Watch & Learn: COWBOY BEBOP #23

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 7, 2010. Last post by SamJaz 4 years ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
   Pay no attention to the man behind the multi-media cult commercials..
 Pay no attention to the man behind the multi-media cult commercials..

For a while, this show eased up a bit on the movie references, but the homages are back in full force for this one, which reminded me a whole hell of a lot of VIDEODROME. Anybody of you lunatics who enjoyed the RING movies should check that out, as it was a huge influence on all of them. Deceitful Dr. Londes is basically VIDEODROME's Prof. Brian O’Blivion, although with a bit less creep and a little more Indian guru.    

I got a special chuckle over how Spike handled Londes' pamphleteers. Back in college, I had to go through a gauntlet of crazy kids from Lyndon Larouche's street team. I wish I could've handled them with as much wit, but I was usually running late to class. You need some time to be witty..  

Knowing that previous episodes weren't broadcast in America for a while because of their proximity to the World Trade Center attacks, I can't help wondering if this episode might’ve had similar trouble when it first ran in Japan. I know that cults have been an especially touchy subject there ever since the Aum Shinrikyu sarin gas attacks and this was broadcast only a few years after all of that. Then again, they do have that sly comment on the kids program where the cutesy host says they're subject to the same rules and restrictions that everything else on the network is. Maybe the Japanese networks are less squeamish  about this.  

Then again, I remember reading about how EVA ran into problems regarding its content, so maybe one of you more knowledgeable lunatics needs to educate me on this.

The told-in-ones are interesting with their set-up and follow-up. We just see that Faye’s in the cult, and have to infer how she got there. Then, we don't really get to her (presumed) deprogramming. I imagine we’ll see her as she usually is, next episode, without any further explanation.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here    &   here .

Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Well the most famous instance of an anime getting pulled is the "nice boat" incident.
 http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/nice-boat
Staff
@vergilius: Ha ha... I can only imagine being somebody who was watching that when it first aired.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,648 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Something you almost always find out about cults after they eventually self destruct. The leaders turn out to be either massive perverts or drug addicts. Jonestown and Waco. I'll do some crazy things to get a date with a beautiful woman, but I draw the line at creating a cult.

I'm not a person who believes that Faye was a true believer, but was trying to get close from within for the bounty. She did go in there armed. He was already wanted, and cult leaders are often violently protected by it's members.

After watching this episode. I always wonder, how many people tried that URL at the end of the propaganda commercial seen at the start? The same way people always seem to try phone numbers from movies or songs, ala "867-5309".

Best part of this episode that I always loved "That is why our station has the strictest broadcasting policies prohibiting programs such as the one you're watching."

@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @vergilius: Ha ha... I can only imagine being somebody who was watching that when it first aired. "
I can understand delaying an episode due to certain levels of sensitivity, but you can go overboard (boat pun intended).

It's pretty much the same feeling U.S. users must feel from much of VIZ Media's censorship of manga. Frequently to removed mature content from series and replace them with incredibly childish replacements. It would be a different matter if they would offer these series uncensored, but refuse to. That's why I boycott all their products and I wont touch any VIZ series profiles on Anime Vice.
Post by SamJaz (13,022 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Cults brainwash people. They're very good at it.

Just like to say that I bloody hate Cults. I'm a Mormon, and do you have any idea how many cults use our scriptire, our doctrine, and our name so they can have orgies with teenage girls? It sickens me.

Back to Bebop. Vicious returns after the next episode, and he stays until the finale.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" Something you almost always find out about cults after they eventually self destruct. The leaders turn out to be either massive perverts or drug addicts. Jonestown and Waco. I'll do some crazy things to get a date with a beautiful woman, but I draw the line at creating a cult.   
Ha ha... I like the way you break it down.@FoxxFireArt said: 

I'm not a person who believes that Faye was a true believer, but was trying to get close from within for the bounty. She did go in there armed. He was already wanted, and cult leaders are often violently protected by it's members.

That does make  sense. Although, she did have that glassy eyed looked.@FoxxFireArt said: 
After watching this episode. I always wonder, how many people tried that URL at the end of the propaganda commercial seen at the start? The same way people always seem to try phone numbers from movies or songs, ala "867-5309".

I was tempted to try and then said "Nah." 

@FoxxFireArt said: 
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @vergilius: Ha ha... I can only imagine being somebody who was watching that when it first aired. "
I can understand delaying an episode due to certain levels of sensitivity, but you can go overboard (boat pun intended).
Ay-oh!
Staff
@SamJaz said:
" Cults brainwash people. They're very good at it.

Just like to say that I bloody hate Cults. I'm a Mormon, and do you have any idea how many cults use our scriptire, our doctrine, and our name so they can have orgies with teenage girls? It sickens me.    
 Yeah, Warren Jaffs is a creeper.
  Back to Bebop. Vicious returns after the next episode, and he stays until the finale. "
Oh no!
@Tom_Pinchuk: Don't worry. It is epic. And it's only for the 25th and 26th episodes.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,648 posts) See mini bio Level 25
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:

That does make  sense. Although, she did have that glassy eyed looked.
If you want to invade a beehive. You first have to act like a bee.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@FoxxFireArt said:

After watching this episode. I always wonder, how many people tried that URL at the end of the propaganda commercial seen at the start? The same way people always seem to try phone numbers from movies or songs, ala "867-5309"

The nice thing about websites is that you can actually put something there fairly cheaply.  This one is from Serial Experiments Lain:  http://mebious.co.uk/
I assume it is a fansite.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
This was vertainly an odd episode and I'm kind of surprised nobody felt ashamed they were duped by a comatose kid. I'm confused as to whether the hacking was done by Ed or Ein, too.

@SamJaz
said:
"I'm a Mormon, and do you have any idea how many cults use our scriptire, our doctrine, and our name so they can have orgies with teenage girls? It sickens me."
How interesting. I did a big history report on the Mormons when I was in Jr. High. I have the Book of Mormon and at any time I can visit the old jail in Carthage or the church in Nauvoo.
@sotyfan16: That's pretty cool. I'm over in the UK, so none of that for me, sadly.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel