Death Note (Finally) Hits Hollywood

Topic started by gia on April 30, 2009. Last post by apoptosis61 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
He WILL Be Kira! He Will!
He WILL Be Kira! He Will!
Word has finally hit the Internets that Warner Bros. is (so far) going ahead with a Death Note live-action flick made in Hollywood-- and no, they haven't announced any casting.

So far the primary names attached to the film are scriptwriters Charley and Vlas Parlapanides, who worked together on the upcoming 2010 film War of the Gods (Vlas also wrote the 2000 film Everything for a Reason and the 1997 film Across the sea).

Roy Lee, producer of such films as 2008's Assassination of a High School President, 2006's The Lake House, and 2002's The Ring, is producing the Death Note Hollywood flicks, along with Doug Davison (same credits, plus co-producer on Death to Smoochy, which gives me a bit of hope) and Brian Witten (2000's Final Destination, 1998's The Wedding Singer, 1997's Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Spawn).

Okay, guys, it's time once again: give us your casting calls, your wishlists, your “they'd better ______” and “they'd better NOT _______.” Yes, I'm doing what I can to get in touch with whoever possible to be sure I get information as soon as it comes available...but it's 9pm on the west coast, so at best we'll hear more tomorrow, I think.

EDIT: IMDb Pro's page for the film says it's tentatively due for 2010, which seems a bit quick, but groovy.
Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Ummm Gia, doublecheck your last two paragraphs.
Heero: fixed, thanks. That's the second time I've had the site crash Firefox when a post was ready to go and had it do something weird like that...>_> But I was in such a rush to get this up XD
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I'm not sure what would be funnier...Zac Efron's fans getting pissed about him playing a sociopath, or Death Note fans getting pissed about him being in the film at all.

Guess we'll find out.
Post by AddictedtoText (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
ohhh he'd be a Great Light!!!
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
After all this time, Zac Efron is Kira. There is no other option.
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
No.
No?
Post by lyricaldanichan (5 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Haha I wonder if Ryuk will still look like Ryuk..

I wonder if Misa's name will be changed to Lisa.
Post by Kiriska (112 posts) See mini bio Level 2
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE.

D8

There is already a live-action Death Note. Two, in fact. They were great. Please don't ruin it for me. (Still haven't seen L change the WorLd. Not sure if want.)
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
lanaswift said:
"I wonder if Misa's name will be changed to Lisa."
Well, at least they won't change Light's name to Rick.
Sigue: True. But Mello will be like, Michael "Mellow" something-or-other and Near will be Neal.
Post by Rathany (81 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Zac Efron as Kira would be pure awesome!  
gia said:
"No?"
I watch animes for the animes. I don't watch them just so I can get a live-action version of them.
@Kou_Leifoh: Well, no, and I don't read manga just so that they'll get an anime version either. But if I think something interesting is being done with the anime version, I'll check it out.
lanaswift said:
"@Kou_Leifoh: Well, no, and I don't read manga just so that they'll get an anime version either. But if I think something interesting is being done with the anime version, I'll check it out."
The same art style you see from the manga is apply into the anime.

Look, I don't care for this film, but I don't have a problem for people who do, so I'm just going to ignore it from now on.

Also, I was one of the many people who wanted video games version of some of my favorite animes like DragonBall Z, but Atari ruin it with a bunch of crappy DBZ games.
Post by rageanddoom (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1

Zac Efron needs to be Kira. 

Who should direct?

ETA:  I am a Zac Efron fan and I really want him to play a sociopath.  In fact, a lot of Zac fans do. 

Post by yuetheguardian (93 posts) See mini bio Level 7
We are not the only site with thoughts on zec efron for Kira, check out ANN's thread someone posted the picture. and it blew up from there
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Perhaps this is why he isn't in that FMP movie. He has to follow his true calling.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel