Watch & Learn: Death Note Episode #33-34

Topic started by No_name_here on June 28, 2010. Last post by Catolf 4 years, 1 month ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Will this guy be the "killa" of Kira?
 Will this guy be the "killa" of Kira?

Prediction:   Light and Misa are going to die at the hands (pens?) of their respective Kira counterparts (kounterparts?), Mikami and Takada. It just seems like that’s the set-up this show's going for, harping on the dangers of trusting the death note with anybody but yourself. As for Mikami… I can just see a scene where Light doesn’t match up to his exact conception of justice and him not taking it it well. Then again, he's got a fake death note, now, so he could just be getting set-up as the fall guy. With Misa, she's already got this really catty rivalry with Takada. Did anybody else see that ridiculous dinner scene as a bizarre parody of L and Light’s dialogues? It was like Misa was trying to be sly, but she was woefully under-qualified for such verbal gymnastics.

And speaking of stupid… I’ve concluded that Matsuda must’ve been somebody’s nephew. That’s the only way he could've got on the force. Though, I’m still highly amused by his hooting and hollering over Light’s little meetings with Takada.  I can't say I've ever seen a wiretap session play out like an episode of MAURY. And while we’re on pop culture, how bizarre is it that Takada’s hosting that East/West pop concert? Television personality AND herald of death… that’d be like, I don’t know, Brooke Burke also happening to be a priestess of the Cult of Kali.

Eyyyy... it's one dem shiny-gahmees.
 Eyyyy... it's one dem shiny-gahmees.

Some scatter-shot observations….

• Near’s just got his fingers wrapped around the Hamburglar, doesn’t he? And, by that, I mean he’s closing in on Kira like a vise. All he needs to do at this point is disprove the fake 13 day rule, right?
  • Another prediction:  the Eiffel tower going to factor into the climax somehow. Unless there’s another building that looks just like it in Japan. They just keep harping on it. Near’s building a model of it (with glue sticks!), there’s that symbolic scene of him and Light rising up through it on an elevator. It seems like that’s what they’re going for.
  • Okay… just how well thought-out is that the SPK’s double agent’s cover? Takada’s got three manly lady Karate champions, and then there's this one American blond. It’s like those SESAME STREET skits. “One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn’t belong…”
  • And speaking of the task force. Sheesh… they’re just coming out of the wood work, aren’t they?   This gets back to what I was saying earlier about Kira’s opponents seeming to only be limited by the number of bodies. I probably only remember Gevanni because he’s got such a peculiar name.
  • Also, I can't believe I didn't comment on this for the actual episode, but that part where Mello's mob associates first see Sidoh and are like, "Ey yo... it's one of dem shiny-gahmees" was unintentionally hysterical.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
interesting guesses

has mello come back yet?
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
It's interesting reading how you think the series will play out because I already know the ending. I try to enjoy series like this by NOT thinking about the way things will play out because then I tend to enjoy it more without preconceived notions of how I want things to play out.

I'll admit that I was definitely routing for Mikami or Misa to do something unexpected at the end though.

And yes, Matsuda is still mostly useless.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Gasero said:

" It's interesting reading how you think the series will play out because I already know the ending. I try to enjoy series like this by NOT thinking about the way things will play out because then I tend to enjoy it more without preconceived notions of how I want things to play out.  I'll admit that I was definitely routing for Mikami or Misa to do something unexpected at the end though.  And yes, Matsuda is still mostly useless. "

Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I remember hoping that at the very end, that female agent who Light set up to commit suicide would have somehow avoided death (you never see or hear about her dying after all) and would return at a pivotal moment to f*ck up Lights plans.
@AnimeAlex: Woah...put a spoiler tag on that! 

and like I said before...
Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I can't wait to see Tom's next few articles. 
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Tokyo Tower
 Tokyo Tower
There is a tower in Japan. It's called Tokyo Tower. It's an icon of the country, and it's knocked down in just about every Japanese monster movie.

Halle Bullook is nice, but she's still no Weddy.

That was quite the catty moment between two girls over a psychopath. It says something about Takada as well. She know the kind of person Misa is. The only funny thing about it is that they are both as pathetic as the other that they believe that Light cares about either of them. The are tools to him. Not people.

Funny thing is in Episode 33 & 34. I knew exactly what was happening and I had a very good idea how this was going to end. I'm not going to tell what I believed would happen as result of this. The clue was the fact that Mikami used his cell phone to take a picture before he wrote the name down.
It's the problem of having an ameteur try and play the part of someone trying to be clever. Even the schedule he keeps at the gym is a blatant clue.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@RockmanBionics:
Yes they do. L is informed of her death and the it further confirmed for him that one of the people her husband was trailing was Kira. 

Things have gotten really dicey. Pretty sad that Light got made from writing notes. Doesn't seem right that Near's thoughts are correct the very first time he thinks or analyzes possibilities. There is still a lot to come in the final 3 eps.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I kinda hate the character Near. He's a snobby little kid and the way he discovered Mikami was just too fast for my liking.
I agree with other people's sentiments. Near's thought process is too fast and accurate. I know he is supposed to be a genius and all, but c'mon. Of course, there is always the "this is a supernatural, fictional world with Death Notes" excuse that one can fall back on. Near's character is fictional and is permitted to be beyond typical reasoning. 

Sherlock Holmes may analyze things fast, but he typically explains all of his reason and it becomes relevant and sorta obvious afterwords.
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15
It will become more obvious in the last three episodes but come on when has one of lights plans been obvious?  I'm STILL trying to figure out how that whole forget the death note then remember it thing worked from before...
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@sotyfan16 said:
" @RockmanBionics: Pretty sad that Light got made from writing notes. Doesn't seem right that Near's thoughts are correct the very first time he thinks or analyzes possibilities. There is still a lot to come in the final 3 eps. "
That's classic detective work right there. Human's make mistakes. Humans who think they are gods make even more mistakes.

@AnimeAlex said:
" I kinda hate the character Near. He's a snobby little kid and the way he discovered Mikami was just too fast for my liking. "
And Light is a yuppie mass murder of the innocent. I'll take snobby kid over that.

Near is a detective and a good one. For most of this. He's not sure how much he's correct.

@Gasero said:
" Sherlock Holmes may analyze things fast, but he typically explains all of his reason and it becomes relevant and sorta obvious afterwords. "
As an avid reader of Sherlock Holmes novels. That's a farce normally added to movies, because audiences need information quickly.
More often Sherlock Holmes would know the answer to things long before he ever actually explained himself. Sometimes, Sherlock wouldn't explain things until the very end.

Also, Near has a thought process. He's just not explaining it to the audience. It isn't that kind of series. I see how Near gets to where he is. He's been groomed his entire life to be a detective of the highest order. It's only natural he would come to certain conclusions quickly.
@FoxxFireArt: 
I'm not saying that Near doesn't have a thought process. I'm just saying that he is often always right and since there isn't a lot of time for the anime/manga to stop the plot and let the audience know how he arrived at his answers, Near's analytical skills seem exaggerated even for the most learned of detectives, especially in the case of supernatural death books.

I have also read much of Sherlock Holmes (never seen the movies). It is often in the text that Sherlock plays games with Watson about being analytical and he explains himself right after telling Watson why he said what he said. He does it with some of his other guests as well, but I can't think of anything specific at the moment.
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Dont ever go see the most recent movie Gasero..as one who ones all the written words of holmes I wanted to shoot everyone involved with the movie after watching it...
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
ohhhh getting down to the wire!!!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel