Watch & Learn: Death Note Episode #8

Topic started by No_name_here on June 1, 2010. Last post by nate1222 4 years, 4 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

He seems just as quirky in this splash I found from the manga.
 He seems just as quirky in this splash I found from the manga.

They’re really playing up L’s quirkiness, aren’t they? Tight-shots on his fidgety (and probably smelly) feet, close-up of him playing with his own lip and more than a few beats devoted to him lapping up his green tea ice cream cones? This is one eccentric weirdo we’ve got here. And that makes him much more interesting thing than your average master detective, doesn't it?  I’ve been told that there were live-action adaptations of the manga that preceded this anime series, so I'm kind of curious now... how closely does L’s portrayal there resembles this one? Did the actor scale back on the ticks? Or he play them up even more?

Maybe it’s a bit cliché to comment on how the protagonist and antagonist mirror eachother in stories like this… but it’s still worth commenting on for DEATH NOTE. Naomi even says that Light reminds her of L before he kills her! To be sure, they’re both cunning geniuses, but I’m more struck by how young L appears to be, now that he’s been fully revealed like this. He keeps harping on how Light’s behavior is typical for a 17-year-old, yet I get the impression that he’s only a few years past 17, himself. I suspect that that isn’t an accident and I’m sure there’s going to be more to that "coincidence" as the series goes along.

This twist of Ryuk’s addiction to apples almost feels like a cheat, by the way.  It’s just such a convenient way for Light to take care of the surveillance system.  It really isn’t a cheat, though. The writers paid their dues in planting the seeds for it (pun intended.) Ryuk has been gobbling those things since the very beginning, and they’ve made a point to stress that Shinigami aren’t invincible. In a lot of ways, they’re like stooges from a higher plane, so it figures that this, of all things, would be their weakness,.

You DEATH NOTE guys get a pass on this one!

Watch this episode, “Glare” on Hulu here and decide for yourself. My thoughts on the last episode are here, as well.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Post by FekketCantenel (47 posts) See mini bio Level 5
From what I remember of the first live-action movie (which was . . . alright), the actor, while a dead ringer for L, played down the cartoonish tics. I figured that this was because, if you had an actor doing it, it would look clownish and unrealistic, even annoying.
Post by Contra (28 posts) See mini bio Level 9
My only issue with the live action one is that they played down his tics etc to such a degree, that the attactiveness of the actor would overshaddow his creapiness.   They a few times go out of theiy way to show him scratching himself with his feet and so on.  But it's token, and comical.

So he was now a person to be pulled out of his shell, and socailly careless; not a mad detective with a sweet tooth who can't relate to most people.

Though they did a better job with this in the later stuff they did. 
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,644 posts) See mini bio Level 25
There are some similarities of L's appearance and personality to another Japanese fictional detective character. The name escapes me at the moment. He had kind of poor hygiene and was always scratching.

I actually liked the idea of the shinigami's addiction to apples. It made the use of the forbidden fruit idea feel less heavy handed and had a purpose there.
I'm almost surprised that Ryuk helped Light find the cameras, but I suspect that it was because they were ruining his fun.

What I found silly was the idea that Light could hide a mini TV in a bag of snacks and it go unnoticed. TV's generate light. The inside of many snack bags are reflective. Inside such a small bag. The light would of been clearly noticeable.

Would it sound weird that I tend to sit like L in seats long before I ever watched this series? Though, only when at my computer.

I do believe I should add. I do appreciate the music lyric puns you are using on the front pages for these articles. Man Eater, Private Eyes. Really funny stuff.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Watching the english dub version of this episode one would find one of the best lines in Death Note as Light passionately exclaims, "I'll take a chip...and eat it!"
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Gasero said:
" Watching the english dub version of this episode one would find one of the best lines in Death Note as Light passionately exclaims, "I'll take a chip...and eat it!" "
would have been more awesome if he had dip.
Post by nate1222 (17 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@Catolf said:
" @Gasero said:
" Watching the english dub version of this episode one would find one of the best lines in Death Note as Light passionately exclaims, "I'll take a chip...and eat it!" "
would have been more awesome if he had dip. "

Ditto. L is my hero, but Light has his moments. Ryuk is pure comic genius, though. I could hang out with Ryuk! HAHAHA!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel