Wonder-con '10: A Story Told With Photos

Topic started by John_Martone on April 5, 2010. Last post by sora_thekey 4 years, 6 months ago.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10

AHR (recording for Comic Vine,) SoraTheKey, and Gia run into each other at DC/CMX's Booth
 AHR (recording for Comic Vine,) SoraTheKey, and Gia run into each other at DC/CMX's Booth
Okay, so it may not have been the (anime) industry favorite of the weekend, but Wonder-con, a San Francisco based convention had quite a bit going on. Granted, most of it had to do with destroying my wallet. Less generic anime merc, but plenty of fun/quirky/high end work. Apparently, one shop was even selling Perfect Grade Gundam kits (which are huge!) for about 40 dollars under normal prices. Granted, they still cost more than $200, but good for those guys.

Stuff I wished I had bought/did buy:

Several things caught my eye, but what I really fell in love with was, of course, the shojo Scarlett Wtich, and this one Hayate the Combat Butler model. I stopped watching the show awhile back, but remember finding the cat-girl episode(s?) the most hilarious. So, yes, as I saw the figure, i was in love.

Cosplay:

So, first off, making little kids cosplay is adorable. The kid dressed up as the main character from "Where the Wild Things Are" made my heart grow 3 times. Also, props to the transformer/bumblebee. Not only was he a stilt walking cosplayer, but he had these super awesome light-up eyes. Also, Taco-man was a funny guy.
Post by metalsnakezero (676 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Get the Hayate Figure Gia.
Post by AHR (115 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Staff
OMG that picture of me at the head of this post is actually the best picture of me ever taken.  

Popular trends in costumes that I noticed:

Poison Ivy for the ladies (saw at least five walking around)
Henchman 24 for both boys and girls (it's always nice when there's a good cosplay options for bigger folk)
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I'm curious as to whats the point of these kind of conventions? Every time i have ever seen people talk about them it was always about ether looking at all the costumes or buying stuff like toys/posters/books etc.
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Drools at the Iron Man figure.............................................................
O cool Prinny teddy XD
Post by Papasan (160 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I had a chance to go, but like you said, that con is low on anime... So, dang it, I miss another chance to say Howdy to yous guys.
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13

For some reason the cosplayer women I seen so far from pictures from Wonder-con and Con-nichiwa this year haven't been all that great. 
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@crusader8463 said:
" I'm curious as to whats the point of these kind of conventions? Every time i have ever seen people talk about them it was always about ether looking at all the costumes or buying stuff like toys/posters/books etc. "
I guess it really depends on what you're looking for... but in concept, I'd say that conventions serve the purpose of
  • Gathering like minded fans together-discussion
  • Creating an environment where its socially acceptable for people to embrace those sectors of their nerdom (like say, a computer LAN, Anime Club, or really large scale comic shop)
  • Specialty businesses can gather/field low yield merchandise (rare comics or video games, expensive figures)
  • Industry news/Industry guests
  • Anime con's also put an additional focus on like, viewing rooms, where they have 6'ish rooms with programs scheduled to expose people to new shows, premiere xyz thing.'

I could go on, but I assume you get the point. Like, I didn't go to my first Anime con till I was 23'ish, but conventions in general are a pretty interesting experience. (of course, this is dependent on the quality of said convention)

@Papasan said:
" I had a chance to go, but like you said, that con is low on anime... So, dang it, I miss another chance to say Howdy to yous guys. "
Dude, it's okay, you can just tell us that you're scared of meeting Gia in person.
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@John_Martone: This is totally late... but I just realized you posted that... Now I can see that there's proof of me meeting you guys there!
Although.... could you have not used such a gay pose?!?!?

It was great meeting you guys!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel