Watch & Learn: COWBOY BEBOP #19

Topic started by No_name_here on Oct. 22, 2010. Last post by Frostalicious 3 years, 10 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
  This episode needed more Edward. You think she'd play a bigger part in a story about computer viruses.
 This episode needed more Edward. You think she'd play a bigger part in a story about computer viruses.

What's funny about watching COWBOY BEBOP for the first time, now, is that it always strikes me as being very 90s. The characters aren't wearing tied-off plaid or listening to grunge, but... let me put it his way -  - this takes place in the far future and they have to explain what a computer virus is. Also, man... the CG models in this episode really haven’t aged well. I was never a fan of this stuff, even at the time. It always drew me out of the experience. And I really think the glaring discrepancies could’ve been avoided easily if they’d covered the 3D models with 2D line work and cel shaded colors, as the animators of AKIRA did.  

As is, those portions make me feel like I'm looking at a PS1 game.

I haven't been paying attention to the individual credits, of course, but I'm starting to wonder if this show's got a rotating roster of directors, because it feels like every fourth episode gets kind of cluttered and unfocused. This is another one where I lost track of what was happening rather quickly. I was following it up until the point where Spike ran out of gas, but I guess I blinked and missed something crucially important seconds-long frame, because I didn't totally grasp what was going on with the pirates and their computer virus.   

I’m sure it makes total sense with a second viewing after I’ve seen the whole series, right?

I did like the Blue Sox lid, though. He reminded me a lot of the Red Sox fans (not necessarily the "Massholes") I knew when I was going to school. Seeing Spike's non-plussed reaction to the kid prattling on about game stats reminded me the amusing double-standard of  obsessive fan-bases. The general public might snicker at cosplayers at conventions, but I see that as actually pretty mild in comparison to grown men who're going to paint their bodies and go shirtless in freezing weather for the big game.  

But that's a rant for another time....

I have to mention how great the delivery bus’ reaction was to gunfire was. "We’ll pay the parking ticket! We’re sorry!" Ha! They must’ve thought they were dealing with the LAPD parking authority.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &  here .

Post by Beomoose (13 posts) See mini bio Level 5
When I first watched this ep, I was ready to consign it to the boring bin up until the horizontal Space Shuttle launch. JATO bottles + lower Martian Gravity + Fuel tank in the cargo bay probably still wouldn't = Martian Orbit, but it looked pretty great.
Post by SamJaz (12,708 posts) See mini bio Level 20
First off, embarrasing typo where you missed the L in a word beginning with P. You really want to fix that.

Second, I'm actually watching Trigun, and I feel like I keep getting shut out due to the timeframe it was released, it's that old. While it wasn't as bad with Cowboy Bebop, I get where you're coming from.

And hilarious sportsfan-cosplayer comparison. I get tired the amount of times I have to explain to my dad that I don't watch stupid cartoons. I watch stories. Which is why I dropped LOST half-way through the last season.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
All around a good episode.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@SamJaz: What... you've never heard of the general pubic?
@Tom_Pinchuk: I have actually. I was just assuming you were referring to the General Public.
Post by j_zero (3 posts) See mini bio Level 4
There's another 90s moment, the shuttle is 'Columbia', which has since been destroyed in an accident.
Post by Beomoose (13 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Tom_Pinchuk:  
Does General Pubic hand out with Admiral......ok, I got nothing.
Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@j_zero said:
" There's another 90s moment, the shuttle is 'Columbia', which has since been destroyed in an accident. "
Which is why this episode was pulled from the Adult Swim rotation after the Columbia disaster (after the Teddy Bomber episode). 

Oh, and while this is in my mind, Tom, the Cowboy Bebop movie fits in the continuity before Hard Luck Women, and is set around Halloween, so if you haven't decided when you're gonna watch it yet, that might help you make up your mind.
Post by Gaff (213 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @SamJaz: What... you've never heard of the general pubic? "
@Beomoose: You're thinking of the Navy. A General is Army. 

I know. I served with General Pubic, Major Woody and Private Parts in the Great War of '69.
@Gaff: Huh. Wasn't that war talked about in Panty & Stocking this week?
@SamJaz: Haven't seen the third episode yet. I hope they treat the Battle for the Bulge with the respect it deserve. We lost a great deal of fine sea men in that battle.
@Gaff: Ow. My brain.
All my military puns are along the lines of Corporal Punishment. Make an innuendo of that if you want.
@SamJaz: Ah, good ol' Corporal Punishment.  

We always had a great time when ol' CP came along. The MPs were never far behind though. I heard he got mauled by a bear in a freak accident. 

Hmm, stretching it now, aren't I?
@Gaff: I'm amazed we got it this far to be fair. Beats my previous record of extending the seamstress = prostitutes joke. Remember to use a thimble at all times.
Post by gla55jAw (109 posts) See mini bio Level 13
This episode was alright. I can't wait to see your reaction to the next episode though. It's a weird one and one of my favorites.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@gla55jAw: It's my roommate's favorite as well.  I'm more of a Ganymede Elegy kind of guy, I guess, but more than liking any one episode of Bebop I like the effect the show has as a whole.

Also, the music and Faye's prominently featured assets.
Post by gla55jAw (109 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@vergilius said:

" @gla55jAw: It's my roommate's favorite as well.  I'm more of a Ganymede Elegy kind of guy, I guess, but more than liking any one episode of Bebop I like the effect the show has as a whole.  Also, the music and Faye's prominently featured assets. "

I too love the show as a whole more than any single episode, but Pierrot le Fou always sticks out to me since it's so strange.
Post by Frostalicious (44 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@gla55jAw said:
I too love the show as a whole more than any single episode, but Pierrot le Fou always sticks out to me since it's so strange. "
 Pierrot le Fou and  Sympathy for the Devil are probably my two favorite episodes.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel