What Was Your First Anime? - - THE VICE PIT

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 28, 2012. Last post by Kuro_San 1 year, 12 months ago.
Post by jj_jackson (116 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Pokemon, dragonaball z, cowboy bebop. oh and for me cowboy bebop was my first experience with different thinking. I was all americanized and the end of bebop i was young and i thought wait can stories end like this?! i thought they were always happy endings. made me love the randomness or unpredictable content that anime offered. When any tv material is enough to get you emotional or thinking alot at the end of it i automatically think it was worthy of watching. Oh i also watched evangelion when i was probably just getting into my teens.

Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I remember Doraemon!!

I actually didn't know that origin story of your relationship... I DO TRUST YOU SAM! (Sometimes.) In my case my introduction to anime was Candy Candy and Digimon: Adventure (a bit later came Moster Rancher and Pokemon).

Post by JiCi (31 posts) See mini bio Level 6

First anime ? My god... let's see: The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Captain Harlock and Nobody's Boy Remi were my first series, and I didn't know it was anime back then. Also, those three were popular in Canada, especially in French.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,985 posts) See mini bio Level 21

The first anime I remember seeing was actually DragonBall Z back when it was airing on a local channel every Saturday alongside the Pokemon series days after I was given my first pack of Pokemon cards.

Post by Supermutant2099 (11 posts) See mini bio Level 5

My first anime? Either Robotech, Transformers G1, Speed Racer, Astro Boy, or Voltron. That was when I was kid. First one I knew was anime? Probably one of the shows on Sci-Fi anime weekend.

Post by Newtype0079 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 5

For me my first experience with anime was sailor moon. But I didn't really start to get into it until I started watching the Sci Fi Channel and saw their special Anime Week, hosted by Apollo Smile. Ah, those were the days, I loved watching that program and since then its changed my life forever! I continued to watch there Saturday anime line-up with such shows as Vampire Hunter D, Armitage, and Demon City Shinjuku, just to name a few.

Post by Chris207 (4 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I grew up watching "Battle of the Planets" before I even knew what Anime was... 

My first forray into Anime knowingly?...Ouran High School Host Club.
Post by isawachuck (25 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The first anime that I ever watched, and this was before I actually knew it was anime, was Star Blazers (Yamato) and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) in the early '80s on Fox 29 and Channel 48 respectively. The first anime films that I ever saw were Akira and Fist of the North Star, which I rented when I worked at Blockbuster in 1993. Ever since then, I have been a collector of all things anime and manga. Hell, I even learned (and still am learning) Japanese because of anime and manga.

Post by samweller999 (69 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

@Daroki: Straight up, Shin Getter Robo is pretty dope. It's fairly adrenaline fueled, and the plot is a bit convoluted, but the animation and the action is extremely faithful to the original and has a huge "widescreen anime" feel to it. Give at least the first episode a shot, if it doesn't ride, let it slide

@animehunter: I'm so happy to hear all these old mecha shows being integral. I guess for a guy my age my first mech experience was through Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (though that is more sentai than anything)

@jj_jackson: Your Cowboy Bebop experience feels similar to how a lot of kids get introduced to different types of storytelling. It usually comes out of nowhere, you always remember your first time, and it's kind of surreal. Not everyone learns about MacGuffins, false endings, and the like through film school :)

Post by Marshal Victory (2,288 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Robotech some time around 1984ish.

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Anime was always around my life since I was little even if I didn't recognize the different from other cartoons. Eventually it was Toonami and Saturday mornings with digimon and dragonball z eventually it got explained on. I first started searching out Manga in middle school where the tokyo pop boom hit in my home town. I only really got into anime however in my freshman year of college when I first moved been eating it up since then.

Post by Kuro_San (1,339 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Saint Seiya

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel