I can't stand goku's sub voice!

Topic started by rein on Aug. 1, 2010. Last post by DBZ_universe 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
over the past year or so I've gone from a Dub guy to a sub man and I've been re watching all my old anime to hear the difference. Thing is i absolutely can not stand goku's subbed voice. it's like dragging Nails across a chalkboard while your friend skins a cat. Anyone else feel this way or am i in the minority? (i never would have watched DBZ if the voices were like that...)
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Yes and no, I like the English dub more then the Japanese but i don't hate it, I can stand Masako's voice as Goku the original Dragon Ball and also as Gohan and Goten when she does that its not that bad. Also because i can understand that its hard for a female to do a male's voice let alone 5 (not counting)
Post by sickVisionz (4,221 posts) See mini bio Level 24
JPN Goku sounds like someone's grandma.  I like the English one more since being a grandmother doesn't fit his character imo.
Post by apoptosis61 (52 posts) See mini bio Level 6
didnt had any problem :P
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@sickVisionz:  HAHAHAHA Ironically she plays the role of a Grandmother in both Kirarin Revolution and Hamtaro XD
@Kelleth said:
" @sickVisionz:  HAHAHAHA Ironically she plays the role of a Grandmother in both Kirarin Revolution and Hamtaro XD "
I totally forgot about hamtaro. I remember watching it with one of my friends when it was on CN.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,703 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Masako does a very good adult goku and a perfect kid goku. I say she is better than Schemel, but arguably Kirby is better.
@hitsusatsu11: The voice wouldn't have been bad for kid goku, but it seems to kidish for the adult version.
@rein: I thought so to at first, but from watching DB then Z there are slight changes to her voice that fit the character progression. 
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
See, this is what I'm talking about. Goku's screeching twelve-year-old voice is better than his English dub? 
@Kou_Leifoh: Yes, because that is his voice.
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: Yes, because that is his voice. "
I don't think that is a solid reason to believe that the original is automatically better because it's the original. 

I think the English voice is way better than his Japanese.

@Kou_Leifoh: The Japanese is what Goku was intended to sound like, as approved by Akira Toriyama himself. You cannot dispute that this is what he is supposed to sound like. However a matter of personal preference is different, I personally think Masako is the second best (that is my second favorite adult Goku) I slightly prefer Kirby Morrow to her. Though for Kid Goku she is undisputedly better than her Funi, Blue Water, and Ocean counterparts. 
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: The Japanese is what Goku was intended to sound like, as approved by Akira Toriyama himself. You cannot dispute that this is what he is supposed to sound like. However a matter of personal preference is different, I personally think Masako is the second best (that is my second favorite adult Goku) I slightly prefer Kirby Morrow to her. Though for Kid Goku she is undisputedly better than her Funi, Blue Water, and Ocean counterparts.  "
Toriyama? Looks like I'm going to have to disagree with him. . .
@Kou_Leifoh: He created the character, he chooses how he should sound. 
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: He created the character, he chooses how he should sound.  "
Yes but, I find nothing wrong with just disagreeing with the decision. 

@Kou_Leifoh: There is nothing wrong with saying you prefer another voice for the character, as I prefer Kirby. Its just wrong when ppl say "thats not how he should sound".
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: Its just wrong when ppl say "thats not how he should sound". "
It's the same as disagreeing. . .
@Kou_Leifoh: No. Its not. I know Goku should sound like Masako, but I like Kirby's voice a little better. 
@hitsusatsu11 said:
" @Kou_Leifoh: No. Its not. I know Goku should sound like Masako, but I like Kirby's voice a little better.  "
Yes it is. Look, we're just arguing around in circles, I believe that it's the same as disagreeing, and I'm sticking with that.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel