balls.  At level 16 you'll unlock Goku's signature attack, the Kamehameha wave, something I'm personally looking forward to.  There are some other signature moves hanging out on the skill tree, like Yamucha's Wolf Fang Fist, the Kaioken maneuver, Destructo Disk, Instant Transmission, Solar Flare, Final Flash, and yes, even Super Saiyan. 

The only real problem I've had with the game so far is the weight of the characters.  It seems like a nitpick, but while characters *do* move their legs when they walk, they really more just seem to glide along the landscape.  It's not a huge deal or anything, but it can be a little off-putting if you thinking about it for too long. 

You're going to be accepting quests from Namekians, policeman that look like dogs, Majin Buu's offspring, small indian children, and big, burly dudes that look like Chi Chi's dad.  You pick up capsules and Zeny off the ground when monsters die.  You equip new martial arts clothing, upgrade your scouter, and there's some crafting thrown in there somewhere that I haven't quite gotten to yet. 

As it stands, I'm feeling pretty good about this game.  Now only if it would come out in English so I could interact with the community a little more.    
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Interesting. Though, yeah, I for whatever reason doubt anyone will ever bring that cash cow over to the english speaking community.
I look for it to be released in an International version.  Dragon Ball Z still holds onto an astonishing amount of popularity here, despite the dub of GT having come to its conclusion four years ago.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7
hmmmmmmmmmm
Post by Boddington (169 posts) See mini bio Level 9
As long as powering up for an attack takes less time than me eating a sandwich I'm down. Oh, and my Super-Saiyan hair color has to break from the traditional gold and turn argyle instead.
@Boddington: Nah, Super Saiyan hair color is gold and it's the only stage of the three canonical ones avaliable.  I'm sure there will be some outcry that humans are the ones that get the skill, but by the game's storyline, Goku and Vegeta's offspring have, over time, caused all humans to inherit Saiyan genes.  That genetic code is so small, however, that you have to collect the Dragon Balls and wish to become a Super Saiyan.

You can power up starting at around level 5.  All it really does is fill your RP gauge.  Each RP gauge filled allows you to add a buff to one of your attacks.
@Boddington said:
" As long as powering up for an attack takes less time than me eating a sandwich I'm down. Oh, and my Super-Saiyan hair color has to break from the traditional gold and turn argyle instead. "
BWHAHAHAHA. Why did I never think of it before. Its brilliant. Create a MMO where players have near unlimited "potential" for power, and just make their moves take forever to pull off.

Of course, at that point we're not too far removed from the style of games where you just assign a bunch of commands and log off, waiting for them to resolve. Here it'd be

(Log onto DBZ:MMO)
(Select power up Ki)
----
(Select power up attack)
----
(Select blow up the planet)
---
Estimated time till completion: 2 days, 3 hours
(Execute)
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,628 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@John_Martone:  I Almost pissed my pants while laughing... 

Now serious in want to play a Namek.... 
Piccolo is fraggin' Badass...
@Kuma_From_Argentina said:
" @John_Martone:  I Almost pissed my pants while laughing...  Now serious in want to play a Namek.... Piccolo is fraggin' Badass... "
I enjoyed the Namek starting zone from what I played of it.  Lots of weird creatures to fight, and there's plenty to be had just from the fact that dude, you're running around Namek.
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@DeviousRobert said:
"  I'm sure there will be some outcry that humans are the ones that get the skill, but by the game's storyline, Goku and Vegeta's offspring have, over time, caused all humans to inherit Saiyan genes.. "
Goku and Vegeta's offspring have been very, very busy...
@Sigue said:
" @DeviousRobert said:
"  I'm sure there will be some outcry that humans are the ones that get the skill, but by the game's storyline, Goku and Vegeta's offspring have, over time, caused all humans to inherit Saiyan genes.. "
Goku and Vegeta's offspring have been very, very busy... "
You're just jealous you don't have 1/1000th of the Saiyan gene.
Post by RadiantTheLight (733 posts) See mini bio Level 7
how I play this game? TT_TT
Post by Burntlettuce (155 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I would really like to see a English release to this game. I would definitely play it.
Post by ReiKai (3,463 posts) See mini bio Level 9
USA and Europe release is dependent on sales in Korea and Japan. Personally, I think 90% of the US would get it in a heart beat (which is both sad and frightening).  And btw there's a new cinematic for DBO now which makes it look even more epic than ever before. And it includes Super Saiyans and Super Nameks.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,728 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
Meh this looks stupid, a majin race wtf
Post by Kurohige (3,681 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@ReiKai said:
" USA and Europe release is dependent on sales in Korea and Japan. Personally, I think 90% of the US would get it in a heart beat (which is both sad and frightening).  And btw there's a new cinematic for DBO now which makes it look even more epic than ever before. And it includes Super Saiyans and Super Nameks.

"
Damn! That looks nice, too bad in game combat wont be that epic but it is still awesome.
Majin race is explained as Majin Buu's (Fat Buu's) descendants (meaning he had babies *shock*). And yes, that does look epic. It is too bad the actual fighting gameplay isn't like that, but the graphics are still close and there are super-saiyans, even female ones. There's a quest Human Warriors can do around lv50 that unlocks the Super Saiyan transformation.
Online Now
@ReiKai:  Ya thats dumb buu can't have kids, and this game won't have fighting like BT3 it will be like boring fighting like wow, and how can humans become ssj? Its kinda dumb. 
What makes you think Buu can't have kids? He's got organs (Vegeta and Goku's trip blatantly proved that). Also, he can rip pieces from himself that can move on their own and has been broken into hundreds of himself. So who's to say he can replicate? He could even do it the way Nameks do. And btw this is a few centuries after DBZ so the potential is there because a lot of people could be descended from Goku and Vegeta, and that last DBZ movie special Toriyama made showed Vegeta's little brother which proves there are still saiyans in the universe.

Besides you unlock Super Saiyan via Dragon Balls. You make a wish, it gives you SSJ power.
Online Now
@ReiKai: Dragon can't grant power surpassing itself, meaning DKP level, and who the hell would buu have kids with, and even if he could reproduce asexually, then his majin race should be similarly strong, way above human or namekasejin.  
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel