Watch & Learn: Death Note Episode #26

Topic started by No_name_here on June 23, 2010. Last post by No_name_here 4 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Who are you two?
 Who are you two?

Are clip shows a standard for maxi-series like this? I remember the one in EVA being pretty infamous - - a lot of you were actually warning me about it ahead of time.  I thought that ended up being a clever approach to what obviously started as a time-saver' making the clips seems like slides from a Seele panel review and all. Similarly, this felt like a video obituary for L.

I’m still holding out hoping that L isn’t really dead, but three years is too long of a time to be laying low. If he’s gone for sure, I’m still waiting for there to be at least more to the circumstances surrounding his death. What was he coming in to talk to Watari about? Why was it necessary to destroy all the evidence in the event of his death? Wouldn’t he want the investigation to continue? Was he just trying to protect his identity? And just what was up with those bells?

Did L split in half when he died or something?
 Did L split in half when he died or something?

Getting back to the three year gap - - that was a pretty startling jump, wasn’t it? Light offs L’s criminal allies, then the Yotsuba board, people start worshiping Kira and then he’s already graduated and working in the police force. Actually, it  really isn't that startling given how this show’s approached pacing this whole time. DEATH NOTE’s never played it safe - - its taking this premise as far as it can go.

Although, you’d think this task force would’ve lost their minds after three years of fruitless investigation.

Irony of ironies, Kira becomes the new L.  Well, they’ve certainly kept harping on their similarities enough times up until this point. The real irony is that the amnesiac Light was probably pretty close to L, anyway. And wait - - Light becomes Kira, but now we’ve got... clones of L too? We’ve seen these kids before… who could they be? Is that orphanage a training ground for master detectives and L’s just a mantle its graduates assume?  

Oh man, so many questions and it’s all so frustrating.  It’s been a long time since I’ve been so frustrated by show… and I think that’s actually a good thing!

You can watch this episode, “Renewal,” for yourself on Hulu here, and read my comments about the previous episode here

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Post by OnlyWonderBoy (16 posts) See mini bio Level 4
This is definitely the turning point of the show. Although whimsical in nature, the story was much more grounded in reality up until this point. The story starts to get really absurd from here on. If there's any point where the series "jumps the shark", this is it. I wouldn't say it's bad, just different. 

As far as the two boys go, Near is no L but a decent replacement. Mello on the other hand...well he's something else for sure.
Post by sickVisionz (4,220 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Mello is one of my faves after L and Light.  He'd be my #2 if he he didn't get shafted for screentime.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I heard that the show was supposed to end at ep.25, but the big heads demanded more anime episodes because of the shows popularity. Unfortunately the 2 new future L's are no where near L. This is also where the show starts going downhill. I almost wish that Rem killed Light shortly after L's death in 25, so L would see Light's evil grim, but have Light die shortly after, with L knowing that he was indeed Kira, and that he got betrayed. 
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
i wouldn't go so far to say that the show just jumped the shark, its more like it took a dive, its still a pretty good show, just not as good as the first episodes

and FYI, near SUCKS, mello is AWESOME
Post by sotyfan16 (1,340 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Near and Mello annoy the hell out of me. But with Kira taking the helm once again for 3 solid years and the world see's him as the ultimate authority, one could agree that it's better than an extreme terror group or something taking over, no? Indeed the world (and the series) becomes duller but there are still some interesting moments. Some good plans still to be put in motion.

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I can always tell when you are intrigued by something, Tom. The amount you write on an episode normally expands by a factor of two.

I wouldn't want to ruin anything about that count down and those kids you see. I'll just put it to you like this. I'm quite sure you have heard of a dead man's switch, right?

More reasons to hate Light. He murdered Weddy. A beautiful, intellegent woman who rides a motorcycle. That's a tragic loss to the world. 

I would of thought that the Task Force would be a bit suspicious that only L's allies were killed while they are still alive.

This episode brought up an interesting question. It made me think of what would happen to the Joker if Batman actually did die. I'm sure he'd love it for a little while, but I think he'd quickly hate it.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
This episode is the perfect companion to the Batman analogy some of you guys kept throwing around for L. Batman has had several proteges under his wing (pun intended), and even in the Batman story arc it was obvious to his proteges that someone would have to take over. It just felt like in Death Note it came out of no where.  

@OnlyWonderBoy:

The absudity of these episodes felt natural to me. Knowledge of the Death Notes was held by enough people for things to start getting crazy.
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@AnimeAlex said:
" I heard that the show was supposed to end at ep.25, but the big heads demanded more anime episodes because of the shows popularity. Unfortunately the 2 new future L's are no where near L. This is also where the show starts going downhill. I almost wish that Rem killed Light shortly after L's death in 25, so L would see Light's evil grim, but have Light die shortly after, with L knowing that he was indeed Kira, and that he got betrayed.  "
How do you figure? The manga was pretty much finished when the show began..

@FoxxFireArt said: 
More reasons to hate Light. He murdered Weddy. A beautiful, intellegent woman who rides a motorcycle. That's a tragic loss to the world.   I would of thought that the Task Force would be a bit suspicious that only L's allies were killed while they are still alive.  This episode brought up an interesting question. It made me think of what would happen to the Joker if Batman actually did die. I'm sure he'd love it for a little while, but I think he'd quickly hate it. "

I agree with you about the batman thing, Joker would get bored, he need's bats, just like Light needed L, a worthy opponent.

Also... the world can get along just fine without Weddy... Now L that was a loss.
@Catolf said:
"  Also... the world can get along just fine without Weddy... Now L that was a loss. "
You have no sense of romance. She's hot and rides a 'motorcycle'. A motorcycle! lol

At least there is still Halle Lidner.
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @Catolf said:
"  Also... the world can get along just fine without Weddy... Now L that was a loss. "
You have no sense of romance. She's hot and rides a 'motorcycle'. A motorcycle! lol  At least there is still Halle Lidner. "
XD! with sunsets and wind blow hair... and... Fabio! lol
@Catolf said:
" XD! with sunsets and wind blow hair... and... Fabio! lol "
Replace Fabio with Robin Nico, and that sounds like a dream date to me.
@FoxxFireArt:  Then we shall replace him!

For me I'd have to tip my hat to The count, or... even Fang, now those are dates!

Just.. wow to Fang..
Post by VaizD (2 posts) See mini bio Level 1
 Not to get all Comic Vine up in here, but for those making the Batman analogy, there actually is a comic called Going Sane (I believe!) where the Joker believes Batman to be dead and entirely retires his Joker identity. Turns into a regular old dude.

On topic, my caring for this series directly correlates with L's involvement, and only began to steadily rise again the the last few episodes. Speaking of which, I can't wait to see your reactions to how this all ties up.
Post by agila61 (87 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Yes, shows that proceed for multiple seasons and build an audience as they go often feature a clip show at the start of a new season to bring the new viewers up to date. Though when as show has an excessive number of clip shows, like Wolf's Rain, one suspects budgetary reasons as well.
Post by zaldar (1,221 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I remember it getting ok again after this episode but I will be interested in seeing your responses.  I liked the kids near wasn't L but he was definitely closer than mellow in my book.
Staff
@OnlyWonderBoy: It's been kind of bi-polar about realism up until this point. You'll have big stretches that are really close-to-Earth suspenseful, and then the Shinigami will show up.

Mello? That's really his name.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt:  Heh... there definitely is a direct relationship between length and interest (wait, that didn't sound right.)
Staff
@Gasero: I'm still waiting for more explanations about L's origins. Or, at least, a little more about his death.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel