Watch & Learn: Death Note Episodes #31 & 32

Topic started by No_name_here on June 28, 2010. Last post by zaldar 4 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

"I&squot;ll make you the goddess of the new world." Hmmm... I should try that line some time.
 "I'll make you the goddess of the new world." Hmmm... I should try that line some time.

Misa’s mind is wiped again? I’d make a joke about nobody noticing the difference, but nah… that’d be too easy. Mello’s speaking for the audience when he says he can’t believe the second Kira could be this stupid girl. Then again, she agrees with me about Aizawa’s ‘fro, so she can’t be totally dumb. I might pity her now that Light’s cheating with this Takada chick… but she’s so hopeless, she’s really beyond pity.  As with Light’s breakdown at his Dad’s deathbed, I can’t say whether he genuinely misses Takada or if it’s just another ploy. Given his track record, I’ll say it’s most likely the latter.

So THIS is who the guy in the new opener is.
 So THIS is who the guy in the new opener is.

There’s a fourth Kira, now? Sheesh.  Anybody who think this isn’t a horror story needs to think twice, because the notion of some twitchy freak like Mikami suddenly getting kill anybody he thinks is lazy is terrifying. The guy even killed his own mother for telling him to mellow out!  His appearance also makes me wonder if it’s ever going to be possible to stop Kira. Even if they stop Light, the death note will just keep falling into somebody’s else’s hands and they can’t even destroy the thing (that’s one of the rules, right?) This could go on forever.

Near’s escape was pretty clever. Maybe I should comment about this commentary on human nature, with this rabble getting so swayed by money, but I just find it amusing that they could have just easily been placated by funny money. I find it doubly amusing how Light’s dilemma with L was having a face but not a name, while his dilemma with Near is having his name but not his face. That's ironic inversion for you! And I’m triply amused by the black comedy inherent in how every new host of Kira’s Kingdom gets gacked just as soon as he steps up on TV. Makes me wonder if Japan has its own equivalent of televangelists.

Anyway, watch these episodes, "Transfer" and "Selection" on Hulu, here and here, and read my comments on the previous episodes here.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABL for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Post by zaldar (1,236 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Ah first!  And yes from here on out it does start to show how it can definitely be a BAD THING that people have the death note power.  Still really haven't you ever wanted to kill people you thought were lazy and never going to change?  I'm a pretty big capitalist, and lord knows I have seen some scum that are only out for cheating the system...

I won't comment on the ability to end things completely but what you think of the ending I will definitely be interested to hear.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
The forces that will overcome fear is greed every time when it comes to the masses. It the same reason why when a bounty wont illicit tips. They always raise the price on someone's head. Eventually, you are going to reach a point where the price becomes too big for someone to turn down.

Just because there is another user of the Death Note hardly means Light can't get caught. The more moving parts a machine has also means the more likely things can go wrong.

The question I find surprising. How is it that Light was so confident that he had Takeda's "current" cell number? Years later, do you have the cell number of a girl you casually dated in college?

Probably the only thing I've ever agreed with Light about is Misa's intellect or lack there of. I really don't think I could get involved with a woman who was so ditsy. I remember I once saw a rather lovely woman while I was out. I was quite taken with her, but then I heard her talk. "Valley Girl" speech is better then a cold shower. I kept thinking, "How many times can a person use the word "like" within a single sentence.".
I prefer intelligent women who impress me.
Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24
@FoxxFireArt said:

" The question I find surprising. How is it that Light was so confident that he had Takeda's "current" cell number? Years later, do you have the cell number of a girl you casually dated in college? "

The question I find surprising is that Light calls up an intelligent and famous female that he hasn't seen in years and basically says, "Hey, remember me?"  Want to goto a hotel and get it on?"  And the response, "Do I ?!?!?  Name the time and place!!" 

I'd love to sit the writer in a room with a feminist and hear his thoughts on women and their position in the world/society.  No matter their intelligence, every woman in the series is reduced down to some a being who can't help but be mentally dominated by men and follow them with total allegiance and submission.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@sickVisionz:  I agree. Even the female agent that worked for Near was infatuated with Mello a little more than normal. She was okay as a female character though.

It was hard for me to believe Light was really broken over his father's death. He was much more concerned with getting Mello's name than his father, and Light has lost any semblance of a compassionate character.

The scene with the money was funny to me. I shows just how weak people are and that a lot of people are just followers looking for something to excite them. The money easily washed away the demands of Kira to take down Near's group.

I was also disappointed at the appearance of Mikami's character. Once again, I felt that I would do the same thing in being a prosecutor, and if given a Death Note I would probably want to write some bad people's names (at least from my perspective) in the book. Mikami was quickly realized to be just as flawed, if not more flawed than Light though. 

I dunno if Ohba was just trying to make it convenient to the plot, but the only characters that did not act negatively with the Death Note were the police force. Everyone else that touched it (Light, Misa, Mikami, Higuchi) killed for negative reasons. I would have loved to see a character who had good intentions come into the series and fight against Kira with a Death Note. Although, that probably would have stretched the series far too thin considering everything else that was going on.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Gasero said:
" @sickVisionz:  I agree. Even the female agent that worked for Near was infatuated with Mello a little more than normal. She was okay as a female character though.  It was hard for me to believe Light was really broken over his father's death. He was much more concerned with getting Mello's name than his father, and Light has lost any semblance of a compassionate character.  The scene with the money was funny to me. I shows just how weak people are and that a lot of people are just followers looking for something to excite them. The money easily washed away the demands of Kira to take down Near's group.  I was also disappointed at the appearance of Mikami's character. Once again, I felt that I would do the same thing in being a prosecutor, and if given a Death Note I would probably want to write some bad people's names (at least from my perspective) in the book. Mikami was quickly realized to be just as flawed, if not more flawed than Light though.   I dunno if Ohba was just trying to make it convenient to the plot, but the only characters that did not act negatively with the Death Note were the police force. Everyone else that touched it (Light, Misa, Mikami, Higuchi) killed for negative reasons. I would have loved to see a character who had good intentions come into the series and fight against Kira with a Death Note. Although, that probably would have stretched the series far too thin considering everything else that was going on. "
Um. Light has good intentions. Make the world a better place. Only his vision of a better place is the ultimate Nazi state. Do something wrong, or oppose Kira, and instant death is assured. 
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Ahhhh Death Note, you make people question their morals then flip everything on it's head. XD

As far as talking about the females int his anime, what about the females in ALL anime, most of them are really bad, or have someone to save them constantly except Motoko Now that was a woman I can get behind. Appleseed comes to mind as well... but I like Motoko better.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@AnimeAlex: 

Um. Light has good intentions. Make the world a better place. Only his vision of a better place is the ultimate Nazi state. Do something wrong, or oppose Kira, and instant death is assured.   

I would consider a "peaceful" world mixed with "Nazi" ideology to be of negative intentions. Personally I think the only way the Death Note should be used is to kill those that commit serious crimes beyond reasonable doubt. Light seemed to be writing the names of anyone that had a court date (that includes parking tickets). People's perspective and opinion on this type of issue widely differ.
@AnimeAlex said:
"
Um. Light has good intentions. Make the world a better place. Only his vision of a better place is the ultimate Nazi state. Do something wrong, or oppose Kira, and instant death is assured.  "
I don't think Light's intentions are good.  The whole make the world a better place is just a means to an end.  In the first or second episode he lays out his plan and he ends it with a line that's something like, "A new world will be made and I shall be the god of this world." 

He's driven by a god complex.  He kills criminals because he wants to be a god that's loved and murder is the only tool he has to accomplish that goal.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@sickVisionz:
So you would agree that the Death Note corrupted Light? I feel Light had good intentions to begin with as well and I'll sit here in my own corner rooting for Light all the way. By means to an end are you meaning for Light to be the god of the world? I would have to say Light definitely uses people as a means to an end but I'll also refer to Kant's catagorical imperative (I'm applying philosophy and ethics) pertaining to Light's acts of treating the humanity in himself and others as not just a means to an end but as ends in themselves. 

Mikami did not kill his mother Tom. He just kinda wished it would happen so she wouldn't frown upon his actions (and I thought today's kids were pieces of shit). But what Mikami wants to do and stands for I like. He is a likeable guy I'd say and his "Delete." tagline is awesome and perfect (it's cool watching the special features where the voice actor gets into one of those parts). These women are pretty weak willed and I find it funny. Misa still has some surprises though.
Staff
@zaldar:  Put cheaters in their place? Sure, I think about that a lot. Snuffing them out with a death note is might extreme though.
@Tom_Pinchuk:  well yes, but their are times when I want to do just that *shrug* but then I'm pretty much a tea party member so I'm probably way more conservative than most of the people here.

Yes light has a god complex pretty early but even with a god complex his intentions were to prevent crime and do remember that we find out crime IS down under his rule.  End justify the means??  Maybe..
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@zaldar said:
" @Tom_Pinchuk:  well yes, but their are times when I want to do just that *shrug* but then I'm pretty much a tea party member so I'm probably way more conservative than most of the people here.  Yes light has a god complex pretty early but even with a god complex his intentions were to prevent crime and do remember that we find out crime IS down under his rule.  End justify the means??  Maybe.. "
The ends didn't justify the death of poor Naomi Whatshername.
@sotyfan16: I don't think it corrupted him since he acted that way as soon as he got it.  I'd say it enabled him to do what he always wanted to do.  I root for Light as well, not because I think his intentions are good, but because he's the most interesting character in the show and I usually like bad guys way more than good guys.  Him becoming a god was his intention.  Making the world a better place was just a side effect imo.  If he didn't get all of the publicity and people worshiping the name of Kira, he probably would have quit early on.
Staff
@sickVisionz: Heh... I guess he's just that smooth.

In regard to feminist concerns... I don't know, the cat burglar and the blond lady on the SPK seemed pretty assertive. I suppose you could make an argument about all the men in the show (not just Matsuda) being too stupid to realize that they're working with the same serial killer they're tracking,and for years on end.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt:  I do like the theme they've stressed that Light's the only "pro" when it comes to using the Death Note. Misa's too careless, Yotsuba's too transparent and this new guy's just as likely to fly off the handle.
@Tom_Pinchuk: 
True, but you have to admire a man who can make writing a name down look so flashy.

@sotyfan16 said:

" @sickVisionz:
So you would agree that the Death Note corrupted Light? I feel Light had good intentions to begin with as well and I'll sit here in my own corner rooting for Light all the way.  "

I'm always aghast when people excuse terrible behavior because the person has "the best intentions". Another name for this kind of behavior is called genocide.
When one person devalues another life and believes they are making the world a better place by removing the "filth" to make the world clean. 
In gang wars. There could be a drive by where someone wants revenge for the murder of his brother. Sure, he might kill the person who killed his brother, but in the crossfire the shooter hit a 3 year old girl. The shooter had the best intentions, and by the standard people apply to Light. That girl was the price of "justice".

Often times the best intentions leads to the worst actions in history. Intentions don't excuse behavior.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@FoxxFireArt:
Indeed intentions do not give reason or value. It then deals with whether the person can deal with the consequences of the action(s). People are predictable and yet unpredictable. I find myself now relating this to The Watchmen but Light in no way plans to be ostricized.

@sotyfan16: 
@AnimeAlex said:
" @zaldar said:
" @Tom_Pinchuk:  well yes, but their are times when I want to do just that *shrug* but then I'm pretty much a tea party member so I'm probably way more conservative than most of the people here.  Yes light has a god complex pretty early but even with a god complex his intentions were to prevent crime and do remember that we find out crime IS down under his rule.  End justify the means??  Maybe.. "
The ends didn't justify the death of poor Naomi Whatshername. "
very true and that was where we started down the slippery slope of how the power corrupted him.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel