Can most of the movies be dismissed as non-canon?

Topic started by EganTheVile1 on Oct. 24, 2011. Last post by Daniel_Newton 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I recently watched a lot of DBZ movies thanks in part to Nicktoons airing them in between seasons of Kai, it was educational to say the least, as I had seen many of them before but long enough ago that my memory was rusty, and I never bothered trying to put them into continuity with the rest of DBZ until now, and was a bit shocked by the obvious plot-holes and continuity errors.

The un-disputed three that fit:

Bardock: Father of Goku: This one takes place prior to Dragon Ball, can't call it out on continuity errors because it is the beginning of the continuity

The History of Trunks: Serves as a prequel to the Android Saga, it takes place in an alternate reality, one that sets the tone for the android/cell sagas, so it fits.

Cooler's Revenge: The only thing that could be called a continuity error in this is Cooler thinks Goku killed Frieza and King Cold, I'd just cough this up to him being unaware of a time-travelling super-saiyan who actually killed them in Trunks and be done with it, and count this among the ones that fit.

Absolutely dont fit in continuity:

Super Android 13: Let's see how many errors I can pull off the top of my head:

1: This places itself after 17 and 18 were activated, yet Goku is not suffering from the viral heart dissease, which he showed symptoms of during his fight with 19, and was not free of until Cell became a major threat, he is also unaware Gero is dead, odd. So this can not take place prior to the Android saga. since Vegeta is an SSJ and Krillin is not surprised by that, Trunks is around, Goku is not sick, Gero is dead, Gohan is not an SSJ, this one is well... Somewhere around the two minutes before they were aware of Cell? Bad continuity error writers.

A slightly worse offender was Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan, not so much at a glance, but this one would have to take place during the 10 days leading up to the Cell Games given that Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, AND Gohan were all SSJ in this, and since Goku was dead after the Cell saga, I imagine this was written without that end in mind. So for this to work, during the 10 days everyone was busting their asses to train to fight Cell, they just decided to leave Earth and go on an adventure in space. And considering how closely DBZ followed that training, I doubt it.

Anyways just venting my thoughts, feel free to comment, expand, tell me I am wrong, whatever!

Edit: another minor nitpick was with Broly 2nd coming, when Goten recognized the spirit of his father Goku by his voice, there was only one time this movie could have occurred and that was during the time prior to the World Martial Arts tournament where Goten first met his father... Though guess you could just consider that a child knowing the love of a parent regardless of ever actually having met them.

Post by Rabbitearsblog (21 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I actually never considered most of the DBZ movies to be cannon with the DBZ continuity. The only DBZ movies that I considered cannon to the DBZ continuity was "The History of Trunks," since it explained why Trunks had to go back to the past and what his future was like after Goku died and "Bardock: Father of Goku" since it explained what happened to Planet Vegeta. Also, I kind of considered "Dead Zone" to be apart of the DBZ continuity because it had Garlic Jr. in it and Garlic Jr. briefly came on the TV series.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,333 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@EganTheVile1:

Cooler's Revenge: The only thing that could be called a continuity error in this is Cooler thinks Goku killed Frieza and King Cold, I'd just cough this up to him being unaware of a time-travelling super-saiyan who actually killed them in Trunks and be done with it, and count this among the ones that fit.

Also Gohan still have his tail and Goku could turn into a Super Saiyan at will, when he came back to earth

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The specials (to my knowledge) are all canon. The Trunks special, the Bardock special and by extension the recent sequel to the Bardock special. I think the other recent special with Vegeta's younger brother is considered canon too.

Slug, Cooler, Broly, the Super Androids and basically any other major movie is (again, to my knowledge) non-canon. Although Garlic Jnr. appeared in the anime, that was a filler arc and wasn't in the original manga.

Post by MisterShin (2,125 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Bardock Story is canon. Even toriyama consider it canon, since he added scene from it into the manga. 

History of trunks is an anime adaptation of the manga chapter. It cannot be canon because it already is in Manga form :P

Yo Son Goku & Friends is Canon. you did not mention this tho. 

The rest however are non-canon, they are not reference or acknowledged in the manga. Yo Son Goku & Friends is an exception, it takes place after kid buu defeat, but before the end of the manga and was the only movie / special to be written by toriyama i believe. 
Post by DBZ_universe (15,736 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Bardock, and Trunks specials are canon... I can say Bojacks movie is canon too....
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,237 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@MisterShin said:

History of trunks is an anime adaptation of the manga chapter. It cannot be canon because it already is in Manga form :P

What? That doesn't make any sense. Surely the manga version confirms that History of Trunks is canon. By your logic, Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z can't be canon.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel