Watch & Learn: Death Note #12

Topic started by No_name_here on June 6, 2010. Last post by FoxxFireArt 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
   This screenshot might actually look a little sketchy out of context.
 This screenshot might actually look a little sketchy out of context.

Ha! I’m going to have vacillate again on the whole goth thing with this show, once again, because Misa’s whole room’s just a shrine to the cute and ghoulish.

I commented before that I appreciated this series’ freeness regarding suspensions of disbelief, but even I have to say that the stack of coincidences is piling up just a little too high with this episode. This girl’s saved by a Shinigami, too? She just happens to be going to the same school as both L and Light , out of all the places in Japan (let alone the world), AND she has her own Death Note? That’s pushing it a little.

On that (death) note, I’ll be honest and say that the revelation that the Shinigami’s death knell is love runs a bit cheesy. Although, it is fitting that gods of death are vulnerable to things that promote life - - apples, love, saving people and what not. It’s in the similar vein (pun intended) to how vampires are so wretched in folklore that the Sun and the cross repulse them. I did like the design of Jealousy or whatever that monster was called. He looked like a patchwork Frankenstein. Actually, I’d like to see more of these Shinigami. The ones in the opener look so fun.

And speaking of the Shinigami, what’s up with L’s freak-out over the mere possibility of them? He’s been so cool and calm about dealing with an invincible telekinetic this whole time, you’d figure he’d be prepared for demons.  Perhaps he can reconcile ESP with science, while gods of death are just so far removed from reality that the mere thought of their existence shatters his world. I get the feeling that this small bit is going to be a lot more relevant later. Just imagine how he’ll react if he ever sees Ryuk with his own eyes.

One last thing about the Shinigami, since we’re on a roll, here. Are they part of Japanese folklore? Maybe Shinotism? Or were they made up for this show? 

You can check out this episode, "Love", on Hulu here and my thoughts on the last episode here.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Post by CapeBarnes (494 posts) See mini bio Level 18

On that (death) note, I’ll be honest and say that the revelation that the Shinigami’s death knell is love runs a bit cheesy.

Come to think of it, so much for a "love hurts" joke: in this case, love kills, Ok, seriously, I don't blame L for freaking out. I would too.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Misa is the quintessential Loli Goth girl.  It's no wonder the series is popular with that crowd. Not just because the object of a Death Note is an ideal weapon for such a clique. The weapon of a coward who can only strike someone from a distance in such a way they are never actually put in harms way.

It's certainly pushing things that they all go to the same school, but in a way, that I wont go into here, it does make some sense. I just don't want to spoil matters. There is also a worse coincidence about it all. 
L entered the school to get to Light. That's explained at least.

Don't you remember the excitement you hear on L's voice when he first witnessed Kira's killing of his fake in episode #2? It was kind of distorted.

The Shinigami is sort of a part of Japanese folklore. They are the equivalent of our Grim Reaper. That's why in series a shinigami may have a scythe ( Soul Eater). It's evolved from European ideals around the Meiji Era. While they long predate this series. It is more modern and isn't related to any of the Shinto gods. The Shinto religion does have deities that deal with death, but are not really "shinigami". Manga and anime popularized the term in modern era, but they appeared in various plays during the Meiji Period
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Misa doesn't go to school
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
The coincidences in Death Note are not too foreign. There are coincidences like this all the time in stories and by now I have become desensitized to most of them. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far. There is a moment at the end of Death Note that really tested that, but I'll wait and see how you respond to it.
Post by Catolf (254 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@FoxxFireArt said:
" Misa is the quintessential Loli Goth girl.  It's no wonder the series is popular with that crowd. Not just because the object of a Death Note is an ideal weapon for such a clique. The weapon of a coward who can only strike someone from a distance in such a way they are never actually put in harms way.
Misa was 19 when we meet her, basically an adult, in no way a loli. She was the 'girl' of the group with a Shinigami. As much as she somewhat annoyed I likened her to Harley Quinn, this I was able to like her much more.

Another such weapon with be a sniper rifle. pew pew
@Catolf said:
" Misa was 19 when we meet her, basically an adult, in no way a loli. She was the 'girl' of the group with a Shinigami. As much as she somewhat annoyed I likened her to Harley Quinn, this I was able to like her much more.  Another such weapon with be a sniper rifle. pew pew "
Loli Goth is the name of a clothing style. Loli Goth is just where you dress in dark clothes with lots of frills in a doll-like fashion. You can be an adult and dress like a loli goth.

A sniper rifle needs line of sight. You have to be within a certain area of effect. It also takes skill to use the further away you strike. A Death Note needs no such limits and can be used from the safety of the home while the target could be hundreds of miles away. The Death Note only needs penmanship.
Post by DawnMaier (7 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@FoxxFireArt: Misa really is more Gothic Punk than Gothic Lolita in fashion- she only wears Lolita once in the anime and in a movie. It's a common misconception that she's a Lolita but her clothes in no way resemble proper Lolita fashion.
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @Catolf said:
" Misa was 19 when we meet her, basically an adult, in no way a loli. She was the 'girl' of the group with a Shinigami. As much as she somewhat annoyed I likened her to Harley Quinn, this I was able to like her much more.  Another such weapon with be a sniper rifle. pew pew "
Loli Goth is the name of a clothing style. Loli Goth is just where you dress in dark clothes with lots of frills in a doll-like fashion. You can be an adult and dress like a loli goth.  A sniper rifle needs line of sight. You have to be within a certain area of effect. It also takes skill to use the further away you strike. A Death Note needs no such limits and can be used from the safety of the home while the target could be hundreds of miles away. The Death Note only needs penmanship. "
Why not just say Lolita? When you say Loli goth that is the picture that comes to mind. A small child, dressed as a goth. Even then she only does that a few times? The rest is just goth.

@Catolf:
The Death Note requires skill not to be caught. Not how to use it. That only requires the ability to write. All from the safety of one's home.
A sniper requires skill to aim and be sure to hit what they are aiming at. Also, if the hit will be lethal.

Having skill not to be caught is a completely separate issue to the ability to use the item. One requires great skill and training if you want to use it right. The other, you just need a pen with ink.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt: Ah, so a little East/West cultural exchange.
Staff
@Gasero:  Everybody keeps warning me about this show getting bad soon.
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt: Ah, so a little East/West cultural exchange. "
Bingo. 

@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @Gasero:  Everybody keeps warning me about this show getting bad soon. "
"getting bad" is subjective. Something Earth shattering happens, that I would rather fall on my own mechanical pencil then spoil for you. I wont even tell you my reaction to that event out of fear it would give too much away.

Don't let everyone make you paranoid. Just enjoy the ride.
Post by Gasero (167 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@Tom_Pinchuk: 

FireFoxArt is right. "Bad" is subjective. I still enjoyed the latter half of the series. It all depends on how the viewer chooses to interpret the way everything unfolds. I think most people say it "gets bad" because the author didn't write the series the way they wanted it to go.  Not every series will go your way, but that doesn't make it bad.

I already have my point of view and I am satisfied with it, but it is interesting hearing your comments as you view the series from beginning to end.
Post by FuhrerRoyMustang (69 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I didn't really like Misa in this episode the first time I saw it.
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @Catolf: The Death Note requires skill not to be caught. Not how to use it. That only requires the ability to write. All from the safety of one's home.A sniper requires skill to aim and be sure to hit what they are aiming at. Also, if the hit will be lethal.  Having skill not to be caught is a completely separate issue to the ability to use the item. One requires great skill and training if you want to use it right. The other, you just need a pen with ink. "
It still requires skill. Often I've heard snipers called cowards because they hang back from the action and pop off enemy forces one by one. Light still has skill in using the medium he's using. It may be as simple as writing a name. But a lot of things are simple, if you downgrade it to just it's basic's.

1. baseball = you hit a ball. Catch it to get someone out, and or tag. Round bases..
  2. football = get a ball to the other side of the feild. Don't get tackled.
  3. Ping pong = Hit a ball over a tiny net back and forth.

Even Sniping can be rounded up as 'Hide, point, shoot. Reload."
@Catolf: 
Sure some yahoo can aim a rifle and hit someone at 50 yards, but what at a 100 or 300 yards? The idea is it get a kill shot on your first attempt. Not someone shooting randomly into a crowd. Meaning you have to hit an incredible small area.

All you need to use the death note to get a kill is write a name. You can't fail once the name is written. It can also be done from the safety of the home. Despite the target being miles away.

The two don't compare.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel