What Was Your First Anime? - - THE VICE PIT

Topic started by No_name_here on Sept. 28, 2012. Last post by Kuro_San 2 years, 1 month ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Post by metalsnakezero (676 posts) See mini bio Level 16

My first anime wasn't Dragonball Z or Saliormoon. It was actually Rurouni Kenshin in subpar subs. Me, my brother, and sister were watching it on VHS.

Post by NoOne_13 (61 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Like most people my age my first anime was Sailor Moon and Pokemon but the first anime I ever watched knowing full well that it was anime was Inuyasha

Post by takashichea (13,821 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I can't remember since back then, we only had mainstream TV.

I think it was Pokemon during 5th grade (11 years ago) when I first watched it on channel 13, UPN. Then, Pokemon started airing on channel 5, Kids WB, on Saturdays.

Once we had cable, Toonami was my gateway to anime even though I didn't know what hell was an anime.

Post by shels (217 posts) See mini bio Level 19

I think we had a similar Thread with this question in the forum not so long ago, anyway my first anime was Future Boy Conan, when it was broadcasted on TV during the early 90's.

Post by Fat_Magnum (2,493 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I guess if I recollect back far enough I would say Pokemon, though my first impulse would be to say Dragonball Z

Post by DBZ_universe (15,755 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Dragon Ball... when I was in 1st grade.... then Dragon Ball Z, and Pokemon...

Post by Dream (8,120 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Iria Zeiram: The Animation, way back in 1994 when anime movies and OVAs would air on occasion on the Sci-Fi Channel.
Post by MarioRedfield (1,917 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, and Digimon were all my firsts

Post by takashichea (13,821 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Dream:

Oh, I remember Iria Zeiram. I first watched it after salvaging a run down video store that was abandoned by foreclosure. Yeah, I'm that poor, but there was VHS tapes I haven't seen and more to sell for Swap Meet.

Anyways, that anime was scary back in middle school. It was bloody, scary because of Zeiram who just slaughters everyone. I think I saw my first anime nudity scene with Iria in the shower scene or was that Tenchi Muyo Forever where he had sex with Haruna.

Post by Dream (8,120 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@takashichea: Yeah, there was a brief shower scene in Iria Zeiram that showed some brief nudity with Iria.
Post by Guyver (3,415 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Guyver, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Speed Racer, Ranma 1/2....those are some of the first, as far as I can remember.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Gundam Wing. I grew up loving Beast Wars, so once I saw that Wing Gundam could transform into a jet, I had to know more. And now I'm a weeaboo. I guess commercials do work.

Post by animehunter (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

My very first anime "about 30 years ago" as I recall was UFO Robo Grendizer, translated into Arabic as I use to live in Lebanon at that the time.

Of course now I watch it and all other anime in its original form, Japanese with English subs. If I understood Japanese, I would watch it without subs.

Edit - Thanks to Sonata, I remembered Maya the Bee was also one I watched all those years ago, also in Arabic, although I didn't know it at the time.

Post by Sonata (35,638 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Maya the Bee was mine back in the day.
Post by zaldar (1,295 posts) See mini bio Level 15

This may explain some things about me don't know but my first one I saw was half of vampire hunter D at 3:00 am when I didn't know what it was (lord was it confusing but awesome at the same time). After that I saw Akira and was like man this is awesome but I wish it made more sense...then I saw the ghost in the shell movie (first one) and fell in love. My first flirtation with the sci-fi idea that a computer could gain intelligence and sentience. After that I was introduced to eva and I was set.

Post by GokaiRed (166 posts) See mini bio Level 7

My first anime...? either Devilman or Street Fighter II The Movie. i was about younger or as young as 7 when I watched them.Ecentually everything else fell into place

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24
The first anime I ever saw period was Saber Rider in kindergarten. The one that I saw and could recognize as anime was probably Pokemon. The one that really turned me on to anime was Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.
Post by Daroki (86 posts) See mini bio Level 9

First anime was Danguard Ace followed by the rest of the stuff in the Force Five block including Star Blazers (which I saw on SyFy a bit ago and... yeah, doesn't hold up well.) As much as I wanted to watch the New Getter Robo I couldn't bring myself to potentially crush childhood memories.

Post by FrozenPeak (28 posts) See mini bio Level 6

inuyahsa was my first anime but never finished it, it just went on and on

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel