ADV's Got the Darkside Blues

Topic started by gia on June 3, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 4 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
ADV
picked up a few Central Park Media titles right after CPM declared bankruptcy, and soon they'll also be distributing Sentai Filmworks' new Geneon rescues, and now they've added another former victim to their growing anime orphanage. (I really kinda like the image of ADV as a sort of den mother tending to a ragtag bunch of loveable anime. Heehee.)

And frankly, I'm thrilled at this one: Darkside Blues, based on a manga written by Hideyuki Kikuchi, the author of Vampire Hunter D. The anime, a single film, follow's the two-volume manga's plot revolving around a futuristic Kabuki-cho, Japan, one of the few places in the world that have yet to b taken over by the Persona Century Corporation. But how much longer can it last?

A mysterious stranger comes to town, as they so often do in these situations, whose name is Darkside, and he begins to protect the citizens of Kabuki-cho while unveiling more of the world setting's secrets to the audience.

It's a pretty neat film, one I remember watching...it must have been six or seven years ago, at the anime club I ran in Portland. Beautiful piece, even if the 1988 classic probably looks a bit dated animation-wise today. The story continues to resonate.

ADV's re-release of the film comes out August 18th, and I strongly recommend checking it out!
Post by brushfire0 (20 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Dear lord YES!!!!
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Oh, man, I remember this one, kinda. Weird as shit. I'd watch it again.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I will watch it.
Post by ScarletKittie (131 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I didn't realize it had a movie! Does anyone know how closely it follows the original manga?
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@ScarletKittie: I wish I did, but I've never read the original. :\
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel