This is what I don't like about animes...

Topic started by GMan on Nov. 3, 2008. Last post by Death_Flame 5 years, 11 months ago.
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
I know I'm not the only one that digs Cowboy Bebop.  It's one of the more popular animes in America.  Why only 26 episodes?  What I'm saying is I want more.  Knowing that there was a small number of episodes made, I took my time in watching them all.  I didn't want to go through them all at once.  Why are so many animes finite? 

I can appreciate when there's a firm direction to the story.  I don't want things dragged out just for the sake of extending things.  It just seems like this series could've lasted longer.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Well...speaking from the perspective of a writer, a story should only be as long as it needs to be. If you start adding more episodes because people would buy them, you'll keep doing it until blah blah shark jump etc. You either do it or you don't; it's hard to go halfway on that.

I think that Japan's general policy that every series that starts already has a planned length and ending makes some of their shows way better than American shows, which always have the goal of lasting as long as possible. Some shows are so popular that they get extended (Code Geass was originally supposed to be one 26-ep season, but it was so popular that about 3/4ths of the way through the season they announced that they were doing a second season...which was quite a gamble; the second season turned out to be pretty fun, but the first season's ending was, as far as most were concerned, a real stinker).

But Code Geass is one of the most pandering series in recent memory. Bebop isn't popular because it's slavishly devoted to hitting all the key popularity points of its demographic, it's popular because it's a fantastically-done depiction of its characters. I would enjoy watching further adventures, but I know it'd be almost impossible for them to do more Bebop without eventually running it into the ground, so I'm content to let it be what it is instead.

...They DID make the movie, though.
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
I'm all for not jumping the shark but unless you've completely run out of ideas, it just seems there could've been more.  Yeah there was a movie but for the obvious reasons, it had to take place in between episodes.  I know I'm just being greedy but it just seems that ending it is too easy on the writers' part.  Sure it's great if they have an original plan and don't give in to the money aspect and try to churn out more but still.  I want more.
Post by Triton (156 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Maybe they ran out of Music related episode titles :P
Post by DualReaver (136 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I actually prefer shorter animes. I just can't invest myself into an anime with hundreds of episodes.
Post by Triton (156 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I kinda feel the same. I tried to get into Full Metal Alchemist, missed a few episodes, and was just lost
Post by Winchester (338 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I do think the series could have lasted a little longer but it was still an amazing anime.

The same with FMA it was a short anime and things changed from the manga but still its considered one of the best animes. Sometimes the shorter series are the best. 
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
26 episodes is far from short. This is the standard length of a season, and sequels aren't nearly as common as they are for American franchises. Even 13 episode shows aren't unheard of. In all honesty, most shows that go over one season have trouble maintaining whatever made it popular in the first place. There are exceptions, of course, but the longest running shows, while wildly popular, can hardly be considered good. I'm happier with a good 26 than with 300 episodes of crap.
Post by Winchester (338 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Sigue said:
"26 episodes is far from short. This is the standard length of a season, and sequels aren't nearly as common as they are for American franchises. Even 13 episode shows aren't unheard of. In all honesty, most shows that go over one season have trouble maintaining whatever made it popular in the first place. There are exceptions, of course, but the longest running shows, while wildly popular, can hardly be considered good. I'm happier with a good 26 than with 300 episodes of crap."
Agreed.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
it really is about quality, not quantity in my view. i have watched 13 episode series which were great and i have watched 50 episode titles which bored me stupid for most of it.
i know when you get something like cowboy bepop you want more episodes , but like gia said when an anime is created they have a story they want to tell, and when that story is done, they dont want to do anymore just for the sake of doing it. another bepop movie would be possible though as they could just place it in the existing timeline. but i doubt that will ever happen
Post by yorro (41 posts) See mini bio Level 4
You did watched the movie right?
Post by mtelford (12 posts) See mini bio Level 3
i would love to see series run longer but try to think of it from just starting out.  I got into bleach around eps 90 and that will still alot to catch up on.  Think about trying to start out watching Bleach or One Piece now.
Post by HumanoidTyphoon (2 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I agree with Lemegeton300, it's all about the quality. Now, I'm not saying that shorter animes are always superior, but from my experience that's usually the case.  They have a set story in mind, they don't have to worry about filler and expanding it further than it needs to go. No sidetracking. Some say that it's more difficult to get into the characters with shorter animes, but if the narrative is quality, character development and "attachment" isn't an issue. Obviously I'm bummed when an anime I enjoy ends at 13-23 episodes, but as long as the ride was great, I'm satisfied.
Post by Guyver (3,424 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I feel the same as well. It's the same thing with Guyver. They kinda rebooted a bit several times. But at least Pokemon and DBZ are exceptions.
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8
GMan said:
"I know I'm not the only one that digs Cowboy Bebop.  It's one of the more popular animes in America.  Why only 26 episodes?  What I'm saying is I want more.  Knowing that there was a small number of episodes made, I took my time in watching them all.  I didn't want to go through them all at once.  Why are so many animes finite? 

I can appreciate when there's a firm direction to the story.  I don't want things dragged out just for the sake of extending things.  It just seems like this series could've lasted longer."

thats what i say about Elfen Lied but no it only has 13 episodes
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Is it a funding issue?

I know that cartoons, anime all that stuff is very expensive... perhaps they are limited

though i woudl ahve thought Japan had a good budget system for these
Post by Toasterface (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
DualReaver said:
"I actually prefer shorter animes. I just can't invest myself into an anime with hundreds of episodes."
Totally agreed, I feel much more comfortable starting a short anime with an end point I can see rather than one that is hundreds of episodes long. Not to say I like either one of them better, but I tend to watch the shorter series more often.
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
The most amazing about cowboy bebop is that even if the series is rather short it did manage to spawn a over 5 different soundtracks. That are all great might i add.
Post by WilliamRLBaker (16 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I didn't like cowboy bebop cause in the end it made no real sense.

hmmm I cant seem to do a spoiler hiding so nevermind.
Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
See the one real thing I hate. IS FILLER EPISODES............ DONT DO THEM PLESE LOL a story should be as long as its life anything after and your flogging a dead donkey for money and could ruin everything you started with Dragon Ball GT is a prime example of something that should never have been pushed futher then DBZ. GT ruined everything :D.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel