Watch & Learn: CODE GEASS #21

Topic started by No_name_here on May 21, 2011. Last post by ninjadude853 3 years, 6 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Somebody make a meme out of this image, already.
Somebody make a meme out of this image, already.

This episode features a mech suit that’s more-or-less designed to spin giant pizza pies. I will no longer question if the creators of this show are in on the joke. If I brought it up before, I apologize for the repetition, but this show is nevertheless reminding me of the original SCARFACE - - a thriller that ridicules itself in the same breath that it relishes what it does without apology. If the pizza flipping doesn’t make you agree, than those shenanigans in that one storage shed surely must have. So many complex angles of secrets and understanding, all solved by some party gas and a few toppled slates. Or how about Kallen going straight from high stakes matters of rebellion to scrub work as a spook house monster? Somehow, I don’t think they were going for pathos and irony by having her sweat underneath all that foam while watching a hi-tech radar monitor of the house's floor plan.

Euphemia seems to be getting established pretty soundly as the holy fool in this show. Her declaring Tokyo to be independent is tantamount to your 13-year-old cousin grabbing the mic at your sister’s wedding to “roast” everybody at the bridal table, isn’t it? I also love how that whole dramatic profession of love from last episode has so few repercussions in this episode that it may as well have never happened. Generally, when you have two teenagers with functioning hormonal glands professing their mutual love and adoration that eloquently, it at least leads to them going steady. I suppose the “rules of attraction” are as topsy-turvy in Sector 11 as the rules of physics are.

To get a little more logical, why is it so shocking to people that Zero’s agenda was for independence. Isn’t that the aim of every rebellion? Or was everybody just thinking his plan was to keep pulling pranks for the foreseeable future?

Watch this episode "The School Festival Declaratin" below, decide for yourself and then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I'm pretty sure the thing they're surprised about is that he's saying they should do it without any external aide. They should do it all on their own. Which actually is pretty surprising. I dont' know all that much about actual historical rebellions, but i do know that the US wouldn't have become independent if it weren't for French and Dutch aide.

All the pizza stuff comes from the fact that this show was sponsored by Pizza Hut back in Japan. And the Ganymede wasn't made specifically for that (in-universe at least), that was actually the first Knightmare ever build that Milly's family owns, and now she uses it to make pizza... because she's crazy!

The whole point of this episode is basically to be a breather, to give one moment of calm before all the serious stuff that's about to happen.

Oh, and I've recently wondered something about Euphemia's plan... it's basically a reservation right?
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Oh Tom..don't get so caught up in the trivial and jovial things going on right now. The next 4 eps are going to blow everything in and out of proportion and presumably leave you shouting some expletives.
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Just enjoy the happiness while you can, seriously.
Post by zaldar (1,295 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Heh.  Yes they are in on the joke...but that doesn't stop them from having some cool reveals and some interesting stuff that happens.  Looking forward to the responses on the next few epsidoes...and all of the second season for that matter...
Post by Lurkero (415 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I forgot about the pizza robot, good times.

If you haven't realized by now Tom, its so common for anime to switch tones so fast that it rarely matters anymore. Remember in Fullmetal when Ed would be in a serious moment then suddenly go chibi because someone joked about his height? That's pretty much how I felt this entire episode was. I think there is another to come as well.
I'm really, really curious to see how you react to the next episode. I bet you'll be pissed.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,648 posts) See mini bio Level 25

If the lighthearted stuff was getting you down. Yeah, get ready to get heavy... fast.

Code Geass: Japanese to U.S. comparison

An interesting fact that you wouldn't know by only watching the U.S. production of the series. In Japan, all the pizza boxes had the Pizza Hut logo on them. It was removed for airing in the U.S. Though, there was an example of product placement that wasn't shown. Ever notice when a computer screen is shown that you see a logo that says "Biglobe". That's an actual Japanese internet search company. For whatever reason they didn't remove that logo.

Kallen was dressed as a type of Japanese monster. The literal name escapes me at the moment but it's a monster wall. You actually sometimes see it in RPGs. I know there was one in FFVII.

@ninjadude853 said:

I'm pretty sure the thing they're surprised about is that he's saying they should do it without any external aide. They should do it all on their own. Which actually is pretty surprising. I dont' know all that much about actual historical rebellions, but i do know that the US wouldn't have become independent if it weren't for French and Dutch aide.

The difference is that the French and the Dutch weren't planning on making the American Colonies into one of their own. That's what the Chinese Federation had planned. They were going to use those former Japanese politicians as a puppet government. The Black Knights are fighting a war of rebellion. Not switching one dictator for another.

@lurkero:

It's actually not a pizza robot, thought it was being used for that. If you follow some of the back story. That's the Ganymede. It's a 3rd Generation KMF prototype design that was created by the Ashford Foundation. Lelouch's mother, Marianne, was the test pilot. They lost their financial backing, partly because of Milley's grandfather's parties; and it was never put into production. It became obsolete with the invention of the Yggdrasil Drive.

Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@FoxxFireArt said:

An interesting fact that you wouldn't know by only watching the U.S. production of the series. In Japan, all the pizza boxes had the Pizza Hut logo on them. It was removed for airing in the U.S. Though, there was an example of product placement that wasn't shown. Ever notice when a computer screen is shown that you see a logo that says "Biglobe". That's an actual Japanese internet search company. For whatever reason they didn't remove that logo

I had not noticed that before! But I did know about the product placement. I wonder if Tom has noticed how brand names are changed to avoid trademark payments (e.g. Apple, Sony, and Budweiser). It doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time it does. I've only noticed a couple series (manga and anime) where they go ahead and keep the product name.
Post by VanTesla (30 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@FoxxFireArt said:

If the lighthearted stuff was getting you down. Yeah, get ready to get heavy... fast.

An interesting fact that you wouldn't know by only watching the U.S. production of the series. In Japan, all the pizza boxes had the Pizza Hut logo on them. It was removed for airing in the U.S. Though, there was an example of product placement that wasn't shown. Ever notice when a computer screen is shown that you see a logo that says "Biglobe". That's an actual Japanese internet search company. For whatever reason they didn't remove that logo.

Kallen was dressed as a type of Japanese monster. The literal name escapes me at the moment but it's a monster wall. You actually sometimes see it in RPGs. I know there was one in FFVII.

@ninjadude853 said:

The difference is that the French and the Dutch weren't planning on making the American Colonies into one of their own. That's what the Chinese Federation had planned. They were going to use those former Japanese politicians as a puppet government. The Black Knights are fighting a war of rebellion. Not switching one dictator for another.

@lurkero:

It's actually not a pizza robot, thought it was being used for that. If you follow some of the back story. That's the Ganymede. It's a 3rd Generation KMF prototype design that was created by the Ashford Foundation. Lelouch's mother, Marianne, was the test pilot. They lost their financial backing, partly because of Milley's grandfather's parties; and it was never put into production. It became obsolete with the invention of the Yggdrasil Drive.

I actualy liked the product placement in this anime. Made it feel more like a alternate reality. I mostly despise product placement though... but this I some how liked and was upset they censored the english version...
Post by CrackedOnyx (25 posts) See mini bio Level 10
This is pretty much the last bright moment in the season; it's a downhill run, emotionally speaking, from here to #25.  That being said, the pizza robot (yes, yes, I know it's an old prototype, but "pizza robot" is more fun than "the Ganymede") made me smile.  Part of this show's charm was in how totally ridiculous it could be at times.

@FoxxFireArt:  Yeah, there were demon walls in a few JRPGs I've played.  There was a pretty badass one in Final Fantasy XII.  Two of them, actually.  Irritating bastards.
Post by Rxanadu (83 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Pizza robot antics aside, I will say this about the next episode: You are not ready

The next thing you think about when you see the next episode is this:

Also, the product placement completely took me out of the scenes they were in and instead reminded me of the episodes of Darker than Black that had Pizza Hut slapped all over it.

Next, I love how no one suspects Euphemia is just waltzing through the school campus until her giant obnoxious hat flies of into the wind.  Isn't this the second time this kind of scenario has happened?  I mean, who else could have pink hair tied up in "Princess Leia" buns? 

Finally, to those who actually finished the series: 
@rxanadu: What movie is that from? Oh, and Carve-tan does in fact stay under Geass throughout the whole series. Supplements (or word of god, i can't remember which) tell us that she eventually moved back to the Homeland, where she promptly suffered a nervous breakdown because she couldn't mark the walls every day. They had to send her to a mental hospital.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel